A Little Night Music

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Clio

A Little Night Music

Postby Clio » Thu May 11, 2017 3:42 pm

I’m not particularly interested in birds, and usually the only ones which register with me are the eagles from the ravine up the road, which are breathtaking, the martins pooing on my skala which are a blasted nuisance, and the skops owl which is unmistakeable.

But the last couple of nights, going into the bathroom to do the ablutions, I’ve been stopped in my tracks by the birdsong pouring through the open window. A lovely liquid trilling melody which could turn even me into a bird person. It triggers a memory of an English shrubbery of long ago, but it’s the first time I’ve ever heard it here. So can somebody confirm that there are indeed nightingales on Crete?

Kilkis

Re: A Little Night Music

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 11, 2017 5:02 pm

I'm not a twitcher but I believe nightingales migrate backwards and forwards between Europe and north Africa so it would be quite possible for them to pass through Crete around this time of year. This site claims that they can be seen near Moni Preveli but I would guess they aren't specific to that tiny area, just that that is a good spot to see them.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:46 pm

........but also, depending on exactly what you mean by a lovely, liquid, trilling melody, could be a nightjar? It's all in the ear of the listener.

If you know for sure it's a nightingale, just ignore me.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 am

............... and it could also be a blackbird which has a variety of 'tunes' to sing, some of them strongly resembling other birds. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 am

Interesting post, Clio. As Warwick says, Crete is on the Nightingales' migration route, so it's entirely possible that is what you have been hearing. It could be a Blackbird, as Bob says, as they sing after dark. A Nightjar is also possible, although I wouldn't describe their call as lovely and trilling. Haunting, certainly, but more a staccato and rather mechanical sounding "trrrrrrrr trrrrrrrr" building to a crescendo (if you see what I mean -- doesn't translate to words very well.) There is another possibility (although the time of day makes it unlikely if, as I assume, you do your ablutions after dark!) and that is Bee Eaters. They produce a gorgeous tinkling melody and we often hear them in the early evening flying up the gorge below our house. Delightful little birds, but I don't think they sing after dark, so I'd guess it is a nightingale singing you to sleep.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri May 12, 2017 12:51 pm

There are certainly a lot of blackbirds around me at the moment. I keep expecting the cats to bring me one as a present. I can't say I have heard them singing at night, mostly during the day. I also get what I refer to as a "squeaking gate" bird. I have never seen one so I have no idea what they look like but their call is like a squeaking hinge. Very short and always two bursts. Sort of a high pitched, "Eee eee".

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri May 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Well, my bathroom window is only a few kilometres from Preveli, as crow & co fly, so I am encouraged by Warwick's link to believe that the bird is indeed the nightingale remembered from a Suffolk garden.

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu May 25, 2017 1:28 pm

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... ghtingale/

We have heard one West of Preveli Clio.

BST

Postby BST » Thu May 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Heard a nightingale in 2014 and 2015 round about April May time. Went on throughout the night. Nothing last year or this so far.

Return to “Chatter”