Photos (a few more)

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
filippos

Photos (a few more)

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

New gallery just uploaded.

Kilkis

Re: Photos (a few more)

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:57 pm

If anybody is viewing the photos using Firefox browser on a wide screen display, i.e. 16:9 form factor, it is better to use full screen mode. F11 to enter and exit this mode. Otherwise the captions on the photos shot in portrait mode tend to be off the bottom of the view.

Nice photos again. I presume the ones in Athens were taken a little while ago before Ermou street was trashed by rioters?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Kilkis wrote:If anybody is viewing the photos using Firefox browser on a wide screen display,.... it is better to use full screen mode. F11 to enter and exit this mode.............
I knew there was something I meant to suggest; thanks Warwick, especially as many people don't know that use of F11 (which I think works on several other browsers, too)
Nice photos again. I presume the ones in Athens were taken a little while ago before Ermou street was trashed by rioters? Warwick
Thanks, and 'Yes', 14 Sept last year between 20:26 and 20:38.
I'm playing a bit of catch-up and the next lot should get to end of 2016 or thereabouts.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Pic 30 looks more like the road down to Kapsodasos from Kallikratis to me, the road runs to the East of Kallikratis gorge.

The walk up and down Kallikratis gorge is a pleasant excursion and the chance of meeting other walkers is remote.

Peter

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks, Peter, you may well be right. The photo was taken late in October last year and most of the day was pretty miserable. A group of us met ............. I was 'tail end Charlie' so didn't pay much attention to the route . I do remember seeing a couple of road signs for Frangokastello: I probably have a copy of our route somewhere which should resolve things. The pics are in chronological order so I know we were well past Asi Gonia and I have a vague recollection of going through, or near, Kallikratis.

Edit: Idiot that I am, I was using my camera with GPS that day and, you are correct. That particular photo was taken from the 3rd bend from the top. To be fair, though the road does continue from Kapsodasos down to Frangokastello. I'll change the caption next time I add more pics to the site.
Last edited by filippos on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:47 pm

I must admit, Photo 30 did get me thinking how many of those bends I could overcook on my motorbike and how many changes of underwear would be necessary to get to the bottom? At my age I think I'll give it a miss but once upon a time...

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 pm

Kilkis wrote:I must admit, Photo 30 did get me thinking how many of those bends I could overcook on my motorbike ........

I've just looked on Google Earth and starting with the first bend of that section of the road between Kallikratis and Kapsodasos, there's a total of 27 hairpin bends with more than a few lesser, but noticeable, bends between them.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:30 am

If you ever venture this far east, Warwick, you could try the 20+ hairpins on the road from Xametoulo to Xerokambos .. but take the spare underwear :lol:

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:59 am

I must admit, Photo 30 did get me thinking how many of those bends I could overcook on my motorbike and how many changes of underwear would be necessary to get to the bottom? At my age I think I'll give it a miss but once upon a time...

Warwick

Its hard to tell from fillipos photo but unless the road had been surfaced since I walked down it 3/4 years ago you definitely wouldn't want to attempt it on a road bike Warwick, but on a nice little 250cc trail bike it might be fun.

Peter

George

Postby George » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:12 am

The road from Aradena down to Phoenix via Livaniana is a trifle more fear inducing as it is still basically a goat track used mainly by the few hill walkers who holiday down there. I hope they never upgrade the road as it adds to the rural feel although I dare say the locals would disagree.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Peter W wrote:Its hard to tell from fillipos photo but unless the road had been surfaced since I walked down it 3/4 years ago you definitely wouldn't want to attempt it on a road bike Warwick, but on a nice little 250cc trail bike it might be fun.
When I drove down there last year (October) others on the outing who'd travelled the road previously had been issuing dire warnings about how hazardous it was. I didn't find it difficult at all although care was needed simply because of the steepness and sharpness of bends. I imagine it could be pretty hazardous with a sprinkling of rain, enough to wet the surface and turn dust and rubber granules into a slippery film without being enough to wash the surface clear: "skid pan" comes to mind.

Since my memory is fading with advancing years, as a reminder I just looked at the photos* enlarged 2:1 on my 24" monitor and the road - at least this section - looks pretty well surfaced with smooth, pothole-less tarmac and has yellow lines along each edge. I have no recollection of any other section of the road being any different i.e tarmac all the way.

*A pro printer with a big enough machine could print these pics about 2½ to 3m on the short side

Return to “Chatter”