Carry-On Counting

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Clio

Carry-On Counting

Postby Clio » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:47 pm

One of the more entertaining aspects of flying Aegean has always been the sight of Greek fellow travellers struggling down the aisle with vast amounts of oversized, overweight cases, not to mention the shoulder bags, back-packs, holdalls, giant cardboard boxes, huge cellophane parcels of glika, and a kitchen sink or two.

With Aegean, unlike other airlines, rules were always broken apparently with impunity. Luggage never seemed to get counted or weighed, or transgressors apprehended.

So, over the years, one has tended to the When in Rome view, and to take a casual Greek approach to the carry-on question – assuming that a big holdall can count as a handbag, not bothering to weight the suitcase as long as the dimensions are OK.

A nasty shock at Gatwick yesterday, therefore, when I was caught bang to rights in possession of too many bags and too many kilos and clobbered for a hefty fine. I wasn’t the only one, and even at the departure gate they were checking carefully every item which people were taking aboard – something I’ve never encountered before.

Yes I know. Of course it serves me right, and I’m not asking for sympathy – just warning anyone who has been equally casual about their baggage that times have changed.

altohb

Re: Carry-On Counting

Postby altohb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Same at Heathrow.

Hand baggage of correct dimensions was weighed - just got under the 8kg limit! They seemed to be being pretty strict about it, though there was the usual scrum at the gate and I'm sure some people got away with it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Is it possible that check-in at UK airports is being handled by an independent agent rather than by Aegean staff? That might account for the sudden tightening up?

Many years ago, pre 9/11, I travelled back to the UK on the same Aegean flight as some local friends who were visiting their son for Christmas. I met the husband at the desk checking in cases both for himself and his wife. After checking in we found his wife a little distance away surrounded by a huge pile of bags that they intended to take on as undeclared cabin baggage. Needless to say we were recruited to act as porters. The bag with the Tsipouro weighed more than a normal hold bag as did the one with the olive oil. God knows what the total was. It all went on despite the plane being totally packed.

Warwick

PS Back in the 80s, what passengers took on-board on Russian flights made Greeks seem quite restrained.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Kilkis wrote:Is it possible that check-in at UK airports is being handled by an independent agent rather than by Aegean staff? That might account for the sudden tightening up?

No airline has their own staff for check in at airports. Check in and boarding are handled by ground agents, employed by the airline. Ground handlers work with many different airlines but follow each airline's instructions & rules regarding check in and the gate departure.

I have a family member who works at Chania Airport for the ground agents who handle the Aegean check in at CHQ. According to her, they are still quite relaxed here at Chania airport as Aegean's instructions are for flexibility and they don;t want to upset too many passengers! They haven't had any recent instructions at CHQ to tighten up.

A couple of useful insider pointers if travelling from CHQ with Aegean -

1) They have no way of weighing luggage at the gate at CHQ, so if hand luggage is the (approx) correct size it will go through unchallenged for weight if you are travelling only with hand luggage and go straight to the gate. But if you have checked luggage they will weigh your hand luggage at the same time that you check in your case.

2) For Aegean flights at CHQ you can check in one hand luggage bag/case for free at the check in desk or at the gate. It saves them time for boarding and gets the plane in the air quicker when passengers are not scrabbling for locker space when they board the plane. (The ground handlers performance is judged by the airlines on turn-around and departure times).

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:52 pm

I can see your point, but let me explain something. Planes can carry quite a lot of stuff, but all the weight has to be accounted for in terms of getting the plane off the ground and the extra fuel required to do so.
After watching a few episodes of Aircrash investigations, there have been a few accidents where there was too much luggage causing the following:
The aircraft didn't make it into the air, or it simply ran out of fuel before reaching the destination.
Now I for one, agree with what they're doing, after all, it is my life I am entrusting these guys with. I always think safety first, as well as the airlines - well, they should do! So really, I follow what their stipulations are. At least, If I'm overweight (maybe the baggage too!) I'll pay the extra. All the calculated weights then send the signal to fill up the plane with the appropriate amount of fuel, hopefully assuring a good takeoff and landing.
Alan

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age but I am most certainly NOT entertained by the sight of fellow passengers banging and crashing down the aisle with too many bags, swinging their backpacks into your face, and hogging all the overhead locker space. This anti-social behaviour is probably the next biggest cause of delayed departures after air traffic control issues, and if ground handlers are at last clamping down on it, then good. Now, perhaps Aegean would try to enforce the seat belts rule, so we don't have passengers leaping up and opening the lockers while the aircraft is still taxiing after landing. Some hope.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Dream on, Mixos! I have no idea where they think they are going. Just amuses me when there is a scramble to get off, everyone is heading towards the front and they suddenly realise that the door at the back is open.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Mixos wrote: Now, perhaps Aegean would try to enforce the seat belts rule, so we don't have passengers leaping up and opening the lockers while the aircraft is still taxiing after landing. Some hope.

That calls to mind a delicious moment some 5 years ago on a delayed flight from Brisbane to Sydney. When we were eventually coming into land, no sooner had the wheels touched the ground but lots of passengers stood up to retrieve baggage from the overhead lockers. After some shouting by the steward on the plane, beseeching them to leave their luggage alone and sit down (which they did eventually) he took great delight in announcing "Ladies and Gentlemen - welcome to Newcastle where we will be spending approximately 30 minutes on the ground refuelling before we can continue on to Sydney" WOW!!

PS: Had it been Melbourne we were heading for, there could have been a generous number of Greeks on board, but ..................
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:46 pm

These days I don't take any luggage on a plane just phone , laptop and cameras, spare t shirts , socks and under ware in a small back pack ...any thing else I can get the other end ... if I'm in the UK for a few days and need more I go to a charity shop for a shirt or a pair of jeans ...and put them in the trash or give them away on the way home...

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:These days I don't take any luggage on a plane just phone , laptop and cameras, spare t shirts , socks and under ware in a small back pack ...........
I bet you're travelling alone. I could do the same without the company of 'Er Indoors.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Yes, having dog's and. Chickens means we very rarely go to the UK. together....however my partner is the same she will pack more books than clothes...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:05 am

Jeffstclair wrote:... if I'm in the UK for a few days and need more I go to a charity shop for a shirt or a pair of jeans ...and put them in the trash or give them away on the way home...

You sound like Jack Reacher?

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:04 am

I had to look up Jack Reacher ...haha

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 am

This is from the Aegean website and clearly states and illustrates what you can bring on board:

https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-informa ... n-baggage/

Note that Duty Free purchases, overcoat, umbrella and small camera must be carried within the cabin baggage. Otherwise your additional item will be counted as an extra piece and charged accordingly.

Brian

BST

Postby BST » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Flew back with Aegean from Athens on Tuesday. Had cabin bag which was weighed. Just within 7kg limit PLUS carrier bag with 2 neck pillows and sunhat PLUS small ruck sack with camera and personal items (not weighed)but luggage label stuck on PLUS medium sized duty paper bag wth duty free from Athens PLUS fleecy jacket. Guess we were lucky?

Return to “Chatter”