Post box vandalism in Kalyves

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
bobscott

Post box vandalism in Kalyves

Postby bobscott » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Discovered (luckily) on the floor by a post box in Kalyves this morning, a letter to the UK which we posted there yesterday. The bottom of the box had been forced open and our letter was opened. Spotted another box in Kalyves with the bottom hanging loose and mail precariously balanced inside. Guess someone has been looking for post containing money. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Re: Post box vandalism in Kalyves

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Had it definitely been forced, Bob? I once had the experience of posting a letter and it falling straight out of the bottom of the box. In that case the postman had not shut the flap correctly when he last collected the mail. Slammed it shut and all was well. Personally I don't trust the boxes much. I generally hand anything in at the local post office.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 pm

A couple of the boxes in Kalyves have been disintegrating slowly for some months. 'Er Indoors noticed that someone had made a vain attempt to fix one of them with plastic cable ties.The box near "The Souvlakerie" has been in pretty poor condition for ages and I hope someone might have oiled the slot cover of the one in the plateia. All summer tourists were defeated by the stiffness and trudged off to find another box.
Like Kilkis I always use the post office.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Yes,I think it was vandalism. For a start, the envelope we had posted the previous day had been opened, the letter removed, and the lot dropped on the ground. Also, one of the boxes had the bottom just hanging open but the other was all twisted and damaged. Posted again today at the post office! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “Chatter”