Good Old Lidls

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Daisy

Good Old Lidls

Postby Daisy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Oh the joy of walking into Lidls in the autumn and finding the bulbs have arrived. Pouring over those brightly coloured packages, whilst my dear husband goes to do the boring shopping. Choosing some big, blowsy tulips. Going home and turfing everything out of the salad drawer in the fridge, to give the bulbs their necessary six to eight weeks chilling period. (Why my dear husband gets upset at losing the use of the salad drawer for a few weeks, I do not know. Surely he knows that tulips are more important than food!) And then planting them in late November.

and then in mid January...

Image. by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Image002 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Image005 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

and there are loads more to come.
Daisy

Kilkis

Re: Good Old Lidls

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:07 pm

What on Earth would you put in a salad drawer anyway? I have my own theory about salad. When food goes off it typically goes mouldy. What colour is mould? Green. Never eat anything green - it has obviously gone off.

Great pictures. Fancy a month in the west completely planning a garden from scratch. I'd happily let you do all the work. All I grow is weeds.

Warwick

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Beautiful. :)

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Lovely!
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:59 am

They look lovely , fabulous colours . And well done finding anything worth buying in lidl...I walk around the lidl in Sitia with an empty basket and arrive at the check out with one, item see massive queue .. put the pot of yogurt back and leave ...I shall have another go next autumn .

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:35 am

Some of their cereals are quite good at about half the price of brands, their fruit and veg is usually very fresh and they have a good choice of reasonably priced wines.

Warwick

PS I wouldn't recommend their gin. Strange after-taste.

paul g

Postby paul g » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:01 am

have to disagree about the gin, having drank gin for many years, I was pleasantly surprised at how decent there gin is, a good backup for when I'm running low on Gordons.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:28 pm

All I grow is weeds.

You know what they say here, Warwick. One (mad English) man’s weeds are a another (wise Cretan) man’s delicious, nourishing, cheap lunch...

Gorgeous pics, Daisy.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:27 pm

paul g wrote:have to disagree about the gin, having drank gin for many years, I was pleasantly surprised at how decent there gin is, a good backup for when I'm running low on Gordons.

Ditto. Perhaps a lot of it is down to the tonic. Gerani large bottles are good value for money and go well with Castelgy gin. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:39 pm

Any "wise" Cretan man that wants to come and eat my "delicious" Oxalis, Nettles, Thistles, Brambles (no fruit) and Ivy is welcome to it, Clio.

Warwick

Danny

Postby Danny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 pm

We buy our gin at Lidl's and enjoy it, plus they have some excellent red wines

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:56 pm

hey look lovely , fabulous colours . And well done finding anything worth buying in lidl...I walk around the lidl in Sitia with an empty basket and arrive at the check out with one, item see massive queue .. put the pot of yogurt back and leave ...I shall have another go next autumn .

Me too,,but the ratio of bulbs that can actually be active is low...I'm not sure what so say about Lidl except I know none of my animals (cats and dogs) will eat their so-caled *fresh meat. POssibly due to too much chlorine ?

IF I can buy some things for less price (loo paper and so on) then that would be the only reason I visit the horrible LIDL shop.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 am

One thing that never ceases to amaze me at Lidl (and other super-markets too): the number of Greek senior citizens buying the horrible (and expensive) packaged, frozen or tinned foods when the locally grown fresh product is available.

Yesterday I bought some Lidl seeds for vegetables that I hope to grow on my balcony in pots. It should be interesting because (a) I have the opposite of green fingers and (b) they were cheaper that I saw elsewhere and (c) all the package instructions were not in English. So if they don 't grow I can't blame Lidl.

Return to “Chatter”