Please settle a wager .

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
DobbyTheHouseElf

Please settle a wager .

Postby DobbyTheHouseElf » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Spent a recent morning cleaning the Ivy of a tree. My Greek near neighbour walk past a few times and said hello once. When I finally finish he comes back and stops to talk . " ...oh and another thing you didnt need to have cleared Ivy off the whole tree you only needed to have cut the Ivy at the bottom of the tree! Then the rest of the Ivy on the tree will die off over the following weeks because it is no longer connected to the roots." .I said " Yes thanks for telling after watching me work for hours and hours.!" Anyway after a Rakki or two together my head became clear and I had a think about it ,I had to say finally " now I have had time time to think about I have to disagree with you slightly ,surely the Ivy is a parasite and taps into the tree in all places and will carry on living as it saps the goodness from the tree and lives off the trees nutrients wether connected to the roots or not ?" .he naturally disagreed .he said " I will show you my friend, I have a tree with Ivy on it on my land ,if you come around in a few days time I will cut the Ivy near the bottom and you will see ." Who is right?

Yin&Yang

Re: Please settle a wager .

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:58 pm

It is my understanding that if you cut the ivy at the base of the tree, all the way around AND ensure that all ivy is pulled from the roots in the ground growing around the tree, then the ivy left attached to the tree will die off, and no more vines will grow up from the ground.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:10 pm

It definitely dies off once it is cut off from its roots. In my experience, however, it can be easier to strip it away while it is alive than when it is dead.

Warwick

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 am

Definitely just cut the base often you will see someone will take a piece out inch or so , assume it is to stop it grafting itself back . But that does kill it and if you leave long enough it will literally fall off with a pull but yes does leave residue of dried clinging roots .

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 am

One of the things I recall from over 60 years ago on a Boy Scout camp was cutting ivy all the way around affected trees, so that it would die off above the cut. Seemed to have worked when we visited the 'treated' trees the following year. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 am

I think one of the problems is that the roots are still alive so the ivy will grow back up the tree. It is possibly this new growth that is making people think that the cut off growth does not die.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Yes, I think that by also taking the roots out of the soil, the chances of regrowth are stopped or reduced. To pull off the attached vines from the tree trunk can adversley affect the health of the tree.
Someday is now : )

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Good grief to original poster...do you know how nature works? Ivy can be a bastard but if you cut it low down eventually you can be clear ...anythig upstream that has has been cut will die off ...it's not rocket science.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:18 am

Well I've been fighting it in my garden for ten years and it's still there and I started my career as a rocket scientist so don't pretend it is easy to get rid of.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 am

Had some growing up the side of my house and I cut through the main trunk. Left it a while then stripped it off, do try to remove it while it is still `green' otherwise it gets too brittle and will only come off in small pieces

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Kilkis wrote:Well I've been fighting it in my garden for ten years and it's still there and I started my career as a rocket scientist so don't pretend it is easy to get rid of.

Warwick

Love it Warwick. Quote of the year so far :)

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 am

Don't get me started about figs ...

john4d

Postby john4d » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Ivy is not a parasite it uses its 'suckers' like a drunk, for support only. As mentioned earlier it often grows on the walls of houses, there's not much succour in bricks and mortar. It also grows on dead trees. Popular belief is that the Ivy has killed the tree, this is not usually the case. As previously stated it is easier to remove whilst alive. When dead it just breaks when trying to pull it off, leaving lots of bits behind.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Throughout all the forests in the Netherlands.....ok, in Hilversum, that's exactly what they do here. They just cut the ivy at the base. Left for a year, it is the easy to remove the dead ivy above the cuts.
Alan.

Return to “Chatter”