VODAPHONE MYSTERY

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
bobscott

VODAPHONE MYSTERY

Postby bobscott » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:59 pm

We have a vodaphone mobile here in Crete. Recently had 3 different messages sent to us from daughter in UK. Each message purports to come from a different UK mobile number, only one of which is daughter's phone. The other two come from phones which neither we nor she knows anything about, but they ARE messages from our daughter! Her number is issued by 'Three', the other two number are issued by 'EE'.

Puzzling and a bit worrying. Anyone experienced anything like this before? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Re: VODAPHONE MYSTERY

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:30 pm

First thing I'd do is contact Vodafone and EE if Vodafone can't explain.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:02 pm

I've not experienced this with my mobile but caller ID does seem to behave a bit oddly on my landline. Normally, if an incoming call is from somebody in my directory, the phone displays their name. If they are not in my directory it should display their number but sometimes it displays somebody else's name who is in my directory. It only started doing this a few months ago.

Warwick

Dinksy

Postby Dinksy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 pm

We have also been having problems sending texts to a UK EE phone from our Vodafone Greek phone. They do not arrive and having tried in the Vodafone shop to be told there is nothing wrong, we have sent complaints to both the Greek Vodafone help desk and also to the UK Vodafone help desk..
It appears that not all UK phones will accept texts from a Greek Vodafone phone as contracts have not made with all UK providers. Luckily EE is not one of these and we are awaiting responses from both providers as they do not as yet know what is causing the non delivery of texts, This problem has been ongoing since January this year. Good news is we have had a refund but no answer to the complaints from either provider.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Talked to Vodaphone (our company) in the UK today and were politely told to talk to Vodaphone Greece.

Having rung their number (13830) 3 times from the mobile and got nowhere ('For English, please press 9 .....silence.....Δεν Καταλβένω") I rang from my landline and the 'press 9' instruction worked! Upshot after some confab with other colleagues was 'This must be a problem originating in UK so you should ask your daughter to talk to her provider.

Well, better than nowt I suppose. Coincidentally just whilst dialling the number on the landline, another text came in from daughter - yet another number which turns out to be generated by the provider of her real number!. All very confusing and not a little disturbing.

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:18 pm

I was reading only a few days ago about a relatively new app that's likely to help the dishonest. I've been racking my brains to remember where I read it but to no avail. The basics of it are that enables a user to mask the number from which they are sending the message - not withholding it but entering a number other than the one they are using. It sounds dangerous as they can, for example use a legitimate bank number or any other number they choose. It seems it's legal (so far) in most countries although the US, UK and a few others have introduced some regulations that seems to say, you can use the app but mustn't to X,Y or Z or notify the recipient that the number if not your own. How they find out who's breaking the rules (I don't think they're law, yet) and stop them doing it heaven knows.
I understand that in your case the messages you're receiving are actually from your daughter but seemingly from different numbers but according to what I read this app would enable me to send messages to you and others substituting my number with, say, your daughter's if I happened to know it. Sounds like a scammer's delight if they can use a bank number that the recipient might recognise or have in their contact list.

Return to “Chatter”