Lunar Eclipse Tonight

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kilkis

Lunar Eclipse Tonight

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:29 am

Tonight, 27 July 2018, there will be a total eclipse of the moon, often called a Blood Moon. The following timings are from Space.com :

1 Just in, or close to, the penumbral phase of the eclipse when the moon rises at 8:20.
    2 Partial eclipse starts around 9:24
    3 Enters totality around 10:30
    4 Peak eclipse at 11:21
    5 Exit totality at 00:13
    6 Partial eclipse ends 01:19
    7 Finally exit the penumbral phase at 02:28

I cannot guarantee these times. It is possible that the moon may appear darker and redder than usual due to the large number of wildfires that have been raging all round the world. It's even possible that it could disappear altogether if the pollution is high enough. Note that this is not a function of the level of pollution over Greece but the level over geographic areas where light from the sun is passing tangentially through the atmosphere and being refracted and scattered.

I think the effect is most impressive when the moon is close to the horizon so if you can get in a position where the moon rises from behind some hills you have a better chance of seeing it rise while in totality. In a flat area it will be a bit above the horizon when it reaches totality. Still worth seeing.

Warwick
Last edited by Kilkis on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phild

Re: Lunar Eclipse Tonight

Postby Phild » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks for the info, Warwick - certainly saves me having to calculate it myself!
----
Phil
----

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:55 pm

I did some more checking and some of the times I originally posted were not correct. I have corrected the original post. The only thing I am not completely sure of is the time the moon rises tonight and that will vary in any case depending on local topology. Thus the eclipse may be a bit more progressed by the time you start to see it.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:04 pm

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Moonrise: 08:19 PM
Moonset: 05:53 AM

Mars is current closest to the earth since 2003 - I remember it then, very red and it felt like it was so close it might be plucked from the sky.

Apocalyptic conditions :)

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:43 pm

There's an excellent site for sort of information, The Photographer's Ephemeris. The link will take you to the PC/Mac app.
On the opening page it will open at some random place on earth with a red pin marker in the middle. Zoom out of the map a bit and drag the pin to your location. If you want to keep that as your primary default position first save the location (via one of the icon) then bookmark it as your default location and that's where the app will open in future.
There are lines radiating from the pin which rotate as you move a slider along the bottom showing minute by minute over a 24 hrs period the direction of the sun and moon. just above he slider are boxes giving precise times for sunrise/sunset, moonrise/set, the three different twilight times all with times.
What's really useful is that you can work out where is likely to be a good viewing location then drag the pin there and check exactly the direction of sun or moon at any time. You can also save as many pin locations as you want.
Enough from me; try it for a few minutes and you'll soon find how good it is.
There are also phone apps available as well as the PC version.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:45 pm

The red moon is very beautiful here tonight clear sky shooting stars . Mars is very bright and a very clear Milky whey ...I just spent half an hour at the top of the garden with a glass of wine ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Just think how happy you would have been if you had spent 2 hours at the end of the garden with a bottle of wine?

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:38 am

But at the top of my garden is the shed where I have barrels of wine and raki ....

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks for the TPE link, Filippos. It's a fantastic website.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:37 pm

hairybloke wrote:Thanks for the TPE link, ..........
You're welcome. Have sent you a PM.

Return to “Chatter”