Neighbours

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
baccybabs

Neighbours

Postby baccybabs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:52 am

Just wondering - what are your neighbours like (if you have any!)
are they english, greek or some other nationality -- ours are all greek and are so lovely, friendly, helpful and very generous. Do you get on with your neighbours, it must be awful to come to another country and not do so, mind you I dont suppose you can get on with all of the people all of the time .......
Just curious thats all :)

koutouloufari residents

Postby koutouloufari residents » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:53 am

We have a "mixed" family upstairs!!! The wife is Bulgarian and the husband Cretan, and a lovely couple. The husband helps Jim with his attempts at gardening!!!! Ous other neighbours are a Cretan lady(from Sitia) and an Athenian man. They are all really nice people in their own different ways. But all the "villagers" are really friendly here in Koutouloufari....a great little village to live in!

baccybabs

Postby baccybabs » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Aww come on you lot....dont you have any neighbours ??

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:05 pm

We have NO neighbours and, coming from the crowded South East of the UK, it is wonderful. We hear people working in the adjoining olive groves, sparrows & other birds twittering under our windows, bees buzzing and that is it! If someone on the other side of the valley has a party we hear a bit of music and happy chatter - no thumping disco type noise, no screaming brats next door, nothing!

Every time I get frustrated with "Greekness" I look out of the window and listen to the peace & quiet, and all the angst drains away.

Conversely, 99% of the Greek people we meet in town are friendly, anxious to help us develop our pitiful language skills and, all in all, good to be with. The remaining 1% we try to avoid, as anywhere.

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:57 am

Altohb, I agree that it is good to have no close neighbours. This way one's day is not interupted by a nosey neighbour calling COOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEE over the fence, from the balcony or pool.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:49 am

You must have British neighbours, then. Mine yell, "Φίλιππε, έλα, έλα 'δώ," and are usually waving a bag [or re-cycled paint bucket] full of garden goodies. 'Er Indoors had the most exciting gift. Until she had it in her hand and it flapped it's wings she thought the chicken was dead.

Our oldest neighbour [approaching 95] lives opposite and, as he can't manage our 22 steps now, stands in the middle of the main road to call us.

PS None of our neighbours has a pool.

altohb

Postby altohb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 am

Filippos, I understand about the generosity of your Greek neighbours, but we are literally too far away from anyone else for that to happen. However, I'm often given vegetables & fruit of various kinds by an elderly Greek man to whom I give a lift into town whenever I see him trudging along. His fields seem to be higher up the hill from us, as I always see him walking downwards, but my Greek is not yet good enough for him to explain exactly where so that I can understand! I've heard a lot about his family, though, and he always tells me all sorts of things during the course of the journey - I'm beginning to take more of it in, but I'm afraid concentrating on what to say back while driving is a bit much, so my answers are slightly confined to saying yes & no in what I hope are the right places!

Otherwise, one of our nearest neighbours (about 1 km away) is a lady who works in the tax office, which was very helpful when we were trying to sort out a tax issue last year!

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:49 am

My comment was directed, lightheartedly, to Hudson - it was prompted by the "Coooeee" and swimming pool reference as the only Cretans I know with a pool are rental apartment owners whereas, Brits with pools ...........

We obviously have different senses of humour.

altohb

Postby altohb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:27 am

Don't think we have different senses of humour at all! I think Hudson was referring to the British "expat" culture prevalent in many areas - not only in Crete, of course. Some of us came here partly to get away from the awful nosiness prevalent in the UK today, where one can get no peace, either literal or metaphorical. The thought of living in an area full of the Gin & Tonic brigade makes me feel ill. Despite what I've said, however, I'm actually perfectly sociable, but just prefer not to have other people barging into my life the whole time and telling me what they think I should be doing/thinking!

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:38 am

The thought of living in an area full of the Gin & Tonic brigade makes me feel ill.

OK, at the moment you are blissfully away from them. But do you have any fears that they and their pools might start coming nearer? Once upon a time (and not very long ago at all) there were no pools (and no Brits) in Apokoronas. What's happened there might happen elsewhere.

altohb

Postby altohb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 am

Jean wrote:
The thought of living in an area full of the Gin & Tonic brigade makes me feel ill.

OK, at the moment you are blissfully away from them. But do you have any fears that they and their pools might start coming nearer? Once upon a time (and not very long ago at all) there were no pools (and no Brits) in Apokoronas. What's happened there might happen elsewhere.

Fair point, Jean but, hopefully, it will be ok. The nearest possible place to build on the same level as us is about 200m away - on the opposite side of the valley, and I think I could cope with that! There are houses there already, owned by Greeks. Otherwise, people would have to build on the slopes or at the bottom of the valley, and I can't see Brits going for that, somehow, with no view except olive trees. There is no mains water here, either, which might just put them off slightly too. The other side of us is scrub land, too narrow to build on under current regulations, and beyond that is again a decent distance away! As the regulations are likely to change to increase the size of plot needed for building, it will only get harder to build, and I suspect that developers will always be looking for areas with easy access and utilities close by.

If I'm wrong about all this, we'll have to think where to go!

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:04 pm

altohb wrote:
Jean wrote:
OK, at the moment you are blissfully away ........ were no pools (and no Brits) in Apokoronas. What's happened there might happen elsewhere.
Fair point, Jean but, hopefully, it will be ok. ...............
If I'm wrong about all this, we'll have to think where to go!
Don't let the b&$8@#£s drive you out. Anyway, the G & T brigade in Apokoronas worry me less than the obese, heavily tattooed, beer swilling skinheads that are beginning to appear all over the place. And the men are even worse.

PS It's not just Brits - there are one or two from other parts of northern Europe.

altohb

Postby altohb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks for the support, Filippos, and I agree about the shaven headed louts appearing in certain areas of Crete. It is a real shame. They have taken over too many parts of the UK already - one of the things that people like us are glad to see the back of. I know that there is crime here, and bad behaviour in some places, but it pales into insignificance compared with what we've had to deal with in the UK. Even though we live in a remote area here I feel much, much safer. For too long we've had to think hard before going to certain areas in the UK; here we are free - that's why I treasure it so much.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:15 pm

altohb wrote: I'm actually perfectly sociable, but just prefer not to have other people barging into my life the whole time and telling me what they think I should be doing/thinking!

Don't know about the G & T Brigade, but this sounds exactly like life in a Cretan village :lol:

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Carolina wrote:
altohb wrote: I'm actually perfectly sociable, but just prefer not to have other people barging into my life the whole time and telling me what they think I should be doing/thinking!

Don't know about the G & T Brigade, but this sounds exactly like life in a Cretan village :lol:

Precisely why we live in the middle of nowhere rather than in a village!

Had enough of nosy/noisy neighbours in the UK to last for the rest of our lives. Our friends know where we live, which is all that matters, I think!

Return to “Chatter”