Ground Almonds and Dried Figs

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
johnincrete

Ground Almonds and Dried Figs

Postby johnincrete » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:52 am

I have been searching for Ground Almonds and Dried Figs in supermarkets because I don't like the high prices in "Health" food shops.

Two things:
What is the Greek for these two products?
Has anyone seen them in a supermarket in or around Chania?

I have a recipes for low carb bread that uses Ground Almonds and a chicken casserole with figs. The former I have not been able to try and the latter is a dish at Portes and which I have tried (excellent) and at home (very acceptable).

Thanks in advance

peebee

Re: Ground Almonds and Dried Figs

Postby peebee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:54 am

Dried figs are available in Lidl, if you are in Kalyves area, they are also in the Φαρμα shop on the corner by the car park entrance. 1001+1 opposite Piraeus bank also does them, and quite likely the ground almonds too. You should also probably get both in AB.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks peebe but I did say that I wanted to find them in supermarkets. I have been a good customer of 1001 but now I need to watch my spending more carefully. Lidl on the Chania side of Mornies no longer has dried figs,

I still need the Greek so that I can better search the supermarkets that sell products with Greek labels.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 am

For this kind of stuff ....google is your friend ...αλεσμένα αμύγδαλα ground almonds , Ξερα συκα Dried figs .

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:37 am

Surely the cheapest method is to bung almonds in a blender and lie figs out in the sun to dry?
I have a small fig tree in my garden and my part-time UK neighbour has a huge tree and lets me pick figs from it.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... o+dry+figs

As for fresh almonds, I don't have a local source but I'm sure that I could find one by asking around.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... er+almonds

Return to “Chatter”