The Chania car parking reservation system

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
johnincrete

The Chania car parking reservation system

Postby johnincrete » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:09 pm

It used to be shops wanting a space in front of their shop but now its is in residential streets. I refer to the policy of parking a clapped out motor bike in road-side space so that a car cannot park there.

I can understand the frustration of a resident returning only to find they have to circulate for some time before they can park and walk back to their home, particularly if they have some physical problem with walking. But shops?

The answer is residential parking permits and perhaps a 2-hour limit to everyone else. Maybe even the dreaded parking meter! But who would enforce it? The police could not do it without the income of local coffee shops suffering. And, of course, the local authority got rid of their "parking wardens" years ago.

The lack of parking places close to the centre is an ongoing problem. It hastens the day when my car is passed on to someone who needs it and I use taxi's [is this the right plural of taxi?].

Kilkis

Re: The Chania car parking reservation system

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Ah, the greengrocer's apostrophe rears its ugly head. The plural of taxi is simply taxis. You would use the apostrophe to denote the genitive case if you were referring to something belonging to the taxi, e.g. the taxi's indicators were not working.

I think that there are some car parks designated for residents near the statue of a hand. When I lived in northern Greece one shop used to regularly put some chairs on the road next to the kerb to reserve space for its van to park. Perhaps not so unusual except they were on a zebra crossing.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”