Olive Oil Process Question

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Yin&Yang

Olive Oil Process Question

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:15 am

I have been wondering. How does it work at the olive oil factories when individual growers bring in their crops and want their own oil exclusively? Or do they have no choice and it all goes into one big press amd what you take away with you is a mixture of yours and everyone else's?
Someday is now : )

altohb

Re: Olive Oil Process Question

Postby altohb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:22 am

Everyone's olives are processed separately. When you take your sacks to the press you need to tell them if you want to take any oil away for yourself, or if you are selling all/some of it to the press. Your olives are weighed after leaves/twigs have been removed, and then go into the pressing process. If you want to take away your own you provide a container for it, then at the end of the pressing process the requisite amount is poured into your container. The paperwork you receive shows the amounts separately.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:44 am

altohb wrote:Everyone's olives are processed separately...

Isn't that subject to a minimum quantity. I thought each press had a minimum quantity that it could deal with. If you take in a quantity less than that, because you only have a few trees, then it gets pressed with other olives and you get an amount of oil pro-rata to the weight of the two batches of olives? I could be wrong. I have orange trees.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 am

Yes that's how it works here , everyone olives are pressed separately ,the press can process 8 lots of olives at the same time and the acidity and the ratio of olives to yield of oil is recorded .
....can you imagine the outrage if folk were asked to take home oil that was not theirs ...

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 am

altohb wrote:
Everyone's olives are processed separately...

Isn't that subject to a minimum quantity. I thought each press had a minimum quantity that it could deal with. If you take in a quantity less than that, because you only have a few trees, then it gets pressed with other olives and you get an amount of oil pro-rata to the weight of the two batches of olives? I could be wrong. I have orange trees.

Warwick

Your'e right Warwick but the minimum quantity can be small, our village press will individually process batches as small as two sacks.

Peter

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:30 am

Peter W wrote:
altohb wrote:
Everyone's olives are processed separately...

Warwick

Your'e right Warwick but the minimum quantity can be small, our village press will individually process batches as small as two sacks.

Peter

......and the amount that can be pressed isn't fixed. In a "good" year, the required amount is likely to be higher than in a "bad" year. In bad years the presses seem happy to take whatever olives are available for pressing.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Thank you all - most enlightening :D
Someday is now : )

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Warwick[/quote]

Peter[/quote]
How many kilos per sack e.g. my local olive press will *personally* process 100 kilos (so perhaps 2 sacks) - anything less will be included with other people;s small harvests.

Actually one key thing is *to be present* during the processing - :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:37 pm

I asked a friend last night who has several hundred trees producing fully certified organic olive oil. The press he uses has a minimum batch size of 500 kg or 10 bags (edited from 50 bags). Anything less and it gets mixed with someone else's olives. Don't assume all presses will accept very small quantities.

Warwick
Last edited by Kilkis on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:15 pm

I think from memory and lugging them about the hessian olive sacks hold aprox 50kg the same weight as the old UK bags of cement so maybe more like 10 bags.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Correct Kamisiana. A typo on my part. I was thinking of each bag weighing 50 kg and wrote 50 bags instead. Now corrected.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 pm

Kamisiana wrote:I think from memory and lugging them about the hessian olive sacks hold aprox 50kg the same weight as the old UK bags of cement so maybe more like 10 bags.

Depends who is filling them, I guess. Ours don't weigh anything like that much - we prefer to take more, smaller bags than risk back injury!

Return to “Chatter”