Amazon Delivery

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kilkis
Posts: 11024
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Amazon Delivery

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:53 pm

It's that time of year when people tend to send presents to each other. Whatever criticisms there are of Amazon they do offer a great service. I ordered something that was due to be delivered in the UK by tomorrow. I got an email this morning to say it was out for delivery today with Amazon's own delivery service. I contacted the recipient and they said there might be a problem because there would be nobody at home until after 15:30 UK time.

I checked the tracking status at a little after 16:00 UK time to see what was happening. I was presented with a map of the area showing a red marker for the delivery address and a green marker for the delivery van. It also told me that the driver was 15 stops away. I have been watching for a few minutes now as the van moved around the area and the number of stops counted down; it is now at 4 as I type. It astounds me that I can sit in Greece watching a parcel moving towards a delivery address and more or less phone the recipient and tell them that the driver should be ringing their bell in the next few minutes.

Just appeared as delivered.

Warwick

filippos
Posts: 5716
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby filippos » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Would that their deliveries here were such closely tracked, efficient deliveries. I'm awaiting four packages which aren't overdue yet but I'll be relieved when the delivery driver phones saying "I'll be in the village in five minutes", usually while I'm still dripping after clambering out of the shower to answer the phone. They are generally pretty reliable, though; only one delivery has gone missing in 16+ years.

Kilkis
Posts: 11024
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 pm

I've only had one letter go missing going to the UK and that was the one I sent registered. I sometimes think that having a registered sticker on it puts up a big flag saying this might have something valuable in it. I did have one parcel sent back from Greece to Amazon because they claimed that they couldn't deliver it but as far as I can tell they never tried. Amazon re-sent it and it arrived fine.

Warwick

YoMo2
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:02 am

Kilkis wrote:..........It astounds me that I can sit in Greece watching a parcel moving towards a delivery address and more or less phone the recipient and tell them that the driver should be ringing their bell in the next few minutes.......


Just had the same experience last night, and yes, pretty amazing.

Andrew

filippos
Posts: 5716
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby filippos » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm

Things are happening. This afternoon I received e-mails, re. two of my awaited deliveries, telling me they've been passed on to ELTA who will advise me by e-mail or phone of their arrival at Kalyves PO. The mails also included the ELTA tracking numbers. I suspect what will happen is that Manolis The Post will simply deliver them on his daily round.

YoMo2
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:40 am

filippos wrote:Things are happening. This afternoon I received e-mails, re. two of my awaited deliveries, telling me they've been passed on to ELTA who will advise me by e-mail or phone of their arrival at Kalyves PO. The mails also included the ELTA tracking numbers. I suspect what will happen is that Manolis The Post will simply deliver them on his daily round.


Or if you live where I do, you'll get a scrap of paper in your PO box in the village square telling you there is a parcel waiting for you to collect at the Post Office. ELTA Courier service????

Andrew

Clio
Posts: 1596
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby Clio » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:10 am

Andrew, I regularly get parcels via ELTA courier, and they always notify me by text message. In fact I get two - one when the parcel has arrived in Crete, another when it's arrived at the PO. I don't remember doing anything to activate this service, but it is obviously available. So maybe ask at the PO or check the ELTA website?

Kilkis
Posts: 11024
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:13 am

I think, but I'm not certain, that the ELTA courier service and the ELTA post office operate somewhat separately. Amazon use some EU courier services that have an arrangement with the ELTA post office, not the ELTA courier service, to carry out the final delivery in Greece. That is why you get a delivery note left by the postman if the package is too big, i.e. won't fit in your post box. If I'm expecting a parcel through the post office I often tell the guy in the office and he gives me a call when it comes. If I haven't pre-warned him I get the blue slip in my post box.

Warwick

YoMo2
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 pm

Clio wrote:Andrew, I regularly get parcels via ELTA courier, and they always notify me by text message. In fact I get two - one when the parcel has arrived in Crete, another when it's arrived at the PO. I don't remember doing anything to activate this service, but it is obviously available. So maybe ask at the PO or check the ELTA website?


Yeah, I'm able to track the parcels OK, just beefing about the fact that a supposed courier service is no different to the ELTA postal service. I get stuff in my box, but if it's too big, I have to go and get it. Fair enough for the postal service, but Amazon are paying for a courier service. Last time I looked, a courier is supposed to deliver to your home.

Andrew

YoMo2
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Kilkis wrote:I think, but I'm not certain, that the ELTA courier service and the ELTA post office operate somewhat separately.....


Clearly not the case in my location. Amazon specify ELTA courier on the tracking sites. The parcel is just treated the same as normal post when it gets to Neapoli.

Andrew

Kilkis
Posts: 11024
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:00 pm

Even when parcels arrive by courier I usually pick them up from their offices rather than have them deliver. All I care about is whether it gets here. How it does the last mile is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Most Greeks wouldn't use either. They would take the parcel to the coach station, put it in the luggage bay of the coach going where they wanted it delivered and the person receiving it would pick it up from the coach station at the other end. My landlady in Kilkis, 50 km north of Thessaloniki, sent her daughter Sunday dinner and many other food parcels this way for the whole time she was studying at University in Athens.

Go with the flow, Andrew.

Warwick

filippos
Posts: 5716
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby filippos » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:32 am

Kilkis wrote:...........My landlady in Kilkis, 50 km north of Thessaloniki, sent her daughter Sunday dinner and many other food parcels this way for the whole time she was studying at University in Athens.

We have a friend who regularly sends food parcels on the ferry from Souda to her son in Athens. Apparently ANEK ferries (and maybe others) have dedicated storage, including refrigerators, for such freight. The son, by the way, is a 40-something flag officer in the navy.

YoMo2
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 am

filippos wrote:
Kilkis wrote:...........My landlady in Kilkis, 50 km north of Thessaloniki, sent her daughter Sunday dinner and many other food parcels this way for the whole time she was studying at University in Athens.

We have a friend who regularly sends food parcels on the ferry from Souda to her son in Athens. Apparently ANEK ferries (and maybe others) have dedicated storage, including refrigerators, for such freight. The son, by the way, is a 40-something flag officer in the navy.


:D :D :D Don't you just love Greek mums?

Andrew

Jeffstclair
Posts: 1392
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: The centre of the universe

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:32 pm

YoMo2 wrote:
filippos wrote:
Kilkis wrote:...........My landlady in Kilkis, 50 km north of Thessaloniki, sent her daughter Sunday dinner and many other food parcels this way for the whole time she was studying at University in Athens.

We have a friend who regularly sends food parcels on the ferry from Souda to her son in Athens. Apparently ANEK ferries (and maybe others) have dedicated storage, including refrigerators, for such freight. The son, by the way, is a 40-something flag officer in the navy.


:D :D :D Don't you just love Greek mums?

Andrew



I was driving home from Sitia a bit ago and spotted lady on the side of the road waving franticly ...we pulled over and she held a tupperware box wrapped in a tea towel..and asked if we would deliver lunch to her son who runs the petrol station just outside the next village.....

YoMo2
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Amazon Delivery

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:...........I was driving home from Sitia a bit ago and spotted lady on the side of the road waving franticly ...we pulled over and she held a tupperware box wrapped in a tea towel..and asked if we would deliver lunch to her son who runs the petrol station just outside the next village.....


Priceless!!! :D :D

Andrew


Return to “Chatter”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 9 guests