Face Card

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kamisiana

Face Card

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Does anyone use face card for landline phone calls and if so is is anyone else having problems for the last two weeks with it not working, called customer service twice a day for the last two weeks and just get told there is a technical problem it will be fixed in two hours or avrio or in two days thanks.

scooby

Re: Face Card

Postby scooby » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Yes some days it works some days not, no idea why.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:22 pm

I tend to use Skype for landline calls abroad. You can load credit with a credit/debit card and, unlike Facecard, it doesn't expire. The worst that happens is it goes dormant if you don't use it at all for a long time but you can revive it. Just dial the number on a virtual keypad on Skype. You can do it on a smart phone, tablet or PC. I did use Facecard many years ago but gave up. I don't see the advantage of Facecard now?

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Kilkis wrote:I tend to use Skype for landline calls abroad. You can load credit with a credit/debit card and, unlike Facecard, it doesn't expire. The worst that happens is it goes dormant if you don't use it at all for a long time but you can revive it. Just dial the number on a virtual keypad on Skype. You can do it on a smart phone, tablet or PC. I did use Facecard many years ago but gave up. I don't see the advantage of Facecard now?

Warwick
It helps when you are trying to call someone who is totally technically inept, i.e the in laws.. then it's easier.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks Scooby and Warwick its not just me then, used face card for last ten years for UK calls no problems simple low tech 10 euros for five hours to phone the outlaws lets hope it works again soon (or maybe not :twisted: )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:41 am

scooby wrote:...It helps when you are trying to call someone who is totally technically inept, i.e the in laws.. then it's easier.

There is absolutely no difference in the technical difficulty. If you are using Facecard then they have to be technically savvy enough to pick up the phone when it rings? The same if you use Skype to phone a landline. I'm not talking about using Skype at both ends. I'm talking about depositing some money on Skype and using it to dial their landline number. I use it to phone banks, HMRC etc. For landlines in the UK there is a connection fee of €0.052 and a call charge of €0.024 per minute. For UK mobiles the connection fee is €0.094 and the rate is €0.106 per minute. You can also send SMS to mobiles for €0.08 per message. I think from Facecard to a UK landline you get 234 minutes from a €5 card which equates to €0.021 per minute so Skype is very slightly more expensive but in my experience when I used to use Facecard it always expired before I had used all the credit so I suspect Facecard was actually more expensive. Finally with Skype I don't need to go to a shop to buy another card when it runs out/expires. I just add some more credit to Skype using my credit/debit card online.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:51 am

Kilkis wrote:
scooby wrote:...It helps when you are trying to call someone who is totally technically inept, i.e the in laws.. then it's easier.

There is absolutely no difference in the technical difficulty. If you are using Facecard then they have to be technically savvy enough to pick up the phone when it rings? The same if you use Skype to phone a landline. I'm not talking about using Skype at both ends. I'm talking about depositing some money on Skype and using it to dial their landline number. I use it to phone banks, HMRC etc. For landlines in the UK there is a connection fee of €0.052 and a call charge of €0.024 per minute. For UK mobiles the connection fee is €0.094 and the rate is €0.106 per minute. You can also send SMS to mobiles for €0.08 per message. I think from Facecard to a UK landline you get 234 minutes from a €5 card which equates to €0.021 per minute so Skype is very slightly more expensive but in my experience when I used to use Facecard it always expired before I had used all the credit so I suspect Facecard was actually more expensive. Finally with Skype I don't need to go to a shop to buy another card when it runs out/expires. I just add some more credit to Skype using my credit/debit card online.

Warwick

Warwick is that Skype to Go that you a talking about and you and you just pay monthly for the minutes package you want thanks.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Not really. The descriptions of Skype to Go that I have read are made assuming that you are in the UK but I suppose they might work in other countries. As I understand it, viewed from the UK end, Skype to Go creates a UK landline number that is linked to a single number abroad, e.g. a relative. You don't phone that relative on their foreign number from your UK mobile in the UK, you dial this special UK landline number so you are charged as a normal UK call, possibly part of your UK mobile package. The special UK landline number connects you to the specified foreign number through Skype.

I don't use that. I simply load some credit onto Skype on my computer, i.e. the same account that I use to make Skype to Skype calls, using my credit card. I then dial a number, any number anywhere in the world, and the credit reduces by an amount appropriate for the length of call and where it was to. There are packages available and for some people, who make lots of calls, it may be preferable to enable one of the packages. I've never really evaluated them because my usage is so low. All my long calls are Skype to Skype which is free.

If you click on your username at top left, i.e. where you control if you are active or invisible, you get a pop-up-panel. The second item down on that panel is "Skype to Phone". Clicking on that opens a new panel that gives an option to add £5 credit. If you go to the bottom of that panel you can view other subscriptions and eventually get to a web page that allows you to add £10 or £25 if you prefer. You will probably have to fiddle about in your user profile first in order to set up a card that Skype can bill to.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 am

Another option that avoids anything too technical is to buy Cosmote's (OTE's) International Free Call package. It's probably not called exactly that, I can't remember, and clearly it's not actually free. For a fixed monthly fee, around 10 euros I think, you can call any landline in the UK from your Cosmote Greek landline and there will be no call charge. Same applies to about 50 other countries around the world, including all the English-speaking ones. You can call as often as you like, and calls can last as long as you like, within reason. I think some sort of fair use policy applies.

This might suit those who spend that sort of money per month on calls to UK. Given the added convenience of simply picking up the landline phone to make the call, it might even be worth it for those who don't spend that amount currently. Also nice not to have to think about the meter clocking up costs as you talk.

Just a thought.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Called International Destination Packs. €6.35 per month for 400 minutes to landlines and 100 minutes to mobiles in the UK. It excludes premium rate numbers as you would expect.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Kilkis wrote:Called International Destination Packs. €6.35 per month for 400 minutes to landlines and 100 minutes to mobiles in the UK. It excludes premium rate numbers as you would expect.

Warwick

That's the one! When we signed up some years ago there was no minutes allowance, and mobiles were not included, so it's obviously been upgraded. I'm certainly not complaining.

Andrew

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:57 pm

YoMo2 wrote:
Kilkis wrote:Called International Destination Packs. €6.35 per month for 400 minutes to landlines and 100 minutes to mobiles in the UK. It excludes premium rate numbers as you would expect.

Warwick

That's the one! When we signed up some years ago there was no minutes allowance, and mobiles were not included, so it's obviously been upgraded. I'm certainly not complaining.

Andrew

Thanks Warwick and Andrew Cosmote iternational pack looks the way to go 400 minutes for 6.35 euros looks good value
Yesterday I resurrected my old Skype account that I have never used but the topup credit seemed a bit on the unclear side.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:38 pm

The 400 minutes for €6.35 is good value provided you use them all. If you talked for that long on Skype dial up it would cost you more.

I think the longest you can talk on a single Skype dial up call is 60 minutes so you would have to make at least 6 calls to use 400 minutes. That would cost you just under €10. If you made more calls each of shorter duration the cost for 400 minutes would be higher. Each connection charge is equal to roughly 2 minutes of talk time

The problem with all packages occurs if you don't use all the allowance within the time period as it then expires. I last loaded £10 credit onto Skype in May 2016 and I've still got £3.54 left. I could use that in 2019 or 2020 or 2021 etc. Basically if you are a very heavy user and you will definitely use all the allowance within the time period a package is best. If you are a very light user, like me, Skype credit is best.

Top up is easy once you have set up a payment method. To do that you need to be logged into your Skype account on the Skype web page. If you are logged into your Skype App you can get to the Skype account on the web page by clicking on your name, clicking on "Settings" on the pop-up panel then clicking on "Your Account" on the new panel. That should open a Skype web page and log you in. Alternatively you can find the Skype web page and log in with your user-name and password there.

Once you're logged into your Skype account on the Skype web page scroll down and you should find a list of options. Click on "Stored payment details" and then enter some card details. Once your payment details are set up you can add credit either by logging into your account on the Skype web page again, add £10 or £25 options, or you can add £5 directly in the Skype App.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Warwick Re Skype yes we are only light users so Skype would be best, please forgive my ignorance the top up part is no problem, what is the proceedure to call a uk land line from my greek land line re Skype credit so Mr Cosmote does not charge me for the call,all I have ever used is the Face card where you just key voucher number in then dial uk number thanks.

Return to “Chatter”