How do I catch a bus? Or taxi?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
johnincrete

How do I catch a bus? Or taxi?

Postby johnincrete » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:41 pm

My car driving days are over and so I must find out how to catch a bus and how to get a taxi from home. All journeys are within Chania.

First: the bus.
A Cretan lady threw up her hands with horror that I hould want to use the bus service! All sorts of doom and gloom with the story of the bus driver who parked up a full bus while he went shopping!
The most used bus will perhaps be No. 24 which serves the hospital. Where in town does it leave from? How can I find bus times? Do I have to buy a ticket before getting on the bus? If so, can you buy something like a book of tickets? Otherwise, if I get on the bus outside the DEH offices, how do I get a ticket? The ticket machine at the hospital gives prices for different zones and also for half-price tickets How do I know what zone I need? Who qualifies for half-price tickets?

Now taxis
Does anyone know a phone number for a taxi service serving Chania and where the person answering the phone and the driver both know English?
If the driver claims he does not understand English, what is the Greek for "Switch the meter on"

Lots of problems but, I hope, nothing compared to trying to find somewhere to park!!

I

Kilkis

Re: How do I catch a bus? Or taxi?

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Information on Chania Urban buses.

Fares are divided into Zone A and B with Mournies in Zone A. You can buy tickets on the bus but it costs more. Tickets are valid for 90 days so you can buy multiple,tickets if you wish.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:57 am

Thanks Warwick yet again! I would never have dreamed up the web site title with "Urban" in it.

Still need info on taxis

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:25 pm

Neither would I, John. I put Chania town buses as a search term into the Yahoo search engine and it was the third web site listed. Putting it into Google gives 8 pages of results and it is not in them at all. Clear message: "Don't rely on Google".

I've only caught taxis from town so I don't have any contacts. You could try Ermis that has an English web site or others on this Yellow pages search but be aware that they are not all in Chania despite specifying Chania in the search.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi

For longer taxi journeys we use Taxi4crete.gr Website: https://taxi4crete.Gr/
For shorter ones, I am sure Kostas (who runs taxi4crete) can advise. He is pukka.

We have used buses for long trips eg Chania to Vryses, Vryses to Heraklion. They are coaches rather than buses, clean, air conditioned and cheap. Not sure about the around town ones. For those longer trips, we buy tickets on the day from the booth (eg the one in the bus station at Kelaidi in Chania). In Vryses (I guess this also applies elsewhere?) the cafe near where the bus stops has the bus timetables and sells tickets. This website gives the lowdown. https://www.sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-cre ... buses.html

Safe travels.

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:05 pm

I read the topic out loud..

The reply from my lovely darling
"Jump in front of it"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:19 pm

God, I wouldn't risk that with a vehicle driven by a Greek driver. It's quite possible that he has never even taken a driving test let alone passed one.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:12 am

A few months ago we took our car for service at the main dealer in Souda Avenue and wanted to get from there to Xania centre. The dealer offered to phone for a taxi but pointed out a bus stop 50m away. We went to the bus stop and joined a Greek man who was waiting. The bus arrived and we three boarded. The Greek man offered money to which the (almost snarled) response was along the lines of, "You need a ticket; I don't sell them." The three of us started to get off but the driver told us to stay, standing next to him.

At the next stop, outside the IKA office, he pointed to a ticket machine, "Be quick, I'll wait." Our Greek co-passenger put in his money and pushed the button but no ticket emerged. He called to the driver who stomped off the bus, thumped the machine and the ticket popped out. Back on the bus the driver kept revving the engine while we fed in money but the machine refused to provide tickets however hard I thumped it and the driver indicated he was departing. Our co-passenger remonstrated with him and, with a killer glare that said, "Bloody idiot foreigners", the driver stomped off the bus, violently persuaded the machine to cough up tickets and stomped back aboard, barely waiting for us leap on behind him.

At the bus station we thanked him as we alighted. He responded with a big smile and a cheery "Go well."

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:58 pm

filippos wrote:A few months ago we took our car for service at the main dealer in Souda Avenue and wanted to get from there to Xania centre. The dealer offered to phone for a taxi but pointed out a bus stop 50m away. We went to the bus stop and joined a Greek man who was waiting. The bus arrived and we three boarded. The Greek man offered money to which the (almost snarled) response was along the lines of, "You need a ticket; I don't sell them." The three of us started to get off but the driver told us to stay, standing next to him.

At the next stop, outside the IKA office, he pointed to a ticket machine, "Be quick, I'll wait." Our Greek co-passenger put in his money and pushed the button but no ticket emerged. He called to the driver who stomped off the bus, thumped the machine and the ticket popped out. Back on the bus the driver kept revving the engine while we fed in money but the machine refused to provide tickets however hard I thumped it and the driver indicated he was departing. Our co-passenger remonstrated with him and, with a killer glare that said, "Bloody idiot foreigners", the driver stomped off the bus, violently persuaded the machine to cough up tickets and stomped back aboard, barely waiting for us leap on behind him.

At the bus station we thanked him as we alighted. He responded with a big smile and a cheery "Go well."

Lovely story Philippos! As a matter of interest, you can get a bus in Vryssess which will, via Chania and the port at Souda, take you all the way to Ioannina, up in the Epirus area of mainland Greece. Done it twice but never found the return bus!! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “Chatter”