Boat Tours?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
patterson

Boat Tours?

Postby patterson » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:31 pm

I have just booked all our trips to our new cottage in Xirosterni for 2019 (so exciting) and would love to explore the coast line on a boat. Can anyone suggest any great boat tour companies? Maybe private hire might be fun? We would love to explore the south too, but I guess we drive over then get a boat do we?

Really looking forward to exploring!

Clio

Re: Boat Tours?

Postby Clio » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:43 pm

As far as I know, private boat hire at least in the south of the island doesn't exist, because the seas are too dangerous. But there are plenty of trips available. Agia-galini.com will give you details of some nice little day excursions, and the ferries link at sfakia.com has detailed info and updated timetables for the boats which link the communities of the south west coast.. Some of them take cars, so you could think, say, to drive down to Hora Sfakion via Vrisses then get the ferry to Sougia or Paleoxora and perhaps overnight there or make a late drive back. Some of those ferries stop off for some time at Agia Roumeli in order to pick up Samaria walkers, but you can easily spend the enforced layover in sunbathing and eating. That southern coast is fascinating when viewed from the sea.

Maud

Postby Maud » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:20 pm

https://notosmare.com/yacht_charter/

This company might be of use to you Patterson. They do organised tours as well as boat and yacht charter.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:41 pm

I would guess that it depends what you mean by "private hire". If you mean simply hire the boat alone and sail it yourself then I would guess that there are lots of laws that would prevent that. If you mean chartering a boat and crew to take you sailing without mingling with the hoi poloi then I am sure it would be possible but might cost quite a few schekels.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:31 pm

There are plenty of boats available for charter in Chania, Old Port.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:48 am

As well as several yacht and various classes of powered boat charters there appears to have been something of a proliferation of small boats for rent along the stretch from just past the Arsenali going East towards the sailing club. One details board (at least) that I saw offered three sizes of boat with only the largest one with a skipper specified. We spent a few nights in a harbour side hotel and I was checking some of the photos I took and some of the boats are featured. I even maneged to include a couple of phone numbers and web site.

You could try www.seasunribs.gr +30 6932 459 125 and www.seaadventure.gr +30 6944 3*66 643 (possibly 8 not 3) and from UK +30 6946 050 430.

Maud's down south but (assuming they're the same people and not two outfits with the same name) Notos also operate from Xania. I also know a man who runs cruised from Kissamos but I need to check his number as it seems he's moving the location of his other business in Xania and that's the number I have/had.

There's also been a boat offering cruises from Kalyves this summer. The boat carries about 20 people and they were offering 1 to 2 hour and ½ and whole day cruises on different days.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:17 am

Yes Filippos, it is the same company. Their main office is in Sfakia, but they have opened a second office in Xania now. It is also a dive school in Chora Sfakia, but I am not sure about on the north coast.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:48 am

Here's a link to the Anendyk south coast boat service winter timetable:-

http://www.anendyk.gr/pages/en/timetable.php

Peter

patterson

Postby patterson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:58 am

Thanks guys..I will investigate.

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:04 am

You can hire a self drive boat from Plakias on the south coast, Finkas boats hire them out they are about 4m with an outboard so OK for lcal trips on a reasonable calm day, you can organise it from the Smernia Bar opposite the old harbour.
If you want a skippered sightseeing / swimming / snorkeling trip or a fishing trip then Plakias Boat tours are the best these can be organised from the Tasomanolis Taverna along the sea front, if you want phone numbers PM me and I will sort them out.

P&B

Postby P&B » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:11 am

I noticed an advertising board outside a small shop/office in Kalyves this week and remembered this thread on the forum.

https://www.seabreezecruises.gr/

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:33 am

Looks fun! I've saved their details for future visitors to us.
Someday is now : )

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:27 pm

georgioupolisrentaboat@gmail.com..... 69474623571

These people rent speed boats for hire in the harbour Georgoipolis... No need for a licence ,
Prices start at 50 euro for one hour up to all day rental for 170 euro .. I think the boats fit about 4 people in them , really nice looking boats , all safety equipment , ice fridge , 35 litres of fuel included ...

I haven't been on one yet but I picked up a leaflet this morning and had a look round one of the boats ...

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Also these guys - just started up https://www.facebook.com/BeaniesBoatHire/

Return to “Chatter”