Direct flight to Gatwick this morning.......

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
YoMo2

Re: Direct flight to Gatwick this morning.......

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:31 pm

Tim wrote:.....My guess would be that the charter is organised by a trade/business organisation such as the Cretan equivalent of the Small Business Federation or Chamber of Commerce. They probably have sufficient members - hoteliers/business people etc - to be able to put on one plane a month to the UK through the winter and know they can fill it sufficiently without making a financial loss. They probably wouldn't have the administrative capacity to be able to advertise, sell and administer ticketing for any spare seats each month.

Or maybe not ...

Tim

You may well be right. It's actually one a week though, not one a month, as I pointed out in earlier posts, which is quite surprising to me.

So I'm still really curious as to what this is about. I had hoped that one of our forum members in the travel business or who works at the airport might shed some light. It doesn't seem like tickets are going to be available anyway.

Andrew

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Kilkis wrote:.......PS The last sentence is not sarcastic.

Turned over a new leaf then........ :)

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Just a one-off.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm

https://www.flightera.net/flight/Aegean+Airlines/A34220

Five flights in December, two in January and another two in February sofar.

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi All,

this may be a ghost flight, I remember some time ago as a man from Wales hearing about empty planes going between Cardiff and London 6 days a week just to keep some landing slots . Aegean may well be doing the same in winter to keep the slots for Spring Summer and Autumn . If you see this link from the Mirror it explains how ghost flights work .

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news/lo ... s-12952912

Just a hypothesis but thought I would throw in the ring with the rest of the conspiracy theories around Brexit Rendition flights, if people start disappearing I will now know where to look !!! lol

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:42 am

mouche wrote:https://www.flightera.net/flight/Aegean+Airlines/A34220

Five flights in December, two in January and another two in February so far.

Not to mention 4 in November. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/a34220

Andrew

toastie

Postby toastie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:32 pm

I think most of us dream of a direct flight from Heraklion, or preferably Chania but in reality I don't think it will happen, not because the airlines don't want it. I am sure there is a market for it, but I believe in my opinion, its the tourist industry work so hard in the summer that they prefer to just close their hotels, taverns etc down during the winter months.

Also this winter the weather has been appalling so maybe not get the trade possibly, I dunno.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:52 pm

toastie wrote:.......... not because the airlines don't want it. I am sure there is a market for it, .....
I'm pretty sure that if the airlines thought there would be enough profit they would fly the route. They have a given number of aircraft which they deploy on routes that give the best return so there a masses of flights to ski resorts in Europe and elsewhere, towns and cities with winter festivals and markets and places likely to be guaranteed warmer than Europe; the Caribbean, SE Asia, S. Africa etc.

I agree with you about the tourist industry people working so hard and wanting a break but on top of that many of the families providing the tourist services also have olives to harvest, including clearing ground in preparation and afterwards cutting timber for firewood and clearing all the smaller prunings. Also, of course, many employees of tourist businesses don't have olives or other sources of income so they work in the olive harvest too.

It seems, too, that larger hotels (and probably many smaller ones) start maintenance and refurbishment work. In the last three years, for example the Kalyves Beach Hotel (with 90 rooms) has started such works within two days of the last tourist leaving. This year work has been continuous since the end of October.

P.S. I certainly don't dream of winter flights back to the UK (nor summer for that matter) and I know quite a few people with a similar attitude.

toastie

Postby toastie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:06 pm

At least if we do wish to go back during the winter months, its only a short flight across the sea to Athens with good connections to the major airports, I guess its not too much of a bother.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 pm

toastie wrote:At least if we do wish to go back during the winter months, its only a short flight across the sea to Athens with good connections to the major airports, I guess its not too much of a bother.

That depends on your home country. Not all countries have direct flights to Athens so getting here/back in winter can involve 3 flights, e.g. Chania/Heraklion to Athens, Athens to an intermediate airport such as Frankfurt/Amsterdam/London and then a flight from there to your home country. Often such flights do not link up well so it can be quite a long trek.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm

It's only a short flight across the sea to Athens

True, but first you have to get to the plane, and the plane has to depart. And the winter weather here can adversely affect both those events as you can read elsewhere just now.

I’ve never had a flight cancelled because of high winds but it happens – most recently just last week.

And there are other ways in which foul weather can scupper that trip to the mainland. In the past few years I’ve had early morning trips to the airport afflicted by a) small falling rock puncturing tyre b) heavy overnight snowfall making it impossible to get car up a steep road and out of village and c) large falling rock knocking out power steering. (At a place on the ethniki appositely named “Petres”, as it happens…)

Today, on a most welcome fine and dry day I drove from Rethymno to the Akrotiri and looking at the stuff that’s fallen onto the highway I would not have fancied making that journey yesterday when it was still chucking it down – water AND rocks.

toastie

Postby toastie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:40 am

Fortunately Warwick there are flights twice a week in the winter time with Easyjet to Bristol, which is my home town, so it would only involve 2 flight and only a few hours end to end stop over in Athens. I guess not everyone in the UK can get flights direct from Athens.

toastie

Postby toastie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:41 am

Agree Clio. The highway has been very dangerous during this terrible weather we have had, even my local resort village has been affected, like post places I imagine

Return to “Chatter”