Athens Airport --the long walk

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Mixos

Athens Airport --the long walk

Postby Mixos » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:34 pm

A bit of info for anyone who hasn't flown back to the UK from Athens with a budget airline recently. Athens Airport has opened a new satellite departure terminal, which is a VERY long and weary walk from the main terminal. It seems to be just for the budget carriers -- only Ryanair and easyJet planes were using it last night and I assume the national airlines are still being directed to the old "A" gates. The access is via a long and seemingly endless tunnel under the airport apron and although there are travellators it adds a good 15 minutes to the time needed to get to the departure gate -- and, indeed, to the time it would take to change planes if, say, you were arriving on easyJet or Ryanair and only had a limited amount of time to connect with Aegean to Crete.

SueA

Re: Athens Airport --the long walk

Postby SueA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Thank you for this. Seems like another good reason for using only Aegean!

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:58 pm

Had this last month coming from Chania and going to catch an Easyjet flight. And the same on return. The walk is a good 10 minutes (and i am a fast walker so double that if you're slow) so must be about one kilometer.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:08 pm

That must have been you limping alongside me next to the out-of-action travelator, Mixos. I was the eejit who had decided to pack eight kilos of olives, honey, cheese etc into a non-wheeled holdall. And to think we used to complain about the Crete flights leaving from the remotest gate....

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:46 am

Ha! That was you, was it, Clio? We must have looked like characters from a Lowry painting, trudging, head down, wondering when, if at all, the tunnel would end.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Sounds like the trek to the EJ gates at Gatwick, which seem to get ever further away!

Re Athens, though, a better reason than ever to try not to have short connecting times. Booking through with Aegean isn't foolproof, as I know to my cost, but at least you are guaranteed to get on the next available flight.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:37 pm

altohb wrote:Sounds like the trek to the EJ gates at Gatwick, which seem to get ever further away!...

The last time I travelled there were two sets of Easyjet gates at Gatwick. One set is situated in a satellite terminal that is indeed a long trek with much of it not supplied with travelators. It also involves going up and down two of the highest escalators I have seen* in order to access a bridge over a taxiway. If you suffer from vertigo I would advise using the lifts. The other set, however, are on a corridor directly behind one end of the departure lounge with the entrance located next to the Wetherspoon's pub and that is a very short walk. It seems to be luck of the draw which one you get. I've travelled from both. It would be nice if they posted the gate much earlier if it is one in the satellite area. You can't even gamble and make your way to the satellite area before the gate is posted because the gate boards in that area only show flights from that area, not the whole airport, so you wouldn't know if you needed a gate in the other area.

Warwick

* I think I have been on at least one London underground escalator that is longer and there may be others.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:29 pm

[/quote]Characters from a Lowry painting[quote]

Funny, airports always make me feel like a character in another painting......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsca ... _of_Icarus

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:41 pm

Clio wrote:
Characters from a Lowry painting

Funny, airports always make me feel like a character in another painting......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsca ... _of_Icarus

That’s not a good feeling if you are flying from a Cretan airport!

border collie mad

Postby border collie mad » Thu May 16, 2019 8:26 am

ever tried Charles Degaulle airport Paris now that's an awful place......
at least in Greece people are polite and helpful.......
the above C/D airport is Huge,dirty, dingey and nobody helps anyone inc their countrymen....Brits have no chance..
ask me how I know.......
Better to fly anywhere else than Paris......

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Thu May 16, 2019 1:38 pm

I've just returned from Barcelona and used *the long Athens airport walkway* - due to people who have clearly never lived in e.g. London (so don't understand the unwritten rule of keep to the right, I dont use travelators or elevators. I happily sped-walked the journey in about 8 and a bit minutes, arrived at baggage collection with enough time to have a ciggie by which time my case was just coming into view on the conveyor belt. I don't enjoy being forced to sit down for 3 hours (or more) so I find the walk very therapeutic.

The walk at Barcelona airport is much the same distance albeit not underground with interesting murials :) Barcelona has frighteningly highly polished marble floors and to me at any rate, makes everything somewhat surreal. They do however provide (free) very easy to push small καροτσάκια (don't know what the right word should be!).

I think the relatively recent revamping at Athens has been a big success - τι κρίμα δεν είναι στην ελληνική κυριότητα but never mind. :)

Return to “Chatter”