Shock Horror

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kilkis

Shock Horror

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Who would have ever expected someone to be growing cannabis in the Rethymnon area? Must be a first?

Warwick

margarita

Re: Shock Horror

Postby margarita » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Apparently the Mylopotamos area is well known for this.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Kilkis wrote:Who would have ever expected someone to be growing cannabis in the Rethymnon area? Must be a first?

Warwick

Irony can be missed in the written word Warwick :)

For others who might not be aware, this thread from 2007 should enlighten you somewhat:-
www.livingincrete.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=682

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:39 pm

The Kosovo Liberation Army, UÇK, was supported by NATO and armed with the latest NATO weaponry in its fight against Serbia in the 1980s and 90s . It was also involved in the narcotics trade in drug trafficking between countries like Afghanistan and Europe acting as a major link to the Mafia in Italy. When it formerly disbanded many of its combatants continued in the narcotics trade in the Balkans but also in the wider area such as Crete. If you drive past a field in the Zoniana area and see a man sat on the wall armed with an M16 assault rifle he is just as likely to be Albanian ex UÇK as Cretan. Best not to stop for a chat.

The February after the Zoniana incident linked by Carol the best float in the Kalyves carnival procession was pulled by a "police car" riddled with bullet holes. The float had "plants" growing up it and people on the float were throwing plastic packets of white powder to the crowd. I bet Filippos has some pictures of it?

I seem to recall the Chief of Police for the whole of Greece in Athens commenting in TV interviews that the attacks on the police were unprecedented and had never occurred before only to be rebuffed by the chief of police in Heraklion that this sort of event was a regular occurrence, although it didn't usually result in a police officer being critically injured. I have a feeling that the Athens police chief was forced to resign although I may have not remembered correctly.

Warwick

PS UÇK is pronounced Ooo Tsi Ka.

Return to “Chatter”