Aegean bumping to Standby!

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kathleen

Aegean bumping to Standby!

Postby Kathleen » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:21 pm

A warning!!

Arrived at Athens airport yesterday evening ready for the 18.30 flight to Heraklion. I had not completed the online check in wishing to reclaim the 12€ airport charge I had already paid through KLM. Being pushed for time I decided not to bother and went to check in. No way! Spoke to someone and was referred to a desk to be told because the check in had been open 48hrs and since I had not done so, I was relegated to standby! I could travel on the 22.00 flight with a free ticket and 250€ compensation!!! Having been up since 2.30 naturally I was not happy. I pointed out that I did not want compensation and that I was being met at 19.30 by friends so wanted the seat I had paid for on the flight I booked. I was finally given a standby ticket and sent to the gate still fizzing!!

Fortunately the lovely girl on the gate said there was no problem and soon found me a seat. Panic over! It transpired I was not alone a couple travelling with their son had been given seats but their son like me had been bumped!

Seems like another 'minor' detail we must be aware of now with Aegean but now obviously unless you have more than a couple of hours between flights looks as if you will have to forego reclaiming the 12€.

Kathleen

Kilkis

Re: Aegean bumping to Standby!

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Bad luck, Kathleen. The last time I had to reclaim the €12 was in the days before online check in so I couldn't check in for the Crete leg until I got to Athens airport. Since the Aegean service desk was opposite the Aegean check in desks it was no big deal to claim the refund before going to the desk. Sometimes the wonders of the Internet don't work to our advantage.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Kathleen wrote: I had not completed the online check in wishing to reclaim the 12€ airport charge I had already paid through KLM. Being pushed for time I decided not to bother and went to check in.
Kathleen

Note, too, that if you check in late or show up to your gate at the last minute, the airline might assume you’re not coming and give your seat away to someone else. To prevent this, check in online up to 24 hours in advance and give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport. (For recommendations, see How Early Should I Get to the Airport?)

https://www.smartertravel.com/worst-seats-on-a-plane/

To complete the online chech in does NOT mean that you cannot reclaim the 12 euro AADF, have done this several times!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:14 pm

Agree with mouche, to complete the online check in does not mean that you cannot reclaim the 12 euro AADF.

ALL airlines overbook, it is normal industy practice as there are usually at least one or two no-shows on just about every flight. I read somewhere recently that there are calls to regulate this practice & make it illegal. Trouble is, that would probably inflate flight prices.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Carolina wrote:...ALL airlines overbook, it is normal industy practice as there are usually at least one or two no-shows on just about every flight...

I think 10 % is the norm, assuming the demand is there.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 am

There is no such thing as a "norm" when it comes to overbooking.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:06 am

So are you saying an airline would 100 % overbook if the demand was there in the hope that 50 % of people would not turn up?

It depends on your interpretation of the word "norm". Many of us know, from personal experience, that an airline will continue taking bookings after all seats have been sold, on the assumption that there are always some no-shows, but at some point they will stop. My understanding, from talking to airline staff, is that, typically, they will stop taking bookings once they are 10 % overbooked. That is what I meant by "10 % is the norm". Obviously not all flights are overbooked by 10 % because not all flights will have that level of demand.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:45 am

You claim there is a "norm" of 10% overbooking and I claim that's incorrect as there is no such "norm". Som airlines overbook, others don't. Some airlines overbook more on certain routes that other routes since they do this based on past experience on the particular route in question.

So are you saying an airline would 100 % overbook if the demand was there in the hope that 50 % of people would not turn up?

What a totally low life stupid statement/"question"!

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:13 pm

We came in just over a week ago. Easyjet then Aegean from Athens. Auto check-in and auto baggage check-in. The couple in front of us was 100 gm overweight and the auto check-in wouldn't accept the bag.

Looks as if Agean are now super strict.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:37 pm

In January, flying back with Aegean having visited my sick Father, with hand luggage only, I went to the seating area when the flight was called, prior to boarding. A representative was going from person with weighing scales, checking hand luggage weights. My case weighed in at 7.5 kilos. When my flight was called, I opened my case and put a magazine inside and zipped it up. The same representative saw me, came over and weighed my case again. I was still within the limit. Yes, quite strict ... and observant.
Someday is now : )

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:45 pm

mouche wrote:You claim there is a "norm" of 10% overbooking and I claim that's incorrect as there is no such "norm". Some airlines overbook, others don't. Some airlines overbook more on certain routes than on other routes since they do this based on past experience on the particular route in question.

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:29 pm

Mouche, I imagine that Kilkis has had the sense and dignity to ignore that unpleasantly provocative remark, which you've now made twice, presumably aiming to goad. I'm sure Warwick realised long since that the interminable, tedious verbal spats between the two of you have bored and annoyed the rest of us, and that he is gracefully refusing to be drawn. Playground insults cheapen the quality of the debate here. Please don't use them.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:08 am

Sorry, I missed it, Clio. I was busy grubbing around on the bottom of my pond lookin for something juicy to eat.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:12 am

Clio wrote:

...., and that he is gracefully refusing to be drawn.

Gracefully? My foot!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:23 pm

Nobody could accuse me of being graceful. I wasn't going to pursue it but since Mouche is determined to be obnoxious here is a quote from an Independent article on overbooking, my emphasis in red:

The giant budget carrier, Ryanair, says it is "the only airline in Europe that does not overbook its flights".

Here is a definition from Collins English Dictionary:

If you say that a situation is the norm, you mean that it is usual and expected.

I would say that putting together Ryanair's statement and Collins definition, saying "Overbooking is the norm" is a reasonable statement. It does look like my estimate of 10 % is a bit high. It was based on my personal experience with national carriers some years ago. Given the levels of compensation introduced by Directive EC261, which are in addition to the cost of providing alternative transport, it is possible that the airlines have reduced the level since I did a lot of travelling. Overbooking is always a balance between achieving as close to full occupancy as possible, which keeps fares down and maximises profits, and the cost of rectifying the problem when it goes wrong. Any increase in the cost of rectifying the problem, which E261 does, tends to reduce the "optimum" level of overbooking.

As I've said before, everybody is entitled to alternative opinions but not to alternative facts.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”