Irini Masterchef Winner

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Mixos

Irini Masterchef Winner

Postby Mixos » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:16 am

Amid all the Brexit gloom, some happy news ... Irini Tzortzoglou, originally from a village near Heraklion, now living in Cumbria, UK, was "crowned" Masterchef 2019 on BBC1 tonight. Bravo Irini !

paul g

Re: Irini Masterchef Winner

Postby paul g » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:36 pm

I watched her, she was brill.

jane m clayton

Postby jane m clayton » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:45 pm

She's cooked so many stunning dishes with familiar elements throughout the competition and then won it with a paidakia as her main course...fantastic!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:54 pm

I loved grilled children but I couldn't eat a whole one.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Hahaha Warwick!

I hadn't heard of this dish bedore now! There are some good recipes for it on the internet.
Someday is now : )

jane m clayton

Postby jane m clayton » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Internet translation, Warwick...doesn't take away from her amazing win.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:58 pm

I was looking forward to watching this tonight. Not quite such a beguiling prospect now, though, since thanks to the above spoiler I already know the winner.

Mixos could you not just have omitted the winner's name from your post title, for the benefit of those of us who have to watch on catchup as and when we can?

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:59 pm

Apologies, Clio. Fair point. I got a bit carried away by the pleasure of the result. Hope you can enjoy it nonetheless.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:04 pm

Accepted of course: there are far more important things to get tetchy about and yes, it's always good to see Greeks demonstrably knowing their stuff (see also Varoufakis eloquently scathing on Question Time about the B-word debacle). I've always been put off Masterchef by the gruesome twosome in charge, and only started watching this series, late, because I was told about Eirine and wanted to root for her. A big mistake to begin viewing a food programme when two days into the strict Lenten diet, though. Eating undressed tuna salad while the screen is spread with chocolate ganache and it feels like you're watching Masochef.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:24 am

Clio wrote:...(see also Varoufakis eloquently scathing on Question Time about the B-word debacle)...

Agreed.

Clio wrote:...A big mistake to begin viewing a food programme when two days into the strict Lenten diet, though. Eating undressed tuna salad while the screen is spread with chocolate ganache and it feels like you're watching Masochef.

I didn't think tuna was allowed in a strict Lenten diet? I thought fish was forbidden and only seafood like shellfish, squid, octopus, cuttlefish etc were allowed? It always struck me as odd that the things that are allowed in an Orthodox Lenten diet are largely the things that are banned altogether by Kosher rules yet Jesus was Jewish. The Lenten diet is followed in remembrance of the time Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness but the things that are eaten are all the things he wouldn't have eaten even when he wasn't fasting? I could never quite get my head round that.

Having followed a non-strict Lenten diet once for the full 49 days, i.e. no meat at all but I still ate olive oil, eggs, dairy produce and fish, I do agree that I wouldn't have wanted to watch cookery programmes. My bosses idea of following the Orthodox rules was to eat squid on Good Friday and not eat on the Saturday evening until after midnight. He still ate at Saturday lunch time.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”