Problem with / avoid Aegean Airline code-share flights

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Toebs

Problem with / avoid Aegean Airline code-share flights

Postby Toebs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:46 pm

I was looking at a flight to Oz.

Summary : Aegean have a flight, but they have no information on baggage allowance, or extra baggage costs, or special baggage costs - not on their site, and not after a week of talking to customer support. You are expected to roll up on the day, to the airport, pay the inflated on-the-day prices, and only find out what they are when you actually turn up (and I suspect the bike alone will cost more than the ticket, about 1000 USD vs 800 USD for the ticket). You also cannot notify Aegean you are bringing a bike, so they can deny you boarding.

The full story;

The flight has three classes - Saver, Flex, Business.

I look at the baggage info page.

There are three classes - Flex GoLight, Flex and Business.

Is Flex the same as Saver?

There are three distance catagories - domestic, short international, long international. Each lists the countries in the category. Australia isn't listed.

I contact customer service. I explain the information is not on the site and I ask - "Is Saver the same as Flex? what's the baggage allowance, and how much is extra baggage and how much is a bike?"

First reply is an automatic, I think - it's a boilerplate with the baggage info URLs.

I reply and explain again, briefly.

A human replies : "you can only pay for luggage at the gate on the day".

Which doesn't answer the first question about classes, the second question about allowance, or the third question about prices. It also implies paying the typically double cost you pay on the day.

This goes on for about a week. (Support try to weasal out of it a couple of times - "don't email us, try calling! they'll tell you" (I did try it at one point - I was told the allowance was 1 bag of 35kg, which makes no sense since the maximum baggage weight is 32kg, and they still didn't know prices) and also "we can't tell you unless you booked the ticket already so we know the ticket class and destination".)

I still don't know any of the answers. I have of course now booked a different flight.

I think basically because it's a code-share, Aegean know nothing about prices or allowances, and you can't find out by calling the other airline, because the ticket is sold through Aegean.

So the deal is this : you buy the ticket, you leave your hotel/airbnb/etc, book one in the destinaton country, roll up to the airport and THEN we tell you much how it will all cost.

Aegean are freaking insane.

There's one extra thing - you are instructed to inform the airline in advance that you are bringing a bike. If you do not, they can deny boarding. You can't tell them you're bringing a bike.

As an aside, bike costs fall into two catagories. There are airlines which charge a flat rate (say, 250 euro to Oz) and there are airlines which consider it normal luggage and charge only for the extra weight. For a long distance trip, you're looking at say 40 USD per extra kilo, and that's 25 kilos. So your basic ticket for you - 90kg and 23kg of luggage is say 800 USD, and then your bike (25 kg) is 1000 USD.

Kilkis

Re: Problem with / avoid Aegean Airline code-share flights

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Why take a bike at all? If it costs $1,000 in excess baggage you could buy a bike at your destination for much less than that and just throw it away when you return?

I know a couple of people who have flown to Australia/New Zealand and have found it better to book through a travel agent. It will probably involve more than one airline and travel agents have the necessary information.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:18 pm

We brought two bikes to Crete, each cost us 30 euro xtra on the flight (Norwegian) but saved us 3/400 euro each compared to the price we had to pay in Crete for similar bikes. The choice was simple!

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Kilkis wrote:Why take a bike at all? If it costs $1,000 in excess baggage you could buy a bike at your destination for much less than that and just throw it away when you return?

Fancy bike.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:51 pm

I think that sometimes it's better to use a travel agent. At least they'll know who to phone.

BST

Postby BST » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:58 pm

Very easy to book Scoot from Athens to Australia now but don't know how they charge for bikes. Aegean are bad enough when it comes to booking skis!

Toebs

Postby Toebs » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:22 am

BST wrote:Very easy to book Scoot from Athens to Australia now but don't know how they charge for bikes. Aegean are bad enough when it comes to booking skis!

It looks like they charge 85 euro, which is by far the lowest price I've seen (you pay 85 euro for another piece of luggage, up to 32kg, and that's what the bike is considered as).

The next best was SWISS at 250.

I may however be mis-reading their prices. It's a PDF, and it's not all that clear. It has various things on it which are not explained, so I'm taking my best guess.

The flight also is from Athens, not Heraklion, so there's another 100 euro or so (with bike) to get to Athens. Still, they represent about 550 off the next best price I'd found, with SWISS.

I do remember looking at them when I was searching. I don't remember why I didn't think to use them.

Return to “Chatter”