Green

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
George

Green

Postby George » Thu May 09, 2019 9:50 am

I have just returned from a weeks holiday in Crete, and although we have been there early in the season before I can't remember it ever having been so green. This was in the south of the island and it was beautiful to see so much colour compared to the more natural brown shades we're used to. I suppose there must have been a very wet winter.

Mixos

Re: Green

Postby Mixos » Thu May 09, 2019 10:30 am

There was, George. See altohb's post further down this section, plus other comments over the past few months. Wet wet wet.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 am

'Wet' hardly begins to describe it. It started raining here in the East at the end of November and finally let up in early March. It often rained for days at a time and all day long. It was frequently accompanied by high winds, and I doubt if we had more than twenty dry days in that time period. The farmers seemed to enjoy it; myself, less so ....

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Thu May 09, 2019 12:32 pm

Take a look at the postings on You Tube. There are some horrendous sights on the National Highway and with bridges collapsing left right and centre. Devastation all round the local demos is still trying to sort road access and bridge collapses out.

Look under Flooding In Rethymnon 2019 for a good selection.

Kat

George

Postby George » Sat May 11, 2019 6:16 pm

We noticed quite a few roads where the edges had been washed away and plenty evidence of temporary repairs but it looked so vibrant compared to normal. I looked at photos I had taken in the past near Saktouria and the difference is night and day in terms of colour - the old picture brown, the new one green.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat May 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Yes up here in the mountains in the East we are enjoying an abundance of wild flowers, all the wells in the village are full and the village spring that dried up is running again after being dry for nearly two years very very slowly but running ....Folk around here in their 80's where shocked when it stopped they had never seen that before....

Return to “Chatter”