Day trip to Santorini

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
jackdaw

Day trip to Santorini

Postby jackdaw » Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 pm

A young (and rather foolish) relative is honeymooning in Santorini. Since we will be missing the wedding we are considering a flying visit. Has anyone done this trip from Chania?

Guy M

Re: Day trip to Santorini

Postby Guy M » Wed May 22, 2019 8:09 am

My wife did a yoga course in Santorini (you couldn’t make this up). She flew from Heraklion - over 2 hours as it was via Athens. On the way back she did the journey on the high speed ferry to Heraklion - well, not that high speed (about 2.5 hours) so it is quite a long day if you are nearer Chania.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 am

Seajets do a day return from Rethymnon twice a week on Tuesdays and Saturdays. The first one left yesterday at 08.00 hrs, (I heard it as it went out) returns at around 20.00hrs. cost last season was 150€ per passenger, expensive but it does include an excursion which may be optional and also a long day.

Look it up here, https://santorini.seajets.gr/

Kathleen

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Wed May 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks folks. Too expensive. The honeymooners will have to come and see us!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 pm

I suppose they may as well. I can't imagine they would have anything better to do?

Warwick

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Fri May 24, 2019 11:46 am

Weve been to Santorini a few times now , we live west crete , get the bus to Heraklion then there is either a speed jet costing around 60 euros or the slow ferry costing around 40 euros . The speed jet from Rethymnon is expensive as its used for the day trips . Its cheaper to make your own way

bradleycooperiwish

Postby bradleycooperiwish » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:03 pm

I love Santorini! Can't wait to go back and visit :)

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:14 pm

I met a German couple holidaying here a month ago. They decided to spend three nights on Santorini, so booked a boutique hotel in Chora for their visit. They thought going to the island in May it might be quieter, but they said it was horrendous. They tried to sleep with their windows open, but the noise from the street below was loud until almost 0400h each night. In the day the cruise liners came in and it was like ‘playing sardines’ everywhere. - They could not wait to get back to Kriti. They did say though that is is a beautiful island.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Maud wrote:I met a German couple holidaying here a month ago. ................. In the day the cruise liners came in and it was like ‘playing sardines’ everywhere. - They could not wait to get back to Kriti. They did say though that is is a beautiful island.
Just returned from 14 days on a gorgeous island very similar to Santorini but slightly larger. (I was on a week's photo course which we extended ('Er Indoors spent her time on beaches, cafés,shops and boat trips while we snappers were off to inaccessible places). Not a cruise liner in sight but several small ferries daily -Seajets and the like - which did turn-arounds in 15 mins or less. Must have been fewer people than it seemed as nowhere felt crowded although high season might be different.

Vibrant atmosphere on the seafront near the harbour and in the island capital but quiet elsewhere - our hotel was three minutes walk from the centre and virtually silent. Stunning landscapes and coastline, mostly visible only from sea, and several beaches inaccessible from the landward side unless you fancy a two hours each way trek.

We suspect it's in the process of being 'discovered' and becoming the 'new Santorini'.

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Maud wrote:They decided to spend three nights on Santorini, so booked a boutique hotel in Chora for their visit. They thought going to the island in May it might be quieter, but they said it was horrendous.

Chora is that Fira?
Stayed on Santorini 3 or 4 times, always on the outskirts of Oia.
Was much quieter, and a lot cheaper than it is now.

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:49 am

Chora was where they told me Peebee but my German isn’t great, so I might have misunderstood. (There always seems to be a Chora as the ‘capital’ on most of the smaller islands and they often have two names!). As I said previously, they liked the island, just not how busy it was!

Are you going to share the name of your quiet island with us then Phil? I am intrigued!

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Getting on for 20 years ago, a generous friend treated us to day-trip tickets to Santorini, and oh, what a memorable excursion that was.

The leaflet we were given said the boat left Rethymno harbour at 7.30, but as we drove up to the dock at 7.10, it was casting off. Abandoning the car, we had to long-jump onto the rapidly retracting gangway.

Up on the top (and only) deck, we found all our fellow passengers had grabbed two plastic chairs apiece – one to sit on, one to rest their feet on while they stripped off and settled down to sunbathe. There were no plastic chairs left, no other seating and no shade.

We retreated into the other public area - a dingy, windowless red plush ‘lounge’ reeking of cigarette smoke like a 1950s cinema. From there to the dining room and the breakfast (included!) which sticks in the memory like the chewing gum on the ripped upholstery of the seating. Watery, saccharine squash for juice, rock-hard rolls,, and scrambled eggs made, hours before, from powdered egg.

Three hours passed, very slowly, with brief forays up aloft to look at points of interest, which mostly consisted of sea, until finally we arrived at scenic Santorini.

I had read that it was a tourist rip-off, which it was, and had marked up the one tavern which the Rough Guide reckoned was good and reasonably priced. After trailing interminably round alleys filled with tourist tat and failing to find it, we settled, starving, for being ripped off. Things brightened up when we found an interesting museum in a cool and beautiful Venetian mansion but we had no sooner paid our admission when they told us they were closing for the afternoon break. We could use our tickets again though, for the evening session. Which started half an hour after the boat was due to set sail for Crete.

More trailing round the lanes, until one’s companion fell in love for some reason with a large and hideously expensive model boat which we couldn’t afford and for which we had no room in a small flat. Words were had, but the boat was purchased and carried around with some difficulty and a terse silence for the rest of the mercifully short stay.

Back on our rust-bucket boat, a dinner of dried-up, brittle pasta dolloped with a kind of watery red soup, and followed by slimy slices of melon was abandoned by mutual consent, as was a brief visit to the lounge with its swirling clouds of cigarette smoke – the deck having been abandoned as night fell and turned chilly. Never been so glad to see Rethymno, never had to lie so outrageously as we thanked our benefactor the next day.
I’ve no doubt it’s a totally different experience these days but I haven’t quite got the stomach to find out.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:16 pm

Great story Clio. The very definition of ‘type 2 enjoyment’, where you don’t like something at the time, but look back on it afterwards and are glad you did it.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 pm

Maud wrote:…………Are you going to share the name of your quiet island with us then Phil? I am intrigued!

Nope, as explained in the PM sent.

Maud

Postby Maud » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks filippos - Reply by PM sent.

Return to “Chatter”