Is long line fishing with multiple hooks from the beach illegal?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
OldCodgerTwo

Is long line fishing with multiple hooks from the beach illegal?

Postby OldCodgerTwo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:59 am

Is this form of fishing illegal? And fishing with a speargun? Seems to be quite frequent in Sougia.How can I report it?

Kilkis

Re: Is long line fishing with multiple hooks from the beach illegal?

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:07 am

You can certainly fish with a spear-gun but only using a snorkel. Spear-gun fishing with diving gear is illegal. I've no idea about long-line fishing.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:44 am

Yes. The thread that you linked also says that it is legal. The thread identifies the regulations surrounding it. I only mentioned one of them, i.e. not with scuba gear. All fishing in Greece requires a licence so no big surprise that spear fishing does as well. When you get the licence it will identify all the other regulations, although most of them are common sense.

I am not sure why you are asking the question when the thread that you linked answers it for you?

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:21 pm

If you take the time to read what you wrote and what is written in the link you would understand.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:33 pm

Yeah ,a beach I go to for walking the dogs in the winter and swimming in the summer ...has regular long line fishers ....They use a small raft sometimes just a lump of polystyrene with an upright bit and sometimes a more elaborate wooden thing with a mast and cloth sails ....and a large washing up bowl with the line and hooks carefully laid in coils ....it takes ages to get it set up not a thing you could furtively ...you have to do it with a gentle wind blowing off shore and a calm sea.... Launch the raft with the line attached and slowly pay it out baiting the hooks as you go....tie it to something solid ...get your sunshade and a cold beer ...and wait ...and hope the wind don't swing around ....I've seen some good hauls from folk doing this , and a whole mix of fish ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:20 pm

What I wrote:

Kilkis wrote:You can certainly fish with a spear-gun but only using a snorkel. Spear-gun fishing with diving gear is illegal...

What the linked article says:

"There are two kinds of fishing with a spear:

1) Fishing with a simple spear, non-mechanical, used just with the power of the hand, and

2) Fishing with a spear with a launch mechanism, the so-called harpoon gun.

Both of these ways of fishing are under the provision of the Presidential Decree 373/85 and, for their use, you’ll have to obtain an individual license for amateur fishery for which you can apply to any Port Authority in Greece.

It is forbidden for amateur underwater fishermen to:

c) to use any kind of diving gear that provides air from a boat or any kind of autonomous diving gear that provides air. Also, it is forbidden to keep breathing apparatus on board;

As far as I am concerned the article says exactly what I said. Yes it added further information about a licence and some other rules, e.g. where you can't do it, when you can't do it and catch limits, that would be included with the licence.

I would guess that you are conflating two issues. The original question asked about long line fishing from the beach and about spear fishing. It did not ask if the spear fishing was allowed close to a beach it simply asked if spear fishing was allowed. That is the question I answered.

Warwick

OldCodgerTwo

Postby OldCodgerTwo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:05 pm

So is it legal or not?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:03 pm

If anybody on the forum knew for certain I suspect they would have replied by now.

Spear fishing is definitely legal providing you obey all the rules. Whether the people you have seen doing it are obeying the rules or not I have no idea. I have not watched them. Since you have, why not read the rules as described in Mouche's link and decide for yourself?

As I said in my first reply I have no idea if long line fishing is legal or not. Any sort of fishing requires a licence and they are issued at the Port Authority. Why not ask there if long line fishing from the beach is allowed and get a definitive answer?

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:19 pm

I regularly fish from the shore with spinning gear. I frequently see spearfishermen swimming through my favourite spots!!! I was unaware of the need for a licence (None is needed in UK) for any form of fishing in Greece. I would be prepared to bet that none off them has a licence. Who is supposed to check on Licences? Have you seen the size of fish that end up in local fishermen's buckets? My Cretan friends were astonished when I returned aa small fish to the sea.

john4d

Postby john4d » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:48 pm

Various licences issued by the CoastGuard/Port Police were either abolished or relaxed some years ago. This coincided with a sharp reduction in the number of officers available. If you fished from a boat you needed a boat Licence, a licence to fish from the boat and everyone on board the boat needed a fishing licence. Now I believe only the boat licence is needed, but as my memory is fading I might be wrong. Ask the Port Police, most of them are very helpfull. I know boats wern't mentioned in the original question but they are an example of how the licencing regulations have changed.
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Return to “Chatter”