What3Words

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Yin&Yang

What3Words

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:07 pm

I guess you may have already read about this free app in the news. It's worth takng a look if you haven't. For those of us who have no proper address - we don't live on a named road, nor do we have a house number - then it might be useful when expecting deliveries or indeed should we ever need emergency services in a hurry. Plus of course there are benefits should one find themselves lost, be looking for a place poorly mapped, etc., etc.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Re: What3Words

Postby Kilkis » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Wouldn't it require the other person, e.g. postman, courier, ambulance, garage etc to also have the app?

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Yes it would and it's already been used in many countries by emergency services and couriers.

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:26 pm

There is already a system in place, it's called GPS co-ordinates, don't need an app.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:47 pm

I think it is a simple three word system which directs someone to a three square meter area. GPS is obviosuly the biz but I'm thinking that this might be a simpler message to convey to emergency services etc. My three words are ....
Haven't downloaded the app so have no first hand experience but thought it might be useful. :D

paul g

Postby paul g » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:22 pm

just tried it out, it's bloody good.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:26 pm

I agree yin & yang. Three words are much easier to remember than a series of numbers and dots for longitude and latitude.

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:21 am

Kookla wrote:I agree yin & yang. Three words are much easier to remember than a series of numbers and dots for longitude and latitude.

An app that sends GPS co-ordinates directly to the other party would be a lot easier surely, you wouldn't have to remember anything.
Does this app know the `3 word' location of anywhere you might be? If so it could be useful if you have broken down, had an accident or are lost, if not then - GPS.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:58 am

A 'free' app that looks very usefull if you are happy to give them your personal data including misspelling of searches(?) and your saved locations to be shared with Google and Facebook data that you may also have...and with anyone else they can sell such data to. Think I will stick with good old GPS, as they say if it aint broke then don't fix it.

"When you use the Website and/or the Apps to access our services, we may use technology such as (but not limited to) that provided by Google (Google Analytics and Google Firebase) and Matamo (see Section 3 below) to collect information about your visit to our Website and use our Apps. In essence, Google Analytics and Firebase enables us to analyse how you and others interact with our Website and Apps. The information we collect may include:

your IP address;
your device ID;
the type of browser you use (e.g. are you using the Chrome or Safari browser?);
the number of sessions per browser on each device;
the type of device (eg Samsung) and operating system (eg Android) you are using;
referrer information;
time zone;
user preferences;
which 3 word address locations you searched or landed on the App or Website. In addition we would receive the text of anything you type incorrectly into the search bar;
which 3 word address locations you have saved;
user content including photographs, videos and other content that you choose to share on our Website or Apps and any associated content including comments that you post to our Website and/or Apps;
which pages you visited on the website; and
analytics information in relation to your interactions with the newsletter (e.g. click rates) and
if you elect to join our squares community (subject to our Squares Terms), we may hold any personal data you choose to share within any social media group (including Facebook and Slack) set up by us for the purpose of engaging the community. In addition, if you choose to share your unique what3words download link, we may also track the number of downloads which resulted from that link."

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:20 am

Yes peebee, the creator of the app has mapped the world so if you did find yourself lost and you had wifi AND your device's battery hadn't expired then emergency services could pinpoint your location within three meters squared.

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:Yes peebee, the creator of the app has mapped the world so if you did find yourself lost and you had wifi AND your device's battery hadn't expired then emergency services could pinpoint your location within three meters squared.

That is probably the main flaw, no wifi, and I don't have data on my phone as I never need to use it.
So I presume the app knows where you are via GPS :D

Philb

Postby Philb » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:44 am

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:46 am

:D

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:51 am

An old school friend of mine was on holiday in the UK with her husband during the summer and they went out horse riding. They keep horses and so are experienced riders but didn’t know the area which they were staying in very well. My friend’s husband took a fall and was injured and concussed. My friend called emergency services used What3Words to pinpoint their exact location.

Return to “Chatter”