Quiet Hours

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kilkis

Quiet Hours

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:28 am

Is anybody in Greece aware of this law? I regularly hear loud music throughout the night, especially in the summer and people continue strimming and chain sawing through the siesta period.

Warwick

GlennB

Re: Quiet Hours

Postby GlennB » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:27 pm

We're certainly aware of it, but I'm not sure that many others around here are ;)

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm not sure, but I have been told the rules are different for cities & towns as opposed to villages. In my area, made up of villages, the only quiet time I'm aware of is in the summer, 1st June to 31st August, between 3pm & 5pm.

rohima

Postby rohima » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:36 pm

We were told about it some years ago, but you'd never guess it existed, from the noises in our village during these hours. I especially love the bit that says "residents are not allowed to ... carry out noisy discussions or arguments". Is there any other sort of discussion or argument, in Greece? I just wish fewer of them met outside our house to have them ;-)

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 am

It's a pity that this law appears to say nothing about people allowing their dogs to bark all night long!

altohb

Postby altohb » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:47 pm

Mixos wrote:It's a pity that this law appears to say nothing about people allowing their dogs to bark all night long!

...or, indeed, th %#@&+"* hunters at stupid o'clock in the morning setting our dogs off!

OldCodgerTwo

Postby OldCodgerTwo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Music must finish at Midnight! We phoned a couple of hotels near us who carried on til one or two and the music ceased!

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:57 am

There is a venue (an old school with a large playground) which is used for parties - baptisms, weddings, funerals and all the different events in the summer months. Its a kilometre away from us, across the valley, The music and dancing goes on well after midnight. It stops for a while and then they strike up again. And when the music eventually stops, sometime near dawn, the gunfire starts!!! Love it. I have never considered driving over to ask them to turn it down a bit. I know what would happen. They would put a drink in one hand and a pate of food in the other.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:24 pm

Yes Jackdaw ...music events often last all night around here too.....I've stood by the open kitchen door listening to music on the wind at dawn watching the sun come up while the kettle boils many times...thinking how lucky I am to live here ... Soon it's going to be Raki making time at the village still ...that is usually an excuse for a few all nighters ...

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:15 pm

I met my friend Michaelis our village headman...(or "The Boss" as we call him) while I was walking the dogs just now. He has started up the Kasarni this evening ...party on ....it will run for 5 or 6 weeks ....music ,food , family , a bit of drinking , and a lot of hard work ....for him and his son.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:50 am

Wasn't aware of an actual law, but we do desist from piano playing, loud music on the radio or TV from about 3pm until 6 pm daily in deference to neighbours that we know have a siesta. Being in bed by 10 (it's an age thing!) means we hear a lot but don't cause much noise apart from a bi of loud snoring perhaps!

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “Chatter”