What`s the best way to get rid of Oleander?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
OldCodgerTwo

What`s the best way to get rid of Oleander?

Postby OldCodgerTwo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:29 pm

Got four big stumps with strong roots after cutting down with a chainsaw.just spent two days digging around one stump with a pick axe trying to break the roots with no luck!! Someone said make the plant die first! How? Any ideas anyone? Muchio Gracas in Advancio por fav vor oh !

Andy

Re: What`s the best way to get rid of Oleander?

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:51 am

I had success with an old stump, from an unknown tree, by digging down and around as much as possible and then lighting a decent fire under it - it never grew back. You might want to wait until later in the year when fires are allowed.

Andy

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:18 pm

Would be a bit dubious about burning it and breathing in the smoke, as it is poisonous.

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Yes peebee, the smoke is VERY poisonous. I think everything about the tree is poisonous. I heard advice to kill a fig tree - drill down into the tree/roots and then pack the holes with salt.

Andy

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:30 pm

I'd forgotten about the poison aspect. Someone told me the other day that the whole plant is poisonous and using a branch as a barbecue skewer was not recommended unless you had it in for someone :!: Mine was an unidentified fruit tree going by the shoot that had started to come from the stump.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:54 pm

I bought some poison from a shop close to where the Omalos road joins the Old Kissamos road. About 50 m before Italian Factory Outlet coming from the Omalos direction. I'll find the name of the poison tomorrow and add it to the post. You drill holes vertically down into the stump and fill them with the poison. I've not used it yet so I don't know how effective it is. The whole area around me gets invaded with a fern like plant that grows into a tree. The roots are like a deep tap root so they are the very devil to get out and they seem to spread under ground and put up new shoots.

I agree it is dangerous to burn Oleander as all parts of the plant are poisonous including smoke from it.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:57 am

It is quite likely that you will be unable to buy poison. As of a couple of years ago (I think) farmers had to sit an exam and be certificated to be able to buy poisons, and shops need to check that you have a certificate before they will sell to you. This is theory, of course, but our local agricultural shop does check, so be aware that this might happen!
Last edited by altohb on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:05 am

The stuff I was sold is Lentemul 60 SL. I bought it in the last few weeks with no questions at all.

Warwick

Alf

Postby Alf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Ammonium Sulphamate used to be a good weed killer/stump killer. It was banned some time ago.
More information at the following URL

https://www.allotment-garden.org/garden ... er-banned/

Alf

P.S. Ammonium Sulphamate can still be bought and used as a Compost Accelerator.

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Just ask for "Round Up". Every Greek knows what that is. Personally I'd rather not know, but it's obviously very effective: I've seen the results of an application a number of times, and it looks like the roots don't stand a chance.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Unless you are trying to rid yourself of wild petunia. I had never used glyphosate in my life until this summer. I am applying a weekly high strength dilution to our wild petunias and after three months it is still fighting back. It is a very invasive although attractive plant!
Someday is now : )

OldCodgerTwo

Postby OldCodgerTwo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Just had this advice from a neighbour ,drill a few large holes in the top of the stump downwards and pour old engne oil in ,keep reflling.Think I might try this!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:52 am

Yes drilling down into the stump is a plan ,but I would fill the holes with nitrogen/ sulphate of ammonia fertiliser. waste engine oil might work but smell like an old scrap yard....

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:54 am

OldCodgerTwo wrote:Just had this advice from a neighbour ,drill a few large holes in the top of the stump downwards and pour old engne oil in ,keep reflling.Think I might try this!

Get a tin can and make a small hole in the base. Fill with the old oil and sit on top of stump, and let it drip.
You might need to put a screw in to stop it blowing off, could also act as a regulator for the flow rate.
A friend of mine's father used to do this with a mix of old oil and creosote for treating his wooden fenceposts.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:51 am

I might recommend this to my neighbour as a slightly more eco-friendly way of disposing of his pickup engine oil which, at the moment, he just tips into the storm drain.

Return to “Chatter”