Kalyves Post Office

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
margarita

Kalyves Post Office

Postby margarita » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:42 pm

There arearticles in today's Apokoronaslife

https://www.apokoronaslife.gr/

about the possible closure of the Post Office in Kalyves due to lack of staff. Maria who mostly used to deal with customers at the counter has been moved to Vrysses leaving Manolis and Adonis to man the counter and also sort & deliver the post.

In the meantime the Post Office will be closed two days per week to allow them to do their deliveries. Unfortunately the article does not say which two days.

Presumably if this P.O. closes everyone will have to use the Vrysses office which by all accounts is already very busy. Apparently Apokoronas Council have taken up the matter with ELTA.

Kilkis

Re: Kalyves Post Office

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:38 am

Not directly related but both banks have now closed in our village to the south west of Chania, a branch of the Cooperative Bank of Chania and a branch of Pankritia Bank. There are also rumours that the post office is going to close here and that serves the whole Mousouron area. The main taverna in the village closed permanently last year and there are rumours that another nearby taverna is about to close. If this is part of the much vaunted recovery of the Greek economy it is a strange recovery.

Warwick

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:59 am

I picked up a parcel last Tuesday, and Manolis was telling me about this. Both he and Adonis were completely snowed under with packages...and yet true to form, I can always get a cheery word and smile from them. I for one thoroughly appreciate the work that they do. I also feel that they, especially Manolis who covers the more remote villages like Ramni etc do more than ‘just’ deliver the post. He is a lookout for those in trouble ( i.e. elderly and infirm) and a contact point for conversation etc.
I do hope that the decision makers come to their senses and realise what a local hub and asset this place is.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:23 am

Well said!
Someday is now : )

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:34 am

In my native country we hardly have any postoffices left as the job is done by the local grocerystore. This works very well and never hear any complaints.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:36 am

This appears to be a wider ELTA problem. The PO in Sitia is understaffed as well, and one (at least) of the village posties has retired and not been replaced. We have a box in the nearest village and often go more than a week without post, then get a wodge of it all in one go. There used to be a daily delivery, and we knew what time, roughly, that it would be. We are still awaiting Christmas cards from "usual" senders!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:55 pm

Does anyone have an update on the Post Office in Kalyves? It is still operating and yesterday Maria was working there but I didn’t ask any questions as there were other customers around.
Someday is now : )

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Kookla wrote:I picked up a parcel last Tuesday, and Manolis was telling me about this. Both he and Adonis were completely snowed under with packages...and yet true to form, I can always get a cheery word and smile from them. I for one thoroughly appreciate the work that they do. I also feel that they, especially Manolis who covers the more remote villages like Ramni etc do more than ‘just’ deliver the post. He is a lookout for those in trouble ( i.e. elderly and infirm) and a contact point for conversation etc.
I do hope that the decision makers come to their senses and realise what a local hub and asset this place is.

Noble sentiments. Sadly in today's world, there is no room for sentiment in the 'business' building. Profit is the word on every door! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Lots of confusion. Kalyves post office now telling people no mail is coming or going from the UK, yet the ELTA press release of 30th March still shows Great Britain as being OK.

Only thing to say is last Friday, no mail in Kokkino Horio for anyone from anywhere except Greece. Checking again tomorrow. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:41 pm

We had post delivered last Wednesday (1st) by Manolis from Kalyves Post Office. The letters had come from UK but it was the sort of mail that is not post-marked so difficult to know how long it had taken to get here.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:24 pm

I got several letters from the UK delivered last week but I can't remember which day. Pretty much a waste of time. They were all certificates from banks and NS&I for tax declaration purposes but all of them were wrong. As far as I can tell everybody working in the financial sector is both illiterate and enumerate.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:53 pm

Kilkis wrote: ... illiterate and enumerate.Warwick

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one, Warwick. Loving that.

Tim

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:04 pm

Kilkis wrote:I got several letters from the UK delivered last week but I can't remember which day.
Warwick

It was such a highlight of my week that I put it in my diary!

Cake

Postby Cake » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:24 am

Semi offtopic,

We are living allot closer to the Kalives Postoffice compared to Vrisses Postoffice, yet kalives postoffice tells me to use Vrisses.
Just ignore and use Kalives? Bit scared she turn me over on her knee for a good spanking. :oops:
How does it work with amazon, will amazon contact me or the postoffice when it arrives?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:58 pm

Amazon use a variety of different methods of shipping and you have no real control.

Sometimes it will end up coming all the way by courier and the courier company should contact you. It won't necessarily be the courier company Amazon ship with. Some of the major couriers only have one or two depots in Greece, e.g Athens and Thessaloniki, and they use local couriers for delivery in Greece, e.g. Geniki, ACS, Speedex etc. If your house is easy to find they might deliver right to the door or you might need to meet them somewhere. Often when they phone me I tell them to keep it at their depot and I go and fetch it but that could be a bit dodgy at the moment with lockdown. It's important for there to be a mobile number on the parcel. Couriers etc seem disinclined to use fixed line numbers.

Sometimes Amazon use couriers like DHL-Deutsch Post or UPS i-Parcel who do the final delivery by ELTA so it finishes up at your post office. In that case the post office will contact you either by putting a slip of paper in your post box to tell you the parcel is there or in some cases phoning you.

It is worth noting that in Greece the post code identifies which post office things are delivered to. Vryses is 730 07 while Kalyves is 730 03. Have a look at your electricity bill for example and see what the post code is. You can also look on this web site. Select Chanion in the box labelled Prefecture and either Kalives or Vrises Apokoronou in the box labelled City and for each one you will get a list of villages which each one covers. You should use the post code appropriate to the post office that your village is listed under. If you are sending stuff or doing any other transaction you can use whatever post office you like. If you expect to get stuff delivered to you it is important to use the post code that is appropriate for your village.

Warwick

PS Items sent ordinary Royal Mail also arrive by ELTA but sometimes things sent be Royal Mail Track and Trace actually arrive through a local courier company.

Return to “Chatter”