Kalyves Post Office

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
bobscott

Re: Kalyves Post Office

Postby bobscott » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:29 pm

Interesting website that you highlighted to get postcode Warwick.

I was a bit puzzled at 73007 for Vrysses, but we used to be Vamos 73008 before Vamos ceased to operate. No-one has suggested we change, and we continue to use 73008 as our postcode. Does this mean we should change it to 73007?? We have been getting our mail regularly, delivered by the same postman who used to operate out of Vamos. He says he is getting the sack wef 16 April. Maybe it IS time to change after all? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:59 pm

I can't give you a definitive answer, Bob. I would imagine that when ELTA decided to close post offices it automatically rerouted everything with the closed post code to whichever open office was appropriate. I would tend to continue to use the same post code unless told not to. Obviously the ELTA delivery van is not going to drop mail off at a closed post office. You could determine from the ELTA page which code is appropriate to your exact location, if that is possible, and then ask in that particular post office if you should switch to using it.

The important thing is that, unlike the UK, the post code does not really define where you are, except in the loosest sense. It defines which post office your post should be sent to. ELTA decide which post office is appropriate for each location. It may not always be the nearest one. For example distributing the volume of mail commensurate with the number of delivery staff in each office may result in a more distant office with more staff being allocated for a particular village.

Interestingly Wikipedia still shows Vamos as 730 08 and does not show Vryses at all, except the one in Lasithi. The code 730 07 is shown as Georgioupolis and Kryonerida.

Warwick

Cake

Postby Cake » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Kilkis wrote:Amazon use a variety of different methods of shipping and you have no real control.

Sometimes it will end up coming all the way by courier and the courier company should contact you. It won't necessarily be the courier company Amazon ship with. Some of the major couriers only have one or two depots in Greece, e.g Athens and Thessaloniki, and they use local couriers for delivery in Greece, e.g. Geniki, ACS, Speedex etc. If your house is easy to find they might deliver right to the door or you might need to meet them somewhere. Often when they phone me I tell them to keep it at their depot and I go and fetch it but that could be a bit dodgy at the moment with lockdown. It's important for there to be a mobile number on the parcel. Couriers etc seem disinclined to use fixed line numbers.

Sometimes Amazon use couriers like DHL-Deutsch Post or UPS i-Parcel who do the final delivery by ELTA so it finishes up at your post office. In that case the post office will contact you either by putting a slip of paper in your post box to tell you the parcel is there or in some cases phoning you.

It is worth noting that in Greece the post code identifies which post office things are delivered to. Vryses is 730 07 while Kalyves is 730 03. Have a look at your electricity bill for example and see what the post code is. You can also look on this web site. Select Chanion in the box labelled Prefecture and either Kalives or Vrises Apokoronou in the box labelled City and for each one you will get a list of villages which each one covers. You should use the post code appropriate to the post office that your village is listed under. If you are sending stuff or doing any other transaction you can use whatever post office you like. If you expect to get stuff delivered to you it is important to use the post code that is appropriate for your village.

Warwick

PS Items sent ordinary Royal Mail also arrive by ELTA but sometimes things sent be Royal Mail Track and Trace actually arrive through a local courier company.

Usefull information, thanks allot!

Would be so nice if we get named streets and housenumbers :lol: stoneage stuff

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:10 pm

Haha! When we first moved to Crete we lived on a named street (although our house wasn’t numbered). The street is the Main Street from the village square which takes you up to the ruins of Aptera. A few months after moving in, when sitting in a taverna in the village square a local asked where we lived and I told them, “Kelaidi Street”. He said, “where? I don’t know that street”. It’s just not the way of Crete :D
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:24 pm

In towns and cities most houses are on named streets with house numbers. What's the point in a village? Within ten minutes of moving in everybody in the area knows who you are, where you live, how much you earn, how much you paid for your house etc.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:32 pm

:lol: absolutely !

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:09 pm

I should have added that if there is any piece of information they don't know they won't hesitate to ask.

Warwick

Cake

Postby Cake » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 pm

The point is to get the mail in your mailbox and packages at the door. :)

Just wonder how hard hard it is to give a street a name and numbers to houses. There is a problem if a new house is being build in between 2 other houses. But other countries have same issues so i guess its no problem.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:23 pm

I get mail delivered to my own mailbox mounted on my gate pillar without having a street name or number. My previous post was not a joke. If you are in a village they don't need a street name and number to know where you are. They know everything about you.

It all depends where you are. I am in the village where the post office is located and everybody inside the village boundary, plus a few who are just outside, get mail delivered to their houses. In neighbouring villages served by the same post office everybody on the main street of the village get mail delivered to their houses but those away from the main street get it put in a rack of blue boxes on the main street. Small parcels that will fit in the post box may be brought to the house but failing that a blue slip telling you that there is a package at the post office is left in our mailboxes. I would rather that than have the postie hurl it over a fence if you happen to be out or leave it on the step. When I lived in a town in northern Greece we all had street names and house numbers but they still put a slip of paper in the mail box to tell you there was a package to collect.

Warwick

PS Strictly speaking my mailbox is not on my gate pillar it is on my neighbours wall but that was my choice to put it there to make it easier for the postie. Many many years ago I used to do Christmas post so I am all in favour of making the postie's life easier.

shine on

Postby shine on » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:28 pm

Has anyone had up to date post from the uk yet? Some local folk say that post is not coming or going to uk, but someone else said ELTA is running as normal?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 pm

I had post from the UK last week. I rarely get any so I can't give you an absolutely up-to-date status. If the virus did contaminate a letter or parcel in the UK it would be dead long before it reached Greece.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:30 pm

We’re getting post via Kalyves and our post sent from Kalyves and Souda is arriving in the UK.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Kilkis wrote:Within ten minutes of moving in everybody in the area knows who you are, where you live, how much you earn, how much you paid for your house etc.
Warwick

Oh come on, Warwick. Most would know all that before you got into the village, especially the bit about the house price. When we first visited our house here I'd got as far as the gate and a man opposite and 30m along the road yelled, "Are you Phil......? "Yes." There's some post for you at the kafeneio. It'll be in a cardboard box on the ice cream fridge ............ or on the floor behind it; if you don't see it in the box just pull the fridge away from the wall."
When we sold the house to an Athenian family six years later I called at the kafeneio on my way home from the notary's office and one of the locals announced, "You could have got more for your house; didn't you know he's a millionaire? He knew the price to the Euro.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:30 pm

I was being conservative.

Warwick

PS I don't usually write a sentence like that so would everybody please note the lower case "c".

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:02 am

Nice one Warwick! Reminds me of my dad, he always used to qualify, ‘note the small c’

Return to “Chatter”