Kalyves Post Office

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Kalyves Post Office

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:12 am

I got two letters from the UK yesterday so UK post is still arriving. No post mark so I cannot tell when they were posted. One is dated 25 March but I wouldn't assume it was posted immediately. I would guess that the lag between it being produced and being actually put in the mail wouldn't be too long so it does suggest that things are taking longer to get here.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:38 am

I previously wrote:
Kilkis wrote:...As far as I can tell everybody working in the financial sector is both illiterate and enumerate.

Warwick

One of the letters I got yesterday, referred to in the previous post, was from a pension provider certifying how much I was paid from 01/01/2019 to 31/12/2019. At first glance it looked perfect, exactly what I had asked for. It was on official headed notepaper, it had my name and my payroll reference. It had a clear simple statement saying the period, the amount I was paid and that no UK tax was deducted. It had the name of the issuing official, his position and it was signed by that person, not pp. Unfortunately, on closer inspection, it turned out that he had added up the payments made from April to December, leaving out the January, February and March payments.

I rest my case.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:26 pm

Courier services seem to be very efficiently currently - well, DHL is. I ordered a couple of items from Amazon UK on 9th April, despatched by Amazon on 14th with an estimated deliver of 21st April. The package arrived at the front door mid afternoon today (16th) via Wroclaw (where it arrived at 16:56 on Tuesday), Leipzig and Athens.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:45 am

As there are still no direct passenger flights between Athens and anywhere in the UK I an only assume your UK letters have been swanning around various bits of Europe before arriving. That would be typical of anything from HMRC, Pension Providers including Civil service pensions etc. We have seen no 'private/personal' stuff from the UK. It will take some time for things to get through when flights resume (if they do) in May. Couriers had different arrangements, especially DHL who have their own fleet of aircraft.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:38 am

As far as I know freight is still flying Bob. Mine were standard Royal Mail letters and I am not sure what method Royal Mail uses to get letters to countries like Greece.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Big surprise yesterday in Kokkino Horio. Our postman (who was due to be sacked yesterday but now has a 6-month reprieve) turned up with a whole bundle of UK-generated post, including parcels, some relatively recently posted. Mystery, but a welcome one. Don't know if he can repeat the trick again next week or not!

Bob.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:16 pm

I was in Vrises P.O. yesterday to post a package. Kostas, the Vamos postie, handed me a bundle of mail and asked me to deliver it to Kefalas INKA, since I'd be passing! (I did so.)

I received packages from the UK in that delivery and also two other packages, two days previously. So UK mail is definitely still being delivered but it seems to be delayed by a week or more.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:06 pm

SatCure wrote:.......... So UK mail is definitely still being delivered but it seems to be delayed by a week or more.

I can confirm that post from the UK is arriving in Kalyves but delayed by a bit more than a week. Yesterday I received a "funds deposited" notice from Santander in UK. It is dated 25 March 2020 so one day short of a calendar month in transit. That gives me some idea of how long I could be waiting for a soon to expire debit card. Santander e-mailed me on 17 April informing me that the new card had been despatched and overseas delivery should take 5-7 days. I might start to be a tad concerned by about May 16th if it hasn't arrived by then.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. All makes me wonder what is happening in Vrysses then. Still nothing.

Re Santander Phil, at least they have sent you a replacement card unlike the fiasco a few years ago. Good news. Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon May 11, 2020 6:11 pm

For the record, the last three deliveries have included UK-originated post to Kokkino Horio. Question to Royal Mail has so far elicited nothing, after 8 days. Bob

Return to “Chatter”