Phishing

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
bobscott

Phishing

Postby bobscott » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:30 pm

In the last 3 days we have had phone calls purporting to come from Microsoft and talking about warning messages from our pc to Microsoft HQ. Obviously a scam and we have politely put the phone down. This is just a 'heads up' to let other forum readers know that this is currently going on and to be aware that it is likely to be a SCAM. Give them NO DETAILS - just find a polite way to tell them to b****r off!
Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Re: Phishing

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm

The sort of air horns that people use at football matches work quite well as long as you are sure it is a scam.

Often these calls identify as foreign numbers. I have had calls today from Romania and Germany to my landline and one from Italy to my mobile.

If you do respond to them they will get you to look at the Windows error report log, which will be full of errors of various sorts as it always is. Each time you read out a message to them you will get shocked response, the PC equivalent of a plumber sucking his teeth. They will tell you that these reports demonstrate that there are very serious faults on your machine and if you don't get them fixed your machine will become totally useless in a matter of days. They then get you to load an App that will give them access to your machine so they can fix the problems. Once they have access they will load up lots of malware and spyware that really will screw up your machine. They will demand payment to fix it and also leave key loggers on your machine that will log and send to them all your IDs and passwords for things like bank accounts.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Never had a call like this ...but if I did I think I would say ..."wait one moment and I put you through to our IT department" ....then find something very important to do in the garden ...

Maud

Postby Maud » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:14 pm

I always say....

“Thank you for ringing......but we don’t have a computer.”

They always put the ‘phone down on me immediately.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:43 pm

Maud wrote:I always say....

“Thank you for ringing......but we don’t have a computer.”

They always put the ‘phone down on me immediately.

This morning I told them I was using an Apple Mac. That ended the call immediately! Bob

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:29 pm

bobscott wrote:...This morning I told them I was using an Apple Mac. That ended the call immediately! Bob

Because nobody wants to talk to someone who uses an Apple Mac?

Warwick

PS Sorry Martin, the devil made me write it.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Kilkis wrote:
bobscott wrote:...This morning I told them I was using an Apple Mac. That ended the call immediately! Bob

Because nobody wants to talk to someone who uses an Apple Mac?

Warwick

PS Sorry Martin, the devil made me write it.

No, just because I am using a pc which they claim to have the number for. I am assuming that the number they hold won't match something tied to an Apple mac.

Maybe I will use the 'Hold the line whilst I connect you with my IT department' routine. Then hang up. That should be fun. Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:02 pm

If you've got VLC, for playing videos and music, you could get a short clip of music, e.g. Green Sleeves, and record a message on the end such as, "Your call is important to us, please hold while I connect you to one of our IT staff." You can then set VLC to play it on a continuous loop, put the phone down next to your PC speakers and go and make a drink.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Kilkis wrote:If you've got VLC, for playing videos and music, you could get a short clip of music, e.g. Green Sleeves, and record a message on the end such as, "Your call is important to us, please hold while I connect you to one of our IT staff." You can then set VLC to play it on a continuous loop, put the phone down next to your PC speakers and go and make a drink.

Warwick

Like it! Our local minimarket bloke (Greek) is getting the same pestering phone calls (so are we). Wonder if they have hacked something at microsoft, or perhaps COSMOTE?

Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:00 pm

The Microsoft scam has been going on for a long time so I don't think it is any particular hack.

I think these things go in phases. Yahoo was hacked as early as 2010, earlier than they admit to. People's address books were stolen allowing spammers to send you emails apparently coming from somebody you know. If you look carefully at the address you will see that the front end is the same as the person you know but the back end is completely different. The email normally contains a link to a web page and not much else, perhaps "Hi Warwick" and "Cheers Fred Blogs". The aim is to trick you into clicking on the link because you think a friend has sent it to you. Typically I get dozens of these over a fairly short period of time apparently from friends with Yahoo or BTInternet addresses, since they were hosted by Yahoo. Then I get nothing for months but eventually they start again. I think the Microsoft scam follows a similar pattern.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:27 pm

I got a Microsoft scam phone call years ago when they were going around from a man with an African accent. I said but I've got an Apple laptop (which I have) and the scammer obviously thought I was lying and got a bit grumpy!!!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:46 am

Yes I had a Microsoft call this morning ...Youngish male with a slight American accent ...he asked if I spoke English ..I replied yes I do ..then he started the " I am phoning from Microsoft "...I interrupted him with "Wait two mins I think you need to speak to our IT dept" and left the phone on the window sill ....when I went back he had hung up ...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Yes I had a Microsoft call this morning ...Youngish male with a slight American accent ...he asked if I spoke English ..I replied yes I do ..then he started the " I am phoning from Microsoft "...I interrupted him with "Wait two mins I think you need to speak to our IT dept" and left the phone on the window sill ....when I went back he had hung up ...

Three times lately we have picked up the phone and said 'Hello'. Immediately the other party cut the connection! Incidentally, it has happened to both of us!! Bob.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:37 pm

I don't think they're cutting the connection, Bob. I believe it's a computer phoning you and it phones dozens (hundreds?) of numbers simultaneously. First to pick up draws the short straw - all the others stop ringing. It's quite efficient from the phisher's point of view. If I get a call from a number I don't recognise, I let it ring for a bit. It usually stops within 20 seconds.

Tim

altohb

Postby altohb » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:17 pm

We've had several to our landline lately; some "originating" in the Netherlands, some in Germany, some in Greece. All cut off, apart from the last one which purported to be doing some sort of EU survey!

Return to “Chatter”