Any hardware stores doing home deliveries?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
OurManInChania

Any hardware stores doing home deliveries?

Postby OurManInChania » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 am

Hi to all , I am new to this forum and Chania. Getting a bit bored with the lockdown and there a few jobs to do in our new home ? Does anyone know if any stores in Chania are doing home deliveries? I need out door anti rust paint ,white spirit ,sand paper, brushes and roof sealant? I am in the Kalamakai ,Kato Galatas area.Should I risk a car journey? Are any stores open? Keith .

YoMo2

Re: Any hardware stores doing home deliveries?

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:42 am

It may vary, but my experience here in the Ag Nik area is that they are open for trade customers only. My local shop tells me that is what his accountant told him. No retail customers allowed.

Having said that, I managed to make my purchase by banging on the locked door and giving the secret password..... He does know me. :)

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:12 am

I've not tried to go and buy anything like that but as far as I know they are only open for trade customers, as Andrew posted. A friend had an electrical fault, after the lockdown started, and an electrician did come to his house, diagnose the problem to a faulty socket and was able to get a replacement socket the next day and come and fit it so tradesmen are getting access to supplies they need.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm

My car is in need of a mechanical repair - replacement of brake discs and pads - advised after a pre-KTEO check. The dealer's workshop is (legitimately) open and, having acquired the necessary components, the owner has informed me that the work can be done tomorrow (Friday). According to him the correct category of permission is #2 - purchase of essential items that cannot be delivered or obtained online.

The dealer reckons the work will take three hours. My question is not simply can I take the car to Dealer Alley along Souda Avenue but:
a.) Do I drive to the garage, go home by taxi and return when the dealer lets me know the repairs are complete or
b.) Do I take the car in then try to make myself inconspicuous for three hours somewhere I can avoid contact with people?

If it happens to be p***ing with rain I'll opt for two taxi rides despite the cost.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:01 pm

filippos wrote:My car is in need of a mechanical repair - replacement of brake discs and pads - advised after a pre-KTEO check. The dealer's workshop is (legitimately) open and, having acquired the necessary components, the owner has informed me that the work can be done tomorrow (Friday). According to him the correct category of permission is #2 - purchase of essential items that cannot be delivered or obtained online.

The dealer reckons the work will take three hours. My question is not simply can I take the car to Dealer Alley along Souda Avenue but:
a.) Do I drive to the garage, go home by taxi and return when the dealer lets me know the repairs are complete or
b.) Do I take the car in then try to make myself inconspicuous for three hours somewhere I can avoid contact with people?

If it happens to be p***ing with rain I'll opt for two taxi rides despite the cost.

If it's NOT raining Phil, you could always walk into town, gaze longingly at a few coffee shops and then walk back. Think of it as item 6 on the permissions paper!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 pm

Looking at the weather report I usually use, there could be some rain during the night but it should have eased off by tomorrow morning. Due to start again late on Saturday evening and then continue through to Wednesday. It shows it as almost continuous throughout that period but looking at the total amounts predicted and given the time of year I would expect it to be more intermittent.

I can't answer your question but, thinking about it logically, if you are out and about for three hours on item 6, if you happen to get stopped near the end of that period I think they might frown a bit at the length of the exercise? There again, if you get in a taxi who knows who sat in it before you?

Warwick

margarita

Postby margarita » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:16 pm

Kilkis wrote:There again, if you get in a taxi who knows who sat in it before you?

Warwick

It's OK, Warwick, he'll be wearing a full haz mat suit!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:50 pm

Now that I would like to see. There is a guy around our village who goes out on a quad bike, with a huge tank attached, spraying trees. He wears a sort of rubber version of an old fashioned diving suit with what looks like an inverted goldfish bowl over his head attached to the neck of the suit. I can just visualise Filippos in that.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:16 pm

Kilkis wrote:Now that I would like to see. ......... He wears a sort of rubber version of an old fashioned diving suit with what looks like an inverted goldfish bowl over his head attached to the neck of the suit. I can just visualise Filippos in that. Warwick

I can also visualise the spectre, Warwick and that's why you will never have the opportunity to turn the visualisation into reality.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:39 pm

filippos wrote:My car is in need of a mechanical repair................permission is #2 - purchase of essential items that cannot be delivered or obtained online.
The dealer reckons the work will take three hours. ......................
a.) Do I drive to the garage, go home by taxi and return ..... or
b.) Do I take the car in then try to make myself inconspicuous for three hours .......

Decision was made easy. Prepared my paper permit and set off at 09:00. A few moments of tension half way along the coned-off bit of highway approaching Aptera junction from which a police car emerged and turned towards Xania just ahead of me ...... all the way to the main Souda junction and down the exit road to the junction with Souda Ave (where he stopped alongside a mate parked in the middle because 50m along Souda Ave the road is closed in both directions. Had to re-route to far end of Souda Ave.

Eventually arrived at dealership where dealer greets me from a distance then, "It will be about three hours. Are you going home or would you rather to wait here? There's a comfortable sofa, TV with remote and wi-fi." I opted to stay and was promptly supplied with coffee then read a fair chunk of novel on Kindle. Bit of a roundabout route to get home but without interception by astynomia.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:58 pm

filippos wrote:
filippos wrote:My car is in need of a mechanical repair................permission is #2 - purchase of essential items that cannot be delivered or obtained online.
The dealer reckons the work will take three hours. ......................
a.) Do I drive to the garage, go home by taxi and return ..... or
b.) Do I take the car in then try to make myself inconspicuous for three hours .......

Decision was made easy. Prepared my paper permit and set off at 09:00. A few moments of tension half way along the coned-off bit of highway approaching Aptera junction from which a police car emerged and turned towards Xania just ahead of me ...... all the way to the main Souda junction and down the exit road to the junction with Souda Ave (where he stopped alongside a mate parked in the middle because 50m along Souda Ave the road is closed in both directions. Had to re-route to far end of Souda Ave.

Eventually arrived at dealership where dealer greets me from a distance then, "It will be about three hours. Are you going home or would you rather to wait here? There's a comfortable sofa, TV with remote and wi-fi." I opted to stay and was promptly supplied with coffee then read a fair chunk of novel on Kindle. Bit of a roundabout route to get home but without interception by astynomia.

The bad news being you didn't get any exercise Phil. Tut Tut! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:47 pm

bobscott wrote:The bad news being you didn't get any exercise Phil. Tut Tut! Bob.
I didn't use the SMS service but took a fully completed form. I saw nobody on my eight metres walk to the car. I travelled alone and wasn't stopped on the journey in either direction so about 16:00 sent an SMS notifying that I was taking a walk for exercise and went out.

In any case exercise at home is easy enough to organise. Squats, press-ups, tricep dips, use a couple of bags with bottles of water in as weights for lifting, run on the spot, stack a few bricks for step-ups ............... THEN send the SMS message for an exercise walk and stroll for ½ an hour to cool down.

What was that, Bob? No, me neither.

Phil.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:22 pm

I find pouring another Gin and Tonic perfectly adequate exercise. Some days I really increase the burn by walking into the garden to pick another lemon.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”