Let's Talk About Beer …....

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
footscapes

Let's Talk About Beer …....

Postby footscapes » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:52 pm

…. or, more accurately, about brewing.

I stopped by LIC the other day and read in another thread some wistful comments from more than one of you about getting a decent pint of ale. Have you never considered brewing your own?

Since leaving Crete, I've got into brewing in a big way. I'm fairly confident it would work equally well in Crete, and I was pleasantly surprised to find a brew shop in Greece for supplies. (Although I think that using Crete Express and a UK supplier would bring you a wider choice of beers and at a similar cost).

Economics/logistics as follows:

I've just ordered 7 beer kits from my own brew shop of choice. 7 kits will deliver approx. 275 half litre bottles of beer. The cost of my 7 kits, plus secondary fermentation sugar drops, plus sterilising chemicals was approximately €195. This is all the ingredients/extras you would need to make the beer. My existing stock of 6 kits stacked together measures less than 1 cubic foot. If I've understood Crete Express correctly, anything up to 3 cu. feet is a flat £35 delivery fee. Lets say €240 all up for your 275 bottles – less than a Euro apiece. (And you've had the fun of brewing it – something I really quite enjoy). Note that you will be limited to 7 or 8 kits at most or you will breach courier weight limits in the UK. If you're buying that much in one order, most UK brew shops will offer free delivery within the UK – presumably that would include to the Nomad depot.

Obviously, you would need to make a one-off purchase of brewing equipment and bottles – from the Greek brew shop, their “comprehensive” brewing kit + 100 bottles would be just under €100. My kit is now 5 years old, used extensively, and I haven't had to replace anything so far.

The quality of modern beer kits is astonishing. Those of you of a similar vintage to me might also remember the old style kits that I used to brew in my bedroom as a pimply teenager. They delivered something foul tasting that looked like swamp water, but it did the job of supplying you with illicit booze. The kits of today deliver a pint that's not far off pub quality - honestly. I usually order a few kits of brews I know I enjoy plus one or two new ones to try. I've just sampled a pint of St Peter's Stout, a new brew to me last time out, and it was fabulous. I note that they sell the same kit in the Greek brew shop for only about €5 more than I'm paying.

Reviews of some of the brews I enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_zCuJtSfoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBEjg_WIn5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKLVkRSvNPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SvDmYaksmY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI68TKv7Sxw

https://www.geterbrewed.ie/beer-kits/
is my brew shop of choice and will give you an idea of what beers you can get. I'm a huge fan of Woodforde's, St Peter's and some of the Munton kits. You will find several mainland UK brew shops offering the same kits for delivery to the Nomad depot.

Your local brew shop in Greece is:
https://www.beeramatistirio.gr/

A longish post, not one mention of v**us or l**k**wn and typed while enjoying a lovely pint of Woodforde's Admiral's Reserve. If anyone does take the leap into brewing – report back!

Sláinte
Paul

Kilkis

Re: Let's Talk About Beer …....

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Several years ago I watched a TV programme about various UK ex-pats who had relocated to Cyprus, a bit like the recent one where some had come to live on Crete. In it were a couple of East End likely lads who had opened a pie and mash shop in Larnaka. They discovered another ex-pat in the area who had been head brewer for Moorhouse's Brewery before he retired. He got permission from the brewery to make Pendle Witches Brew on Cyprus and sell it in the pie and mash shop. Went down a storm with ex-pat and Cypriot customers alike.

I used to brew my own beer back in the 60s and 70s but I am not sure I want to go back in time. I also used to do all my own car repairs, DIY round the house, decorating etc. Now I'm happy to pay someone to do it.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Kilkis wrote:I used to brew my own beer back in the 60s and 70s but I am not sure I want to go back in time. I also used to do all my own car repairs, DIY round the house, decorating etc. Now I'm happy to pay someone to do it. Warwick

I'm with you, Boo-boo

footscapes

Postby footscapes » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:03 pm

Kilkis wrote: ......... Now I'm happy to pay someone to do it.

Warwick

Things must have changed considerably in the last 5 years on the supply side of beery comestibles in Crete for that to be practical. When I was last there, just one shop in Rethymno sold "ale". Supplies were sporadic, limited ("would sir like Speckled Hen or ....... err, Speckled Hen?") and the prices brought sufficient tears to clear the seafront dust from my eyes. GreenGibble were just starting out in, I think, Litsarda. Have things changed for the better?

Paul

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:18 pm

My "Now I'm happy to pay someone to do it." comment applied to things like "car repairs, DIY round the house, decorating etc." rather than brewing beer. I don't know anybody who would brew real ale for me?

Greengibble now have two outlets, the original in Litsarda and a more recent one in Kalyves. I've been to the former once but not the latter. They clearly didn't design the aisle spacing for the man with the "slightly" fuller figure. They had quite a reasonable selection of real ales and I think they will get stuff specifically for you if you ask, although I have never tried. I think I bought 4 different types the one time I went, Speckled Hen, Abbot, County and one other that I can't remember, and friends who sometimes shop there have bought me some a couple of times. I adapted to the lack of real ale many years ago by switching to wine. I mostly only drink real ale now when I am in the UK. I have friends who frequently get stuff sent via Nomad which they collect from Jon the butcher in Vamos. When he used to sell pork pies I would ask them to get a couple from him plus some Hoola Hoops and real ale from Greengibble. I don't think he sells them any more but I could be wrong. I think they might be available at the infinite number of car boot sales that usually take place around Apokoronou but going to one of those would be a step too far for me. Think sort of eyes and red hot needles as being preferable.

There's a few things I miss from the UK but very little that I feel the urge strong enough to go out of my way to get. Mild French mustard with steak is a must have, Colemans used to make it and you can still get it branded as Asda or Tesco's own brand. I've never seen it here. I buy some when I am in the UK and bring it back with me and my friends sometimes get it shipped with Nomad for me with their usual Red Cross parcel. I have hit one very major problem if anybody has a solution. I have been using Ingram's shaving cream for over 50 years and suddenly it has vanished. I used to buy a dozen or so tubes when I went back to the UK but the last time I went I couldn't get any. Ebay have something that looks the same from Egypt but I am not convinced.

Warwick

PS Before anybody tells me that there are millions of different mustards for sale here including hundreds of different French ones I am fully aware of that. I scan the shelves whenever I go to the supermarket. None of them are the type I mean.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:17 am

Fascinating topic. Just going to nip to the store cupboard and 'release' a couple of cans of John Smith's Smooth Tadcaster for later! X Specky Hen the next time perhaps. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:22 am

Kilkis wrote:Greengibble now have two outlets, the original in Litsarda and a more recent one in Kalyves. I've been to the former once but not the latter. They clearly didn't design the aisle spacing for the man with the "slightly" fuller figure............

I haven't been to either but 'Er Indoors has been three or four times to the Kalyves shop. After the first visit there were comments about the narrowness of the aisles and arrived home muttering about how the space at the rear of the shop is now even more constricted. Sorry to say, Warwick, that you will definitely not fit.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:26 am

I guessed it would be as least as bad as the Litsarda one, Filippos. I think the only way they could obey the social distancing rules would be to allow one person at a time into the shop.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:00 pm

That's about in line with the number I've seen even before the virus upset.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:23 pm

I can confirm that Greengibble at Litsarda will take orders and do their best to bring them on the next trip from the UK. It used to be monthly but I don't know what's happening currently.

Return to “Chatter”