Cars

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
latsida

Postby latsida » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Jaguar cars-yes, once upon a time many years ago, I drove a beautiful Jaguar Daimler Sovereign,two petrol tanks about 7 miles to the gallon(what was that!!!) about town ,sun roof and it was white with a black roof,walnut dash and lovely red velour seating, fantastic. happy days. :)

allan

Postby allan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks latsida for bringing back the memories of the the Cats I owned in the UK.

If anybody is considering bringing such a car over here to Crete, as I did, think twice.

The only road I could ever use her on would be the National , imagine going into Kalives or Chania with the humps, bumps, pot holes and parking spaces, never, look at the dents on the cars here and imagine having to replace a rear panel an an XJS.

For those with money who are considering moving here( IMHO) get a large 4 x 4 MPV then you can go anywhere without fear of damaging the underbody

Ok you will have to pay more Road Tax ,depending on the CC, but the Diahtasu Terios is a very popular 4x4 in Greece and a reasonable price as 4 x 4 goes.

(Disclaimer etc etc don`t work for them)

latsida

Postby latsida » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:40 pm

A few months ago there was a Jaguar for sale in Neapoli. the colour was British Racing Green and it was very beautiful. thought about it but never had the nerve to go in the showroom and ask the price.think its now been sold :roll:

allan

Postby allan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:41 pm

Thats Diahatsu senile moment.

latsida

Postby latsida » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:44 pm

I also had a Ferrari , but that is another story 8)

allan

Postby allan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Only seen 1 elderly Jaguar here in Crete, a black 420g Saloon, in need of serious restoration but running never the less, from the 1960/70 era.

Seen many S types with Iraklio plates but they are only fake cats based on the Ford Mondeo .

Again I say a 4 x 4 is the best bet here in Crete.

latsida

Postby latsida » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:29 pm

agree definitely, a couple of my friends have the diahatsu terios.
but if you want to dream go to www.jaguar.gr The roads are not too bad here in the east of the island but how to get round the small villages in a Jaguar without mishap would be difficult.
Have heard of someone who is locating to Heraklio and intends to start a stretch limo hire service for weddings etc. how they will maneuver the narrow roads and tight bends in the villages is yet to be seen :roll:

allan

Postby allan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Cannot believe they havn`t done their home work first??

Stretch Limo in Crete, ok try it,

Seen a Humvee here in Chania, ugly beast, and he had problems negotiating the small roads and took up more space than the three locals in their Mazda 323 plus the old babas on his Honda 50.

Here in Crete we have no problems parking,....I want to go into this shop here on my left, so I leave my car in the middle of the road , block the rest of the traffic passing and wait for the policeman to blow his whistle who happens to be a friend of a relative of my long lost Uncle who now lives in Thesssaloniki,

Yassas Moromou, isa Kala, says the Policeman,

olla kala.

isos provlioma dromas????

ochi

Yassas.....

latsida

Postby latsida » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 am

Sadly the patron and founder of TVR cars Trevor Wilkinson died today,he was 85 years old.
Many years ago there was a TVR dealership in my home town of Poole in Dorset.Their design and performance was truly suburb, and a great tribute to the engineers and craftsmen and women of this very British sports car.

jeansy

jags

Postby jeansy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Fullt agree with the Jag side of the discussion, owned an xj6 and a 420 g, the idea of a Jag here in my village would be hilarious trying to get it over the holes in the road and past the abandoned pick ups ( sorry meant parked ) :oops: As for the TVR well looks good sounds good handles like a cross channel ferry, on the highway it would probably last 3 bends then get it's tyres wet in the sea.
Now a Morgan +8 :D I owned a Jensen Interceptor in the 80's beautiful to look at but had to carry a bag of cement in the boot to keep it on the road when the damn thing was'nt broke due to the worst wiring system ever fitted to a car.
Now it's a Mitsubushi pajero, as it does not ground out every time I go to work.

allan

Postby allan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:08 pm

Sorry Jeansy, the worst ever wiring and electrical system was fitted to....guess what the Jaguar XJS V12 .

Return to “Chatter”