Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
filippos
Posts: 5833
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby filippos » Tue May 05, 2020 9:08 pm

I've done the camera trick several times. The first was during our second holiday in Crete (1996) and our first in Kalyves. We parked in the area behind Mythos and wandered off for a look round, stopped off for coffee then decided to have lunch. About four hours later as we were heading back to the car Maggie said, "Have you left your camera in the taverna." I panicked momentarily then remembered I'd left left the camera in the car. When the car came within sight I tried to remain nonchalant as M asked, "Did you lock the car and forget to close the windows?" "Oh sh......!" The (moderately expensive) camera was still there, in full view on the driver's seat.

Kilkis
Posts: 11644
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby Kilkis » Tue May 05, 2020 11:21 pm

filippos wrote:...The (moderately expensive) camera was still there, in full view on the driver's seat.


I think Filippos' notion of "moderately expensive" is very different from mine. I know the sort of camera and lenses he uses. Fair enough, it isn't a Hasselblad H6D but it certainly isn't a Sony compact either.

Warwick

OurManInChania
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:47 pm

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby OurManInChania » Wed May 06, 2020 12:53 am

Kamisiana wrote:
Kilkis wrote:
OurManInChania wrote:...You think I don't know this already? Not really a very helpful or informative reply thank you!


Then why make the comment "We thought Crete was better than this!" It implies that you think there are no criminals on Crete. Either you know there are, in which case why are you surprised that someone robbed you, or you think there aren't, in which case it was an informative reply, i.e. there are.

You ask, "Is it worth going to the police?" Are your olive trees insured? If so it is worth going to the police to get a crime number that you can give to your insurance company. Do the trees have any unique identification marks that would allow the police to return them to you if they happened to find them? If so it is worth going to the police to give them a description of the identifying marks. Do you think it is your civic duty to report a crime to the police in the hope that it might get the criminals caught and stop other people being robbed? If so it is worth going to the police. Do you think going to the police will get your property back and/or prevent more of your property being stolen? If so it is probably not worth going to the police.

All over the world people are robbed, mugged, raped and murdered. I am sure that the incidence of such crimes is lower in Crete than in the Baltimore projects or the Sao Paulo favelas but that doesn't mean it won't happen to you. In my area I know of people who have been murdered in their home and people who have been tortured to open a safe. I know personally people whose house was broken into and all their cash and jewellery stolen. After that they were so frightened they daren't leave the house unless someone came and house sat and in the end returned to the UK.

Warwick

PS I wouldn't recommend buckshot. It is pretty lethal, although not as lethal as a slug, and you don't really want to spend 15 years in a Greek jail for the sake of some olive trees. Birdshot would be safer if you intend to shoot the robbers at relatively long range or, if you think you might shoot them at shorter range, I would suggest rock-salt. I'm told it is immensely painful but unlikely to kill.

PPS I suspect that a CCTV camera is more valuable than the olive trunks so they will probably steal that if you install one.


And today's word " Patronizing" :P

Yes there's one on every forum that thinks they are better!! Circling like a vulture ready to swoop, 'cos they got nothing better to do all day long!Very patronizing and know it all this man is indeed!
Last edited by OurManInChania on Wed May 06, 2020 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

OurManInChania
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:47 pm

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby OurManInChania » Wed May 06, 2020 1:01 am

Kilkis wrote:
OurManInChania wrote:...You think I don't know this already? Not really a very helpful or informative reply thank you!


Then why make the comment "We thought Crete was better than this!" It implies that you think there are no criminals on Crete. Either you know there are, in which case why are you surprised that someone robbed you, or you think there aren't, in which case it was an informative reply, i.e. there are.

You ask, "Is it worth going to the police?" Are your olive trees insured? If so it is worth going to the police to get a crime number that you can give to your insurance company. Do the trees have any unique identification marks that would allow the police to return them to you if they happened to find them? If so it is worth going to the police to give them a description of the identifying marks. Do you think it is your civic duty to report a crime to the police in the hope that it might get the criminals caught and stop other people being robbed? If so it is worth going to the police. Do you think going to the police will get your property back and/or prevent more of your property being stolen? If so it is probably not worth going to the police.

All over the world people are robbed, mugged, raped and murdered. I am sure that the incidence of such crimes is lower in Crete than in the Baltimore projects or the Sao Paulo favelas but that doesn't mean it won't happen to you. In my area I know of people who have been murdered in their home and people who have been tortured to open a safe. I know personally people whose house was broken into and all their cash and jewellery stolen. After that they were so frightened they daren't leave the house unless someone came and house sat and in the end returned to the UK.

Warwick

PS I wouldn't recommend buckshot. It is pretty lethal, although not as lethal as a slug, and you don't really want to spend 15 years in a Greek jail for the sake of some olive trees. Birdshot would be safer if you intend to shoot the robbers at relatively long range or, if you think you might shoot them at shorter range, I would suggest rock-salt. I'm told it is immensely painful but unlikely to kill.

PPS I suspect that a CCTV camera is more valuable than the olive trunks so they will probably steal that if you install one.

Patronizing is quite correct .You think criminals will search 950 trees to see if there's a camera there? Especially at night! Ever heard of a camflouged or pin hole cameras? You are not as clever as you make out matey!

OurManInChania
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:47 pm

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby OurManInChania » Wed May 06, 2020 1:09 am

filippos wrote:I've done the camera trick several times. The first was during our second holiday in Crete (1996) and our first in Kalyves. We parked in the area behind Mythos and wandered off for a look round, stopped off for coffee then decided to have lunch. About four hours later as we were heading back to the car Maggie said, "Have you left your camera in the taverna." I panicked momentarily then remembered I'd left left the camera in the car. When the car came within sight I tried to remain nonchalant as M asked, "Did you lock the car and forget to close the windows?" "Oh sh......!" The (moderately expensive) camera was still there, in full view on the driver's seat.

Are you English? I find the English pretty thick in Crete! Especially the ones that go in that irish bar ,Paddy McGinty's ,Geogreoupoli of an evening! Even more so the ones that go on a saturday for that pie and beer and music etc!! I sit there laughing at them when I go in there!

Jean
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:39 pm
Location: West Crete
Contact:

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby Jean » Wed May 06, 2020 3:25 am

Do we have a new troll in own?

YoMo2
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby YoMo2 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:36 am

Jean wrote:Do we have a new troll in town?


A fairly unsubtle one, it seems.

Andrew

paul g
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Nr. Kato Gouves

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby paul g » Wed May 06, 2020 8:29 am

I'm English, what is your nationality OurManInChania?

filippos
Posts: 5833
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby filippos » Wed May 06, 2020 9:05 am

Kilkis wrote:
filippos wrote:...The (moderately expensive) camera was still there, in full view on the driver's seat.


I think Filippos' notion of "moderately expensive" is very different from mine. .......
That was back then Warwick, a film SLR. I can't remember what it cost but it was certainly (well?) under £500 so "moderately expensive" is a fair description. The camera I would love to own now I can't afford as even without a lens it's about 13 times the price of the one I was lucky not to lose. Even if I could afford it I couldn't justify buying it.

filippos
Posts: 5833
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby filippos » Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 am

OurManInChania wrote:
filippos wrote:I've done the camera trick several times. The first was during our second holiday in Crete (1996)... ...
Are you English? I find the English pretty thick in Crete! Especially the ones that go in that irish bar ,Paddy McGinty's ,Geogreoupoli of an evening! Even more so the ones that go on a saturday for that pie and beer and music etc!! I sit there laughing at them when I go in there!

I went to McGinty's on the opening day (the owner and his wife are friends) and have visited Giorgioupoli maybe 20 times in 19 years living here. I don't publicly criticise others but I have a couple of questions for you.
Are you bloody rude to everyone?
Are you English? The way you write the language suggests that you are not.

Kilkis
Posts: 11644
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 06, 2020 9:35 am

If you ask a question you will usually get answers, OurManInChania. Pick the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't. It's not rocket science.

Warwick

margarita
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Kalyves area

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby margarita » Wed May 06, 2020 10:18 am

OurManInChania wrote:Are you English? I find the English pretty thick in Crete! Especially the ones that go in that irish bar ,Paddy McGinty's ,Geogreoupoli of an evening! Even more so the ones that go on a saturday for that pie and beer and music etc!! I sit there laughing at them when I go in there!


At least we know to use a capital letter for the days of the week & Irish and we know how to spell Georgioupoli.

With regards to your stolen wood - did it never occur to you that a lot of people here have lost a lot of their income in recent weeks. At the probable time of your theft the weather was not terribly warm especially in the evenings. Maybe someone needed wood to keep warm and couldn't afford it.

Kamisiana
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby Kamisiana » Wed May 06, 2020 10:48 am

margarita wrote:
OurManInChania wrote:Are you English? I find the English pretty thick in Crete! Especially the ones that go in that irish bar ,Paddy McGinty's ,Geogreoupoli of an evening! Even more so the ones that go on a saturday for that pie and beer and music etc!! I sit there laughing at them when I go in there!


At least we know to use a capital letter for the days of the week & Irish and we know how to spell Georgioupoli.

With regards to your stolen wood - did it never occur to you that a lot of people here have lost a lot of their income in recent weeks. At the probable time of your theft the weather was not terribly warm especially in the evenings. Maybe someone needed wood to keep warm and couldn't afford it.


Apparently armed robbery is becoming popular as many have lost their income, and now everyone is wearing a mask the police are turning a blind eye.

thebigbluecheese
Posts: 390
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 am

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby thebigbluecheese » Wed May 06, 2020 11:07 am

OurManInChania wrote:
filippos wrote:I've done the camera trick several times. The first was during our second holiday in Crete (1996) and our first in Kalyves. We parked in the area behind Mythos and wandered off for a look round, stopped off for coffee then decided to have lunch. About four hours later as we were heading back to the car Maggie said, "Have you left your
Are you English? I find the English pretty thick in Crete! Especially the ones that go in that irish bar ,Paddy McGinty's ,Geogreoupoli of an evening! Even more so the ones that go on a saturday for that pie and beer and music etc!! I sit there laughing at them when I go in there!


Ha , I am a regular in Mcgintys.. once the bar opens again I will be taking a keen interest in anyone giggling to themselves in the corner . The only thickness in the place will be the giggling persons ear ...

filippos
Posts: 5833
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby filippos » Wed May 06, 2020 4:10 pm

Paul, in your post above at 12.07 quoting OMiC you first quoted my original post followed by OMiC's response. Unfortunately you ran the two quotes together so it appeared as a single quote that makes it look as though the disparaging comments about McGinty's customers were mine so I've clarified it as below.

thebigbluecheese wrote:
OurManInChania wrote:
filippos wrote:I've done the camera trick several times. The first was during our second holiday in Crete (1996) and our first in Kalyves. We parked in the area behind Mythos and wandered off for a look round, stopped off for coffee then decided to have lunch. About four hours later as we were heading back to the car Maggie said, "Have you left your....
OurManInChania wrote:Are you English? I find the English pretty thick in Crete! Especially the ones that go in that irish bar ,Paddy McGinty's ,Geogreoupoli of an evening! Even more so the ones that go on a saturday for that pie and beer and music etc!! I sit there laughing at them when I go in there!

Ha , I am a regular in Mcgintys.. once the bar opens again I will be taking a keen interest in anyone giggling to themselves in the corner . The only thickness in the place will be the giggling persons ear ...


Return to “Chatter”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest