Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Maud

Re: Theft of wood! Hidden CCTV cameras in our olive trees?

Postby Maud » Wed May 06, 2020 6:59 pm

I think Jean is correct.....in that we have another troll.

I also find it odd that someone comes on here to ask for advice, and then ridicules those who bother to take the time to give it.

If OMiC is not a troll, I am not surprised the Greeks have targeted his olive trees. They are good judges if human nature, and loyal to the people they like. (Local or not). They will have already made a decision re their opinion of OMiC, and acted accordingly!

Finally, OMiC lives in Hania, drinks in Georgioupoli, and has his olive trees in a village outside of the town itself. - He is a very busy person!

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Wed May 06, 2020 8:52 pm

Oops , sorry about that Phil , must be my sausage fingers .... it's a wonder our man in Chania hasn't chastised me for being thick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 06, 2020 10:33 pm

thebigbluecheese wrote:... must be my sausage fingers ...

It's pretty easy to screw up the start and end quote marks when editing a quote down to the bit you want to respond to. Accidentally delete a square bracket and it is no longer recognised. I sympathise. My nickname among my son's friends is "Wozbangers". The first bit from my Christian name and the last bit from the size of my hands.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu May 07, 2020 5:00 pm

thebigbluecheese wrote:Oops , sorry about that Phil , must be my sausage fingers .... it's a wonder our man in Chania hasn't chastised me for being thick
It's OK Paul, many of us have fumble fingers. My son* calls my typing style as 'seek and poke'.

*He's a smartar** While at uni he taught himself to touch type and has done independent tests in which he achieved 58 words/minute with better than 98% accuracy. Several years ago, while visiting, he was at his computer as the light was fading fast. M asked if he wanted the lights turned on. Without missing a beat on the keyboard he looked over his shoulder, "No thanks, I can manage."

OurManInChania

Postby OurManInChania » Fri May 08, 2020 11:27 pm

margarita wrote:
OurManInChania wrote:Are you English? I find the English pretty thick in Crete! Especially the ones that go in that irish bar ,Paddy McGinty's ,Geogreoupoli of an evening! Even more so the ones that go on a saturday for that pie and beer and music etc!! I sit there laughing at them when I go in there!

At least we know to use a capital letter for the days of the week & Irish and we know how to spell Georgioupoli.

With regards to your stolen wood - did it never occur to you that a lot of people here have lost a lot of their income in recent weeks. At the probable time of your theft the weather was not terribly warm especially in the evenings. Maybe someone needed wood to keep warm and couldn't afford it.

Okay we'll email the thieves your address and they can ransack your home ,sell all your furniture,car ,TV ,computer etc etc because they have had no income for the last 8 weeks! But that'll be okay because they needed the money from selling your possesions to buy firewood because they were cold! No? I thought not !! A bloody idiotic comment from a bloody idiot !!
Last edited by OurManInChania on Fri May 08, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OurManInChania

Postby OurManInChania » Fri May 08, 2020 11:47 pm

We've been out to day to look at the rest of our trees and found two totally destroyed !! Cut right down to the stumps with very little chance of recovery !!! Trees that have taken years to grow and nuture plus all the work that's beeen put into them over the years !! We estimate with all the other branches cut we've lost about four to five trees at least! A serious dent in olive oil production Some may grow back yet all we can see on here on this forum is snide, smart arse people sneering and sniping ,arm chair experts who know nothing " oh these people are poor don't ya know !! Invite them to burgle your house then! The best you cretins can come up with is spelling!

OurManInChania

Postby OurManInChania » Fri May 08, 2020 11:54 pm

thebigbluecheese wrote:
OurManInChania wrote:
filippos wrote:I've done the camera trick several times. The first was during our second holiday in Crete (1996) and our first in Kalyves. We parked in the area behind Mythos and wandered off for a look round, stopped off for coffee then decided to have lunch. About four hours later as we were heading back to the car Maggie said, "Have you left your
Are you English? I find the English pretty thick in Crete! Especially the ones that go in that irish bar ,Paddy McGinty's ,Geogreoupoli of an evening! Even more so the ones that go on a saturday for that pie and beer and music etc!! I sit there laughing at them when I go in there!

Ha , I am a regular in Mcgintys.. once the bar opens again I will be taking a keen interest in anyone giggling to themselves in the corner . The only thickness in the place will be the giggling persons ear ...

I'll look forward to it buddy ... seeing you on your back with birds tweeting around your head....and you wondering where you are..

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sat May 09, 2020 7:23 am

@ourmaninchania. I saw your initial question and the sabotage of your trees. I had actually asked two local friends, who also have trees, as to what they would recommend.
I will tell you this instead. The people on this forum are extremely helpful. They know an awful lot about a whole host of topics and are always willing to help answer questions. A lot of people will even spend their own time to source and ask others not on the forum to answer questions; in order to leave no question unanswered.
When you start in the utterly rude manner that you have, people will choose not to help you. If the situation was reversed, would you help someone who is so rude to so many on here?
I realise that you are upset with what has happened to your trees, and I am sorry that has happened to you. Please don’t take it out on the members of this site.

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Sat May 09, 2020 8:26 am

OurManInChania wrote:[[quote="OurManInChania"
I'll look forward to it buddy ... seeing you on your back with birds tweeting around your head....and you wondering where you are..
[/quote]

You obviously don't know me ... be careful where you giggle

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 09, 2020 10:12 am

OurManInChania wrote:...You think criminals will search 950 trees to see if there's a camera there?...

OurManInChania wrote:...We estimate with all the other branches cut we've lost about four to five trees at least! A serious dent in olive oil production...

So 0.5 % to be precise. I'm not sure how you will survive the serious loss.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat May 09, 2020 12:53 pm

I think you set the general tone for many subsequent comments yourself at a fairly early stage after a couple of posts about the inherent honesty of most Cretans. For example:
OurManInChania wrote:
filippos wrote:I've done the camera trick several times. ... ... About four hours later ... ... I panicked momentarily then remembered I'd left left the camera in the car. ... ... The (moderately expensive) camera was still there, in full view on the driver's seat.
Your response?
OurManInChania wrote:Are you English? I find the English pretty thick in Crete! Especially the ones that go in that irish bar ,Paddy McGinty's ,Geogreoupoli of an evening! Even more so the ones that go on a saturday for that pie and beer and music etc!! I sit there laughing at them when I go in there!

A response like that is not likely to endear you to anyone. My comment was not disparaging nor critical of you: it didn't even mention you. More likely is that people will be disinclined to help or advise you in any way. Certainly, you've forfeited any goodwill I might have had and I suspect most forum members will react similarly. What's more you've continued in similar vein.

All in all I think any 'injury' you feel you've suffered on this forum has been self-inflicted.

P.S. Added at approx14:02. Now I see you've decided to be repetitive, repeating parts of this thread on another using copy/paste which is a bit boring. Perhaps you should seek out an anger management course.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat May 09, 2020 2:27 pm

'We've been out to day to look at the rest of our trees and found two totally destroyed !! Cut right down to the stumps with very little chance of recovery !!!'

You obviously know little about olive trees!

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat May 09, 2020 3:58 pm

bobscott wrote:... ... found two totally destroyed !! Cut right down to the stumps with very little chance of recovery !!!'
You obviously know little about olive trees!
Bob.
When we had olives two of our trees looked to be on their last legs. As we lived less than 50m from the olive oil factory I went and asked their advice. "Cut them down through the trunk, below the branches while indicating about waist height. I cut them at about shoulder height. I met the factory owner in the kafeneio a couple of weeks later and he told be I should have cut them to waist height as suggested. When I told him I was worried that might have killed them off completely he laughed and said I could have cut them a close to the ground as I could get the saw and they would regrow.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat May 09, 2020 4:13 pm

Attack on Greek heritage thousands of olive trees chopped down and will take decades to become productive :?

https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/04/07/a ... on-lesvos/

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat May 09, 2020 7:46 pm

Those look wrecked not just cut; many look to have been torn apart. Those I lopped were showing plenty of new growth less than 10 months later and after two years needed the new growth to be pruned quite drastically to direct the 'food' to three or four selected branches that remained. After 5 years they were producing more fruit than before the initial cutting. Had they just been left at their pre-truncating I believe they would have died completely. They weren't in good soil either. They were on a 30°+ rock slope covered by about 5cm of soil. The trees had their main roots growing from fissures in the bedrock.

Return to “Chatter”