The Lotus Eaters

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Jeffstclair

Re: The Lotus Eaters

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat May 16, 2020 1:26 pm

I don't know either of these TV series .. I don't think I owned a TV in the 70s ...but who pays the ferry man is on netflix ...

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat May 16, 2020 2:30 pm

The Lotus Eaters was actually made around the old harbour in Agios Nikolaos Jeff. I am not sure if it is still there, but there use to be a taverna named after the series. It claimed the building was used for filming in the series. If you are not familiar with either series, I think you will enjoy watching them.

We had a tv in the mid 1970’s . - It was an old black and white one, given to us by our Best Man’s parents when they upgraded to a coloured one!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 16, 2020 3:43 pm

I don't remember a Lotus Eaters Taverna Maud but there was certainly a Ferryman Taverna where they claimed "Who Pays the Ferryman" was filmed. We sat and had a drink there.

We also had an old black and white TV that was given to us in 1968. We had to continuously fiddle with the vertical hold to stop the picture rotating. When our son was born at the end of 1971 we bought a second hand colour one on the assumption that we would be spending a lot less time in the pub and a lot more watching TV.

We visited Tolon for a few days in June 1993 when we were touring around Greece on a motorbike for our 25th wedding anniversary and liked it very much. Nafplio was quite interesting but stunk to high heaven near the sea so I wouldn't have wanted to stay there. Pilos on the other side of the Peloponnese was not nice at all but did have fantastic deserted beaches.

Warwick

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sat May 16, 2020 3:58 pm

“Pontoons”? “Wooden platforms”? I had to run along the very hot sand! Cor, luxury, tell kids of today and the won’t believe you!

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat May 16, 2020 6:19 pm

I have looked up Lotus Eaters in Agios Nikolaos and found this.

http://www.mjbird.org.uk/LOTUS_locations.html

I am sure it is correct.

The bar had signs all over it saying it was where the Lotus Eaters was filmed. The ‘Ferryman Taverna‘ was certainly used for filming and was also where all the film crew congregated.....as confirmed by our friend who worked on the series.

We had a night in Napflio last April Warwick. It doesn’t smell so much these days! In fact it has become quite ‘up market’ in the old part of town. One thing that was noticeable though was all the rat boxes In the narrow streets. They have obviously got a problem!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 16, 2020 10:24 pm

Sorry, I misread your post, Maud. We were talking about Elounda and I didn't notice that you said the quayside in Agios Nikolaos. The Ferryman Taverna I referred to was in Elounda. Not sure if it is still there. I haven't been down that end of the island for a very long time.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 am

Yes Warwick, the Ferryman Taverna was on the right at the bottom of the hill as you dropped down in to the village of Elounda. I must look on Google Earth to see if it is still there. Maybe someone on here from that area can tell us?

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 am

There's lots of Lotus Eaters and Ferryman on YouTube, of course.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun May 17, 2020 11:03 am

Kookla wrote:Maud, what a super idea. I second it! Bob, you must try to upload your presentation somehow. I can quite see how it would have appealed to the locals.

Forget the idea of uploading the presentation. Bob should resurrect this original and take it on tour round the island (once travel restrictions are lifted and suitable venues open). If he gets started now he should be ready by the time things are more normal. Apart from anything else it'll give the old chap something interesting to do.

How about it, Bob? I'd wager you still have the PowerPoint presentation saved somewhere.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 am

The 'Ferryman' Taverna still exists in Elounda sea front, to the right as you drop down the hill to the town centre. It is well signposted and plays very much on it's fame in the film 'Who Pays the Ferryman'.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 17, 2020 12:08 pm

Maud wrote:Yes Warwick, the Ferryman Taverna was on the right at the bottom of the hill as you dropped down in to the village of Elounda. I must look on Google Earth to see if it is still there. Maybe someone on here from that area can tell us?

From what I can remember when you come down the hill into Elounda, Maud, you get to a sort of square. There is then another narrow road/path going back the way you have come but right next to the sea, i.e. walking from the square the sea is on your left and cafés/tavernas on your right. I think the Ferryman is a little way along that road and that road isn't on street view.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun May 17, 2020 1:02 pm

That is correct Warwick. I am sure it was also accessible from the main road in to the village via step down the side of the building. I expect it would not be so easy to find these days. It was a ‘prime position‘ along the sea front there for tavernas. - I bet it is crammed with them these days.

We tended to eat at a taverna on the back of the main square, as it wasn’t so touristy. It was known locally as the wasp taverna.....and believe me it was full of them! Every table had a jar with a honey mixture on it to catch them. This happened every year! In the end even we gave up visiting, - despite the excellent food!

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:17 pm

There was a film called the moon spinners filmed in Elounda, Haley Mills, Eli Wallach.
with a Taverna of the same name opposite the hotel akti oulus.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 pm

I remember it Solitude. I am not sure how one would find it now. The Two Faces of January is another drama filmed here. It is based on a Patricia Highsmith book.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 17, 2020 8:15 pm

I think you can rent or buy both Moon Spinners and Two Faces of January from Amazon Prime. The cheapest option is to rent in SD format for 30 days for £2.49. I don't know if you also need an Amazon Prime subscription.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”