Another e-mail scam

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
johnincrete

Another e-mail scam

Postby johnincrete » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:03 pm

I received an email purporting to be from a delivery service saying that a delivery had been tried & now I needed to send 3pounds for redelivery. As I am expecting a delivery I opened the link and tried to enter my name & address. Strange, I thought, they have the delivery address otherwise they could not have tried to deliver. Then, when it came to "Country" the dropdown box only allowed "United Kingdom". I went back to the email and found it was from a company whose title included "Uk Delivery". !!!

What a scam! I bet many people, particularly those in the UK, sent 3 pounds

Kilkis

Re: Another e-mail scam

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:19 pm

With a major increase in online shopping and an obvious increase as Christmas approaches these deliver scams are proliferating. See for example this Daily Express article.

Never open links in emails, John. Go back to the original source. I think these scams mostly try to get you to enter your bank details to make the payment and as long as you haven't done that you should be OK. In some cases, however, the link sends you to an infected web site that downloads various types of malware onto your computer. Make sure your virus software is fully up-to-date, i.e. both the version and the malware dataset, and do a full scan of everything on your PC.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Strangely I got an email from Alpha Bank this morning warning about various scams. One warning paragraph was:

If you receive a message from a supposed courier company in order to make a payment for parcel receipt, while you do not expect any relevant package receipt.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Kilkis wrote:Strangely I got an email from Alpha Bank this morning warning about various scams. One warning paragraph was:

If you receive a message from a supposed courier company in order to make a payment for parcel receipt, while you do not expect any relevant package receipt.

Warwick

Not just courier companies either. I have twice received this kind of message from (allegedly) ELTA.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Not surprising. It's affecting Royal Mail in the UK.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:47 pm

Kilkis wrote:Not surprising. It's affecting Royal Mail in the UK.

Warwick

Perhaps in tune with the current season of Christmas, 'Wachet Auf'. ('Stay alert', to save any non-German speakers having to google translate) - and yes, I do know that it translates literally to 'wake up' or in the best traditions of JS Bach, 'Sleepers, Wake' .

Happy Christmas folks.

Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:32 pm

Always look at the email address of the sender, this will usually indicate that it is a scam.

Also NEVER open an attachment or click on a link if you are NOT 200% certain of who sent the mail. Best to ignore it and delete it. This week I have received 5 scam emails. Everybody is getting on the bandwagon.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE SENDER or WAS NOT EXPECTING THE MAIL DELET IT. Stay safe, much cheaper in the long run.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Return to “Chatter”