The Gig economy - what's that?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
johnincrete

The Gig economy - what's that?

Postby johnincrete » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:07 am

Yet again, it appears that there is a term in common use in certain populations that seems to be totally understood by them but has completely passed me by in its conception and definition. The term is "the gig economy".

I was listening to the BBC's World Service at 5.00 am (what an amazing array of programmes!) and two people were discussing the possible effects of Uber's decision to count its drivers as employees. Uber was said to be the typical "gig economy" company and it appears there are many companies in this economy.

Has anyone any idea what the definition of "gig economy" is?

It took me some time to understand that a gig was a performance by a group of musicians. I don't think that Uber are a band (It is still difficult to accept that a small assembly of young men can be called a "boy band" when all they do is sing - well, sort of sing!)

John

Jean

Re: The Gig economy - what's that?

Postby Jean » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:08 am

Why don't you ask Google? Here are search results for "gig economy meaning" https://www.google.com/search?q=gig+economy+meaning

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:28 am

Technically the high court ruling did not make Uber give drivers "employee" status, John. It said that they should be classed as "workers". The two terms have a different meaning when it comes to employment law.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Oh dear. I meant it as a laugh but it has been taken seriously.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:07 pm

Another Woke word? Totally meaningless.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:58 pm

The Merriam Webster dictionary has a definition for "gig economy" so not "totally" meaningless. It probably derives from the fact that many bands play "gigs", i.e. individual one off music events rather than as an employee of a company. A music venue, e.g. the back room of a pub, a rugby club with a marquee, a concert hall, the O2 arena etc, contacts the band and offers them a contract to play at a certain time, at that venue, on a certain day, for a defined period of time, in exchange for a defined fee. The band accepts the offer, does the gig and gets paid.

An Uber driver works on a similar basis. He simply logs onto the Uber App as being available for hire whenever he wants and similarly logs off. He is not contracted to be available for any specific hours. He only gets paid from the time he picks up a passenger to when he drops them off. He might be logged onto several such Apps at the same time and can pick up a passenger from whichever App offers him a passenger. Many jobs now operate on the same basis.

Uber treated its drivers as self employed which excluded them from a lot of employment law. They were not entitled to a minimum wage, sick pay, holiday pay or pension entitlement for example. A number of Uber's drivers decided to fight this classification through the courts arguing that they should be classed as employees. Eventually the High Court ruled that they should be classed as workers, which is a status between self employed and employee in employment law. Uber is only partially implementing the High Court ruling so there may be further challenges. Uber also operates a food delivery service using the same drivers essentially but they are claiming that the High Court ruling only applies to the Private Hire service not the delivery service. I think this will reverberate through many other gig economy jobs.

I wouldn't describe the term as woke. Woke is a term that applies to people who are sensitive to injustice but is now used as a pejorative term, usually directed at anybody who holds views that are different from your own. This case was a matter of making a legal judgement of how to apply employment law to a new way of working that wasn't really taken into account when the law was implemented. Some people will agree with the judgement and some people won't. Some will think it went too far and some not far enough. Personally I think judges are the best people to decide on the interpretation of the law.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:25 pm

Oh dear. I meant it as a laugh but it has been taken seriously.

You asked "Has anyone any idea what the definition of "gig economy" is?" and the title of your post is "The Gig economy - what's that?"
Obviously I didn't see the joke in it. Still don't get the joke.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:31 pm

On the subject of jokes, I heard a good one today:

A priest, a pastor and a rabbit walked in to blood donation clinic.

The nurse asked the rabbit: "What is your blood type?"

"I am probably a type O" said the rabbit.

Return to “Chatter”