Welcome to Greece - Enjoy your Hotel

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Yorgo

Welcome to Greece - Enjoy your Hotel

Postby Yorgo » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 am

Hello everyone. Just thought I would post this to see what people say, if anything.
The Greek Government have stated the following:

Greece is looking forward to very good year for tourism, probably our best year yet. We welcome everyone to Greece.
Please make sure you quarantine in your Hotel or place you are staying for the first 7 days. However, you can still enjoy a Mythos from your Hotel balcony and admire the beautiful scenery of Greece.

This is 2021 and the above is meant to be something people take seriously?? Please note the above is fact so I am not asking if you think I personally have a problem. I am being objective.

Kilkis

Re: Welcome to Greece - Enjoy your Hotel

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:07 am

At the moment everything is closed. Cafés, tavernas etc and there is compulsory quarantine. Despite that German tourists are coming now. Get things open again and will tourists come? Yes. Will it be the best year ever? No.

Warwick

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:52 am

The PM must have read my post. He ended the quarantine. Now he has just announced tavernas are opening until 23,00 hrs. LOL

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:33 am

[quote] Yorgo[
The PM must have read my post. He ended the quarantine. Now he has just announced tavernas are opening until 23,00 hrs. LOL/quote]

I do not this that this statement is correct.

Yesterday, after reading the May 03 was a possible date for opening of Bars etc, but outside only, I spoke to my local Kafenio Owner who advised me that the date is not set in stone. The decision will be made 4 or 5 days prior to the 3rd May. It will depend upon the daily infection rate.

6 months of lock down is far to long.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:13 am

I agree, Mike, it is an intention and will depend on what is happening regarding infections and especially hospitalisations. I interpret it as AFTER Pascha not before and that is more open ended.

I am not sure how they can open up tourism in any meaningful way, except all inclusive, until they open up tavernas and cafés and the intention there is 17 May. I get the impression that they intend to do that whatever is happening, although it may be restricted to some areas, so I would assume somewhere between 3 and 17 May. Crete is a problem because it is perhaps the biggest tourist destination but infection numbers are still rising here. They might be levelling off, or it might just be a pause in the rise, but there is no real sign of a fall yet.

Warwick

Howard

Postby Howard » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:07 am

A post on Apokoronas Our Home, attributed to the prime minister, says that outdoor catering will open on 3rd May. With outdoor cafes opening on that date (presumably some on beaches) does that mean that we can be on the beaches again from then? Also, has anyone seen any government statements about travel restrictions being changed - the municipality limits and the 6 reasons for travelling?

johnr

Postby johnr » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:40 am

Today Heraklion is expecting 18 plane loads to arrive, coming from Germany, Russia, Holland, Switzerland and Albania. Hope they all enjoy a Mythos on their balconies! Still I'm sure that they are all fully aware of the situation here in Crete!?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:01 pm

I would imagine that the holiday/travel companies put it front and centre in huge letters in their advertising material, John?

Warwick

johnr

Postby johnr » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Of course they have Warwick!
I certainly wouldn't want to be a holiday rep. in those hotels.
I just cannot see how with all the ingenuity in the world that they can make the trip worthwhile. If they do go home happy, hats off to the Companies/Hotels.

JR

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:34 am

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/conf ... -gdfvgxflc
Fantastic news all round Greece to take NHS paper card as vaccine passport and the pound is getting stronger all the time boosting spending money for holiday makers and ex pats and much needed income for the Greeks.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:20 am

Certainly good news for everybody involved in tourism here as well as for UK holidaymakers. It is pretty clear that vaccination is really working in the UK so it makes sense to accept some proof of vaccination, even if it isn't perfect, rather than to inhibit people from coming. With the level and rate of UK vaccination the probability of an unvaccinated person coming with a forged card gets less every day. In addition, as case numbers continue to fall in the UK, if someone with a forged card did get through the probability of them having COVID is also pretty low.

If Greece can have a vaccination certificate with a QR code, which can be electronically verified with any QR code reader, operational within days of administering the second vaccine doses I don't understand why the UK cannot do something similar? Why do they always opt for an App, which will take far longer to develop, made worse by the desire to make the App cover all the issues, i.e. vaccination, PCR test, lateral flow test etc?

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:07 pm

Kamisiana wrote:https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/confusion-over-covid-vaccine-passports-for-visiting-eu-gdfvgxflc
Fantastic news all round Greece to take NHS paper card as vaccine passport and the pound is getting stronger all the time boosting spending money for holiday makers and ex pats and much needed income for the Greeks.

I notice the pound has slumped today! Is this because of Boris and his girlfriend's bad taste in wallpaper? :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:01 pm

I don't see any real plunge? Against the Euro it has been ranging between 1.1 and 1.2 since the drop immediately after the referendum. It is currently smack bang in the middle of that range. Against the USD it has been ranging more widely from 1.2 to 1.4 over the same period and is currently near the top of that range.

Warwick

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:20 pm

Pound waiting on Scottish election results on the 6th May.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:28 pm

Kilkis wrote:
If Greece can have a vaccination certificate with a QR code, which can be electronically verified with any QR code reader, operational within days of administering the second vaccine doses I don't understand why the UK cannot do something similar? Why do they always opt for an App, which will take far longer to develop, made worse by the desire to make the App cover all the issues, i.e. vaccination, PCR test, lateral flow test etc?

Warwick

Because the British know best! I used to think that it was chiefly the USA that peddled the 'not invented here' reason, but not any more. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “Chatter”