Anyone exited about starlink internet?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Cake

Anyone exited about starlink internet?

Postby Cake » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:13 pm

This month starlink is gonna start supplying internet to greece.
Not sure this will happen this month or the next because I can't any webpage where you can get it.

Now the pricing is a bit extreme especially for greek incomes.
From what i read it is normally 100 euro's a month and a one time 500 euro for equipment.
To make things worst its gonna be 20% more expensive in greece if understood the news article correctly.
Or its gonna be 20% more expensive than greece average internet package, which i dont believe because that would be to cheap compared to the normal pricing of 100 euro. The article isn't clear about this.

Although services are expected to be about 20 percent more expensive, satellite internet would provide 100 percent coverage with speeds of up to 150MB/s.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/economy/25 ... to-greece/

So a whopping 120 euro every month or?

What are the alternatives right now at remote places with 4g reception?
I see some packages but they stink, mifi box with low amount of gb's.
I calculated to be free and careless u need about 300gb each month.
With netflix etc etc. But those packages don't exist as far as i know.

Edit:
so i found out u can have vodafone 100gb 25 euro 4g internet, works well?

steven_0

Re: Anyone exited about starlink internet?

Postby steven_0 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:40 am

Hi Cake,

Starlink will be a big help in area's where nothing is available and its a great step upwards compared to the old sat internet.
They can really do the speed they claim and no rolling caps per month. And even working in big rain storms.
It will be a killer for those who are now paying $$$ for the old sat internet systems

Most of the prices of starlink that i have seen are ex VAT as it varies per state and country.
If i understood right, the $100p/m price is during the beta test and its without VAT.

However, Vodafone also offers several packages with unlimited internet for 4g
https://www.vodafone.gr/eshop/symvolaio/c-100159/
For 55,25e a month, one could get a 10Mbit unlimited data connection and for 69,50e you get the full available speed.
You will get a small router included, but there are options for outdoor routers if the signal indoors are not good enough.
So if you are in a area that is covered well, its a good alternative.
(I recommend a online order, some shops will charge a far higher price if you walk in there)

Sometimes it would also be possible to bring internet to your location with a wireless bridge but you need clear line of sight to another location that is willing to host your physical connection. There are also some wireless providers in Greece, so depending on the location, thats also an option.
Under 3KM, a wireless link of 1Gbps is possible but expensive. As most providers do not go over 200Mbit (at the moment) the link can be a lot longer. (and cheaper hardware) +100Mbit over 7Km is possible with equipment of 350e.
A way to check if a link is possible is to use the UBNT tool https://link.ui.com/ Its a great tool to see if a link is viable.

Regarding data usage and required speeds, it varies a lot. I have seen people who are happy with 10Mbit and rarely use 100Gb, even while using netflix and other streaming options. I also have seen families that did indeed do over 300Gb but they had 3 kids and streamed/gamed almost the entire day during covid lockdown. A Playstation etc can use a lot, some games are +100GB.
For a single TV streaming HD netflix, a 5Mbit connection is enough https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
Depending on the settings of netflix an hour of streaming sd/hd varies between 1 to 3Gb per hour.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87#:~: ... HD%20video.
(I left the settings on auto, i rarely go above the 1gb per hour and looks perfect on my 55" tv)

Greets
Steve

Cake

Postby Cake » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 am

Wow, nice post with useful information.

About the vodafone deal, that is for mobiles, I don't think it is meant to provide internet to many devices. For that they have the other deals, 100gb for 25 euros which you can multiply as much as you want. Some providers are strict on that and will cut you of if they notice it.
Not 100% sure though.

That other technique is interesting but than you would need a good friend or family to run it, besides that sharing a mediocre Cretan internet connection is not on the top of my list.

The 300 gb is worst case scenario for us 2, i'll bet we won't touch 200 gb most of the time because we watch full hd stereo sound movies.

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:37 am

Hi Cake,

Vodafone offered those deals to a friend of mine who specifically took it for use in a mobile router.
Neither the shop or on the phone did they have any problems with using it inside a router.
Before they took it, i looked at a lot of fine print (also from other providers, who claim unlimited but drop the speed to less then 1Mbit after 70Gb)
Some providers might indeed put also restrictions on how you are using the card.
Tethering is rather easy to detect for a provider if you use a mobile phone, some phones even ask the provider first before allowing the setting.
The friends have been using it for several months now without any problems.

Crap landline internet greatly depends on where you are. Here, about 7km outside of Reth, the lines are stable. Besides the poweroutages..
If you want to know more about wireless, just send a private message, more easy.

Cake

Postby Cake » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:41 pm

steven_0 wrote:Hi Cake,

Vodafone offered those deals to a friend of mine who specifically took it for use in a mobile router.
Neither the shop or on the phone did they have any problems with using it inside a router.
Before they took it, i looked at a lot of fine print (also from other providers, who claim unlimited but drop the speed to less then 1Mbit after 70Gb)
Some providers might indeed put also restrictions on how you are using the card.
Tethering is rather easy to detect for a provider if you use a mobile phone, some phones even ask the provider first before allowing the setting.
The friends have been using it for several months now without any problems.

Crap landline internet greatly depends on where you are. Here, about 7km outside of Reth, the lines are stable. Besides the poweroutages..
If you want to know more about wireless, just send a private message, more easy.

Thank you for information,
So they don't mind how you use the sim but after 70gb you go back to the stone age. So it is sort of way more expensive compared to 100gb for 25 euro. The only that bugs me a little bit is the 2 year contract with that package.

The landlines are stable but upload speed is so low that u cant share it in my opinion, talking about 1mb upload speed, video-calling is causing major stress on the overall internet experience. So we don't use it anymore unless we make special time for it. But I think nowadays you have more powerful packages at some or most places. Nothing to sing about but improvement nonetheless.

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:28 pm

Cake,

The vodofone abbo's that say unlimited are really unlimited.
The 1Mbit after 70GB is about most other providers who claim unlimited but have a cap.
As far as i could figure out, vodafone was the only one without the "fine print" about caps.

For landlines, the uploadspeed depends on the package. Only the 24Mbit packages have just 1Mbit upload.
At the 100Mbit cosmote package, there is 10Mbit upload.
But i agree, its not enough, especially nowadays with so many mobiles who send stuff to the cloud.
I can really see it at the hotels, the download is more then enough but the upload is sometimes struggling.
1 location took 2 lines, just to get the upload higher. The download never went over 45-60Mbit but the upload was almost constantly hitting the max.
So he took 2*100Mbit, and uses load balancing to get 20Mbit upload.

Some hotels were in a area were only 5-10Mbit came on the dsl.. They now have 100Mbit from another location via a wireless link.
Most of the times there are solutions to a problem ;)

I hope that starlink will offer lower speeds for a lower price, like 50Mbit for 50e/m.
That would really help out some area's where there is 0 chance on a decent fixed line. The startup fee will remain high but if you have nothing else..
The latency on starlink looks really good so far, but i wonder what will happen if they get a lot more users.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:32 pm

steven_0 wrote:...The vodofone abbo's that say unlimited are really unlimited.
The 1Mbit after 70GB is about most other providers who claim unlimited but have a cap...

Are you sure that Vodafone haven't buried a cap followed by reduced speed somewhere in the fair usage policy? That seems to be a pretty common technique with mobile broadband providers.

Warwick

shine on

Postby shine on » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:23 am

Anyone have a link to the Vodafone 100GB @ €25?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 am

I have been on tooway satellite internet for 15 years ...it was the only option when we came here, It has been fine .. last year OTE at last got the new ...OTE RURAL .... up and running. So I bit the bullet and swapped . It is great, less than half the price and twice the speed of the tooway system ...and it's totally un capped ...

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:38 am

Jeffstclair, does OTE Rural require a telephone line?
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:50 am

Yeah , you need a landline ...we have had a landline for years but it was not able to support broadband only glacial slow Dial up ...so that's why we went for Tooway... The mobile signal around here is useless as well ...but with the OTE system we can do WIFI calling so I can use the mobile in the house, and that is something I have never done before ...My mobile used to live in the truck and when I went into the nearest village I got a weeks worth of messages and missed phone calls .....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:57 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:Jeffstclair, does OTE Rural require a telephone line?

There are (were?) two systems:

Cosmote Booster is for where you have a landline but it is not capable of providing reasonable broadband speeds. You get a modified version of the landline modem/router which has the capability to install a SIM. You pay for a landline broadband connection, the cheapest you can get, plus an extra €6.80 per month. That uses the SIM to give you broadband at up to 60 Mbps. It is capped at 100 GB per month after which they drop the SIM speed to 15 Mbps. I typically get 15 Mbps all the time on my 50 Mbps landline connection and I can do pretty much what I want.

The second system was similar but for the situation where you don't have a landline at all. I am not sure if it is still available but a Cosmote shop should be able to tell you.

Obviously both solutions only work if you have a decent 4G signal where you live.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:44 pm

The OTE RURAL set up that we have in this village will work without a 4G signal to boost it so I don't know how it connects .I guess they must have looped us in to the network, before this we were a spur of a spur that did not go anywhere ..They installed a large steel box in the next village with the logo OTE RURAL last year, prior to this it was just a very slow dial up connection not even good enough for email if any one in the village made a landline phone call .....Still now the only mobile signal I can use at the house with my I phone on is on "WIFI calling "...through our OTE router .. the Tooway system I had before did not support WIFI calling..

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:59 pm

I think that "OTE Rural" refers to Cosmote's programme of rolling out fibre to villages. Before installing the steel box, were they digging a narrow channel in the road? The steel box is probably an FTTC cabinet containing the fibre DSLAM equipment. Your landline connects into a DSLAM in the cabinet and from there it is fibre all the way.

The two things I discussed are completely different solutions for areas where fibre has not been rolled out.

Warwick

Cake

Postby Cake » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:19 pm

shine on wrote:Anyone have a link to the Vodafone 100GB @ €25?

Just walk in a vodafone store and ask, think its not on the website. I couldn't find it on the website.
I was skeptical at first when someone told me about the 100gb 25 euro because I couldn't find it online, only something more expensive with 40gb. So i walked in the vodofone store and asked about it, it exists.
Think you have to be resident but not sure.
2 year contract. I believe there might be a 1 year contract but more expensive.

Return to “Chatter”