Why Crete?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
jeansy

why crete

Postby jeansy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:45 pm

Well Cashey you just never know what's around the corner, so keep your hopes high and we might see you soon
Paul :)

Cashey

Postby Cashey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:07 pm

Jeansy

Thanks for your support.
Hopes will always be high.

In fact, due to what has happened to me this year, I am thinking of popping over again for ANOTHER holiday this year!
1st time in ages that I have been able to afford a holiday, so TWO in one year is a lot for me.
Thinking of October time, as I really want to get a feel for how the seasons are, not just another Shirley Valentine ya know (and boy have I got some dodgy pictures of me!), but in fact that someone that wants to go to Crete to be Greek!
Regards
Cashey

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Likewise, my wife and I are visiting Vamos on October 7th for a fortnight. :D

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Thanks for the warning.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:51 pm

MartinP wrote:Likewise, my wife and I are visiting Vamos on October 7th for a fortnight. :D

Did you pick this date to see what Crete's like in the winter?
Living in Crete!!

andheath

Postby andheath » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:40 pm

Ishall05 wrote:

Lynn, that is a leading question as you know very well that is not anything like winter. You are setting the poor man up...

Sorry I never got to Malia at Easter but you know how things go, visitors, etc. and I just forgot. It was so rude of me to not even email. I hope I can be forgiven.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:54 pm

andheath wrote:Ishall05 wrote:

Lynn, that is a leading question as you know very well that is not anything like winter. You are setting the poor man up...

:shock: Moi (or should that be mou)??? I'd never do something like that Andy, I was just asking a simple question... you know how cold it can be in October. :lol:

andheath wrote:Sorry I never got to Malia at Easter but you know how things go, visitors, etc. and I just forgot. It was so rude of me to not even email. I hope I can be forgiven.

I'll let you off!! We still managed to have a fab time and were taken to the Church service and bonfire, and then to our friends for the traditional Easter meal, followed the next afternoon by the family bbq. Nothing like being part of a Greek family!

I'm sure you'll get through to Malia at the beginning of next year and I'll show you the proper Malia! Everything crossed that we get over in January.
Living in Crete!!

andheath

Postby andheath » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Ishall05 wrote:
Shocked Moi (or should that be mou)??? I'd never do something like that Andy, I was just asking a simple question... you know how cold it can be in October. Laughing

Yes I know how cold it can be in October, so cold in fact I put my sun cream in the fridge for the good of my sake.

I still can't wait to see the real Malia or the bypass finished. Glad you enjoyed your Greek Easter, for me it was a bit etsy sketsy. We had friends staying who are JW's so the whole Easter thing was a bit sensitive. Good friends but not my "sake". Part of the reason I was so busy, touring the Island trying to avoid Easter. But there is always next year.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:52 am

lshall05 wrote:Moi (or should that be mou)??

It should be ego - εγώ.

sakes alive ... I'm doing it now, it's catching.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:16 pm

Σχολαστικός !
(pedant) :wink:

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:16 pm

To be really pedantic, it's an adjective, so "pedantic".

Lesleyvj

Postby Lesleyvj » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:11 pm

After living in Abu Dhabi / Dubai for 10 years and my partner lived in Bahrain for several years it was a cinch that we would not retire in the Uk.
We both love hot weather and outdoor living. We ‘ve travelled to many exotic places, Maldives, Hong Kong, Hawaii etc but we always loved Greece and the Greek people.
We decided several years ago that we should retire abroad but we couldn’t decide where to go as we liked so many different places. Then on day, I was having my break in work and was browsing through some websites of properties in Crete and I came across a derelict house with a bit of land and a small vineyard, looking back now, I don’t know what I was thinking. The house really was in bad condition and hadn’t been lived in for many many years. It was in a part of Crete that we hadn’t visited but Crete was definitely on our list so I booked some flights and made appointments to go and look at this property along with a few others.
When Linda & Patrizia ( our estate agents)took us to a Taverna by the lake I was awe struck at the beauty and peace, I could have easily sat there all day. Next we went to Kournas Village, the people were so friendly , on the outskirts of the village, Linda & Patrizia stopped at a donkey track, I remember scrambling up …almost on my hands and knees… and thinking they must be having a laugh, this doesn’t seem to be the place I wanted to see, then, we reached the clearing at the top of the hill and that was it, I was sold. I guess Harry and I both have vivid imaginations because we could both see the potential of this property, with the extra space for the dogs it was perfect, or would be when we finished restoring it.
That’s it we have been travelling back and forth for the last 4 years and have been made to feel so welcome. We have been very lucky in that we have made some very good friends.
The project is now completed the house restoration has gone beyond my wildest dreams, with a lot of the original features being kept.
Every time we return to Crete both Harry and I are in awe of our good fortune in not only finding the house of our dreams but to have it on an island as beautiful as Crete, we feel truly blessed and cannot wait to get over there.
Lesley

Cashey

Postby Cashey » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:41 pm

Lesley

What a fantastic story!
My niece has been in Dubai for many years and is visiting the UK at the moment, she says she is NEVER coming back, so another nail in the coffin for the UK!

I personally would be really interested to see your house, especially as before and after pictures, perhaps that would inspire me to get my old body over there.
I would also be interested to read your diary of the years (if you have one), I have read many stories of people making the move and really love the ones that work out.
Regards

Cashey

Lesleyvj

Postby Lesleyvj » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:30 pm

Thanks Cashey, if you check this link you will see te before and (some) after photos of our house. Our Estate agent asked if they could put our property on their website as an example of hte work their Stone Mason does. If you want to see more... pics, then send me you email and I'll attach some.
I have a frienn visiting from Dubai at the moment, she will never come back to the UK now, her family are quite happily settled over there. It's a totally different life, even for her children who both go the the English Speaking School. Having said that, they're all looking forward to visiting us in Crete :lol:

Lesleyvj

Postby Lesleyvj » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:32 pm

Sorry Cashey, didn't put the link in
http://www.caneaproperties.info/Renovation_images.html

When we first saw this place there was no road or access other than the donkey track :lol: and there was no roof on the back part at all of the house. I think some goats had moved in.....

We had the road put in and when we get over there we'll get the tarmac down and do it properly when all the big trucks are finished going up and down.
When we get over there we have to decide where we want to build a run for the dogs (we have 3 Japanese Akitas) then we can decide on the pool and do the landscape.
We plan to drive over wiht the dogs so that shoul dbe an adventure in itself :D
Lesley

Return to “Chatter”