Olive Picking

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
latsida

Postby latsida » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:02 am

Hi Andheath
last week the price was 1.70 but Sitia oil is the best on the island as you know so maybe the rate is better there.

only the British could anguish over density volume etc.etc. :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:28 am

Based on your figures, Andy you got 1 kg of oil from 5.2 kg of olives. This is slightly lower than the worst case value suggested by Hudson. As I suggested the yield is reported to be poor this year.

If I am correct about the density then you should need 122 litres of container to take your 111 kg take home yield. If Hudson is correct then you will need about 126. Not a big difference.

Warwick

andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:02 am

Thanks Latsida. Best in the world, but then it is not just olive oil. Ah well somebody has to live here. The quality of the oil is 0.03 apparently and I think that is good.

Warwick. I am not sure if my yield is typical for a number of factors. The trees have had nothing for two years, no water, no chemical, no food. Also it was possibly a little early for some of the fruit but I was using borrowed equipment and wanted to get it done before the kind friend needed to use it himself.

Your calculator is very good, for the record we filled a nice shiny stainless steel Ltr 50 Ltr. drum (cost 84 euro) for the kitchen, three 17 Ltr. and ten 2 Ltr. tins making a total of 21 Ltrs. The rest probably went on the floor.

The white plastic milk churns are now back at the press.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:39 pm

The quality figure, 0.03, probably refers to the acidity. The lower the better. If it really is 0.03 % then that is very high quality. I would guess that harvesting early may account for this. Commercial growers would want to wait as long as they can to increase yield but at the same time the acidity would increase.

Assuming you didn't spill any then the density works out at 0.917 which is in the normally quoted range of 0.91 to 0.92. It does depend on temperature since the liquid expands as it is heated up, i.e. volume increases, but the mass stays the same. Thus density goes down as temperature goes up. I used the bottom of the normal range to calculate the volume since I didn't want to underestimate the amount of containers you would need.

The average Greek consumes 26 litres per year so you have enough for a family of 4 with some spare to give away to FRIENDS.

Always happy to be of service to my very very good FRIEND Andy

Warwick

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:59 pm

Look forward to getting our bottle after our move in January!!! :wink: :wink:
Living in Crete!!

latsida

Postby latsida » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:43 pm

He can drop some off at Latsida on the way
I have heard Sitia olive oil travels well :P

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:16 pm

If Andy has got oil at 0.03 % it surely must be a first. Normal acidity for Sitia oil is either 0.7% or 0.3%. However, Andy does seem to do things differently to the rest of us from time to time.

Perhaps the secret is no water or fertilizer.

Andy, have you noticed how many more friends you have after the harvest :wink:

andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Hudson, I am not sure about the 0.03 but that it what I thought a friend said that was what it said on the paper. I will check with him again tomorrow.

Lynne, Latsida, Now I see you only want me for my oil.

Warwick, Your assistance, appreciated. Your being nice to me, strange. Your use of capitals, unnerves me greatly.

Not being remotely like an average Greek in the culinary sense, I am sure we will use considerable less. On the other hand, H says it feels fantastic rubbed into her skin, so who knows how much we will get through!!!

altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:56 pm

andheath wrote:On the other hand, H says it feels fantastic rubbed into her skin, so who knows how much we will get through!!!

Andy, I know we are friends, and all that, but maybe too much information???

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:32 pm

andheath wrote:

Finally.... my oil is very green and smells a lot like wet grass.

Probably tastes a bit like it too?? Freshly pressed oil is usually green and bitter - it needs a few months to mature and be worthy of using on your salads. Sounds as though H has found the best use for it just now.

andheath

Postby andheath » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:35 am

It is 0.3 sorry I was looking at the wrong number. I think that is still very good.

Only hands and feet.

Suzi & John

Postby Suzi & John » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:10 am

Hi Andy
John here. When I'm back in Sitia with my son Ross. I'm sure we can give you a hand to pick the rest of the olives. Just to say that I've done it once. Can I also just ay thanks again for helping my lovely wife Suzanne at the tax office and of course George too.

Looking forward to seeing you both next week.

Don't forget the offer above now.

Cheers
Suzi & John :)

Return to “Chatter”