Aris

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
andheath

Aris

Postby andheath » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:27 am

Hello You. My name is Aris and I am a street dog. I am only little and some people say I am like a Corgi but I have a big bushy tail that curls right over and ears, one sticks up and the other folds over, also I have a long main so some people think I am like a little Lion. Not sure how old I am but I have been living on the street a long time. V. Kornarou Street, Sitia, that is my street, I know everybody, the shoe man, the barber, the chemist and the estate agent. Life is good, some people think I need a home and sometimes I think it would be nice but I have been on the street so long I am not sure.

I have so many friends, the barber is nice, he always has food for me and he likes to rub me with his foot, I roll over for him he likes that. The lady in the chemist puts stuff on me to stop me scratching. The estate agent man has a bed for me in the back of his shop and the English woman is my special friend. The French lady with the dress shop like me a lot.

Most nights my friend takes me to Dimitris taverna, I have to be very good as some people don't think I should be there but if I stay under the table it is OK. Sometimes Dimitri or Michalis have some special meat for me, they all like me.

I don't like kids too much, you never know about them. On Friday that little fella from the cafenion annoyed me, pulling my tail, so I snapped at him, I frightened him and his dad was not too happy.

It is Saturday now and I have had a really good sleep in one of my friends shops, having a stroll about my street. These two fellas look friendly I wonder what they are after? Hey what you doing, get off me. Oh no it is that guy from the cafenion, hey get that rope off my neck, stop it, you are hurting me, please, I can't breath, this is really bad, stop it please, I can't breath, hurting, can't breath, can't breath.............................

Very sad but true. Aris died, sometime Saturday night 21st. March 2009. R.I.P. Strangled by a human being. He is sorely missed by his friends in Sitia.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

cyprusbeachchef

Postby cyprusbeachchef » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:34 am

That has made me feel sick how could thay do that to him. He was so lovely he used to make me smile as i thought about him just walking town .

Dizzy Blonde

Postby Dizzy Blonde » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:49 pm

That is just so sad, brought a real lump to my throat.

You made Aris sound such a happy dog, just like some of those I have seen in Athens and on Crete. They don't need owners, they are community dogs, owned and looked after by everyone.

I often wonder if "the dog lovers" are doing them any favours by castrating them and shipping them off to Germany as pets. It would be nice if the dogs could tell us.

Dizzy

Cashey

Postby Cashey » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:42 pm

andheath

Your post was so touching, for the 1st time in my 45 years on this planet I have become a dog owner (wish I would have done it sooner), so I am sitting here with a lump in my throat, how could anyone do such a thing?

I suppose it is up there with people that murder other human beings.

So sorry that you had to go through that.
Regards
Cashey

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:28 pm

You did'nt see it in your big heart to give the poor dog a home?
What do you think was going to happen once the dog bit the youngster in the taverna. What would happen to a dog that bit someone in the UK.
Less of the bleating in future and more action, and maybe that little dog would still be alive.

Diesel Doris

Aris

Postby Diesel Doris » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:30 am

Brian

am sure AndHeath can write for himself... but not even the biggest hearted can take in every Cretan waif and stray however loveable and however much they may want to. Besides which he said 'snapped' not bit - there is a difference.

doris

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 am

Oh dear, oh dear, what a sad person you are Brian.

I feel that your reply to andheath is way out of order.

"You did'nt see it in your big heart to give the poor dog a home?"

You do not know andheath's circumstances, nor how many dogs he has homed / helped to home.

I can only assume that, judging by the time of your post, "drink had been taken" and your judgement impaired. I also believe that something has affected both your reading and writing as

a) the post does not say the dog bit anyone

b) you didn't spell didn't correctly.
Last edited by Hudson on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Brian wrote: What do you think was going to happen once the dog bit the youngster in the taverna. What would happen to a dog that bit someone in the UK.
Less of the bleating in future and more action, and maybe that little dog would still be alive.

I agree with Hudson - you have no idea of andheath's circumstances and, having re-read his post, I can't see any "bleating" at all - far from it. He just sounds incredibly sad about what happened.

In the UK, a dog which bit a child would be put down humanely, if the severity of the bite warranted it. None of us know how serious this was, and the child had, apparently, been teasing/tormenting the dog. There is absolutely no justification for taking the life of an animal in such a cruel fashion, whatever injury has been done; there is a vet's surgery in Sitia on Saturday evening, so no excuse for not doing it humanely.

I note, Brian, that it took you a week to respond to andheath's post. Obviously this is not an issue which is high on your priority list; had that been the case you might have responded earlier. Those of us who live in Sitia and are concerned about animal welfare know how strongly andheath cares about this issue and the practical steps he takes to improve things; don't rush to judgement on matters about which you know, obviously, nothing. Aris was given a better life by people like andheath, who cared about his welfare, and that of the other street dogs. There are many people here who have taken action by adopting strays or helping to feed/look after street animals, along with the local people who are concerned, but they don't shout about it - they just do it, unlike those who feel the constant need to inform the rest of us how virtuous they are.

crete4us

Postby crete4us » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Well Said altohb.

To Brian - How big are you now? Big enough to offer an apology on the forum ?

If you want to make unfounded statements then you should be gracious and big enough to admit you were wrong ! Some how I don't think you will.

I don't know you or your circumstances, and I will not stoop as low as you by making comments about you or your life.

You are not worthy of any more of my time, only DECENT people get that !
One life - one dream - GO for it !!

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Just found this thread today.

Such a sad demise for any dog, especially one like Aris who was happily pursuing his right to freeedom with care from the occupiers of his neighbourhood. He may not have had a dedicated sole owner but was probably very content with his lot.

Any animal if teased and provoked will respond, but whatever the circumstances doesn't deserve such a cruel and cowardly end.

Kathleen

cyprusbeachchef

Facts

Postby cyprusbeachchef » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:47 pm

I have been lucky enough to meet this little dog on several occasions and he did not need one owner to look after him, as he was a true street dog and the majority of the people in Sitia cared for him etc..

Small minded people should either get to know the facts or engage their brains before they open their mouthes.

If this is not possible then have the decency to ask as this is a friendly site.

Andrew in Cyprus...

p.s. And yes we did adopt a dog from a compound last Friday & now have 3!!

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:39 pm

I would love to adopt a dog where we are but we don't have the space. Our friend wants to give us a kitten when their 'street' cat gives birth (they look after it but still don't say that it is their cat). Again we have said that we can't look after a cat.

I can understand where Andy is coming from and have seen the odd stray where we live but it is true that some would rather remain as strays than become part of a household - it's not what they know!!

I personally think that only when you've personally witnessed something so devestating can you make comment.
Living in Crete!!

andheath

Postby andheath » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:08 am

I don't think I made a comment, I don't think I condemned anyone or even suggested an opinion. I was there and it hurt. I told the story as I believe it happened. One hundred thousand times I have thought about how I could have made a difference, influenced a different outcome or done something to save the little guy.

I had no idea this would happen and the long term outcome of our life in Crete is yet to be determined. I will live here long enough to see this man destroyed, after that I really can't say.

Brian, you are very sad. I pity you.

If this happened in the UK I would report it to the Police and they would take the matter seriously, I would inform the RSPCA who would also investigate. Here in Crete where do you go? Tell me. This has nothing to do with me, it has everything to do with animal welfare, it is about all of us who love Greece and are ashamed of the attitudes that do so much damage to this wonderful country.

Many thanks to all the good people. This story is not finished.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:11 am

Ok, a few points.

"I will live here long enough to see this man destroyed, after that I really can't say".
"I don't think I condemned anyone"
"I told the story as I believe it happened".

So the above comment is the utterance of a sensible, concerned person -
methinks raki was involved, otherwise it must be a case of cabin-fever!

let me bring a little reasoning to this post.
the dog did bite the youngster.
The method of the dog's demise is pure speculation, based on second and third hand information - if not, then ah witnessed it himself, if this is the case, what action did he take? Now, he is going to see this man distroyed. Ah is going to see the alleged culprit distroyed on the basis of this speculation. what a warped attitude!
I suggest ah that you research the facts in future before imposing such an emotional burden of your fellow posters.
NB If a dog bites a child in the UK, there is no debate about the severity of said bite - the dog is put down.

moggieman

Aris

Postby moggieman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:46 am

Why not send the cafe to coventry. Hit his pocket He might then ask himself WHY.

NO AMIMAL deserves that kind of treatment.

Return to “Chatter”