Threads do sometimes wander

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
paulh

Threads do sometimes wander

Postby paulh » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:44 am

ok folks so threads do wander so what if anything do I do about it?

Move the wandering posts off to another thread or section. Then you get the "well I didn't start the thread" comeback and yes it might lose something in the move away from it's initial location. Whilst you can leave a shadow post in the original location saying where it has been moved to there is no facility to say where a thread, if moved, was moved from or even the fact that it was a moved thread at all.

Leave it alone and you get threads hijacked way out of their original context which is misleading to the person who is correctly using the Subject to gauge what the content might be and disrespectful to the person who started the original thread.

Given the absence of a shop selling magic wands which will put all things right for everybody then it will have to continue as it is where, in the main, I will tend to leave it but sometimes I may just decide to move it elsewhere. Rules as to which might apply....there aren't any....but if anyone can point to a link somewhere on the internet that details such rules I will be quite happy to read and consider them.

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:05 am

When you split a thread you could edit the first post, as admins can, on the new thread and just put a link to the topic it came from and something like "split from this thread"

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Maybe just appeal to people's better nature? Surely in a civilised community like this one it ought to be possible to ask people to do their own moderating in this respect?

Imagine you’re at a crowded dinner table where, meal over, there’s a lot of chat. You make an idle remark to somebody sitting diagonally oppostie you, they respond, and in no time you have a serous conversation going. But you’re having to shout in order to hear each other, so to make it easier to talk to the other person – and not to impose your conversation on those around you – you move over quietly to sit alongside them.

Virtual equivalent, if you realise that you’re having an interesting debate but it is off topic, is to say: “this is interesting but maybe not of interest to people who have tuned in because of the title, so I’ll continue it in a fresh thread”.

If members won't do this, then, Paul, I appreciate this is a difficult call. Personally I could have done with some hands-on moderating in the recent animal posts. Some poor woman asks for a recommendation to a vet, and suddenly we've got links to horror videos?

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:59 pm

I agree very much with the self moderation however there is one big flaw in your virtual image Clio.

As in your real world example people are having their conversation across the table before they realise that they have much more to talk about. So they move alongside and continue but their original cross table conversation is not lost.

In the electronic equivalent they may well come to the conclusion that a new thread would be better but they have no ability to split off what has gone before and so it is lost (not present) in a new thread.

Yes Assimilate if I split something I can mention the original location/thread when creating a subject for the new thread so I'll give that a go. I'm not too keen on editing or adding to another person's actual post unless there are very compelling reasons and I don't call relocating a compelling reason.

Whilst you could have done with some moderating on the animal thread and my personal opinion would agree, there are those that appreciated that it ran more or less unhindered. There are good and bad points for tight control and for free format and I'm not going to jump either way. I'll play it as I see it at the time. I have a right to be wishy-washy (but don't take that as meaning it might, even slightly, happen in the computing section)

I wonder if a section simply called "The Bucket" right down at the base of the web page where off topic posts (when considering the original subject posted) were just dumped. A mish mash with no real threads. If your personal post vanishes then you can leave it as is or go search the dump and then cut and paste back into a place where it is on topic or is a new topic......Nah I can see major flaws in that too but I am making an effort.

Maybe I should accept "sponsorship" for a particular viewpoint. Wishy-washy earns no cash but 50 euros could focus my attention on a particular course of action for 6 months or unless or until a bigger offer of "sponsorship" was offered. Multiple non conflicting sponsorships would be acceptable too. This sounds good except that a certain person who shall remain nameless but has been known to reside on a pedestal will want her 70% and then the missus will need her 50% of what is left so that too has it's flaws

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Good man Paul. It's a long way to climb down to the soap box from this pedestal, and I need the rest so I'm staying up here.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:01 pm

On the PHPBB forum that I run it's a simple matter to spilt a thread and move the "lower" part to a different folder (or the same folder) and change the title. If you can do that easily then I see no reason not to and no reason to do anything more complicated. Just entitle it SPLIT: (new title) and it will be obvious.

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:57 pm

So we can (and do) here too, we can even take say every third post in a thread and split it off. That is not the problem. The problem is to refer back to where the new thread came from originally. With splitting you can leave a shadow post saying where things went to but there is no reciprocal facility to say where they came from.

As splitting requires a new subject to be entered then it would seem to be a reasonable place to add where it had come from thus giving forward and backward trails. A method I intend to try from here on in.

Your suggestion will work within a section but is meaningless when split data has to go to a different section

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Since it will be "off topic" I don't see why you'd want to relate it to the original thread. And there aren't may sections so people can soon locate their "missing" post. I think you are crediting posters with less intelligence than they actually possess. ;)

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:40 pm

think it through

It is not individuals and their posts it is for every reader seeing a new thread appearing out of the blue, wondering what brought it on and how it came about. Not everyone reads every section.

Even though it might well have been off topic (and so relocated) it might still have relevant background to the new thread in the original thread. (Having common background does not mean threads follow the same direction)

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:04 am

But if the title begins with "SPLIT:" as I suggested, the reason for its (separate) existence will be obvious. As for the rest, it can all be accommodated but means more work for you. :)

Return to “Chatter”