Whats the weather like where you live ?

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:43 pm

Where I live (Ireland) there has been five days of mostly torrential rain and parts of Belfast are under six feet of water with some roads impassable.The storm drains in a lot of low lying areas have not been able to take the water away in low lying areas resulting in water and sewerage flooding many homes.I am sitting in my study at this time and as I look out the window the sky is black and its still pouring. I have a bucket beside me catching drips from an unexpected leak.

Roll on September when we will arrive in sunny warm Crete 8) Ken.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:12 pm

It's dry in London at the moment. Bit of a breeze on the balcony (we're on the 5th floor).

No doubt it'll rain at some point but it's not been raining as much as the north.
Living in Crete!!

katharine

Postby katharine » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:35 pm

In the southern end of the West Midlands it began raining late on Thursday afternoon and rained all night. Because I had to get up very very early to get a flight to Scotland, something in my brain told me that it would be a good idea to stay awake for most of the night and listen to it and to worry about how flooding might afffect my day. Conducted business in Edinburgh in a total trance all day. Back to the airport to find that return flights to Birmingham were in chaos due to weather conditions and flooding. Got home very very early this morning. Still raining off and on.
Please will someone in Crete describe a blue sky and sunshine to sheer me up.
Katharine.

baccybabs

Postby baccybabs » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Katherine - - there is a wonderful blue cloudless sky here in Crete and its HOT HOT HOT .....!!!!! (you cheered up now :D ? )

Nita

Postby Nita » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:02 pm

Have read the reports and seen pictures of the flooding in the UK on the BBC News website - the joys of a British summer! I clearly remember some years ago similar weather conditions and the misery that goes with it.

Yes, Katharine it's wall-to-wall sunshine here, around 32 deg with a very pleasant light breeze and, of course, beautiful clear blue skies. On the downside the mosquitoes have been very active the last few evenings and boy do they love me.

Keep smiling whatever the weather throws at you.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:23 pm

katharine wrote:Please will someone in Crete describe a blue sky and sunshine to sheer me up.
Katharine.
Hello Katharine,

Near Kalyves right now it's brilliant sunshine, a few high clouds in the distance (unusual for mid-June) and the temperature's about 35C. I'm not sure why knowing that will cheer you up; if I was where you are it would just make me jealous.

Kenny wrote:The storm drains in a lot of low lying areas have not been able to take the water away in low lying areas
Heavy rain here tends to make a storm in the UK seem like a shower. In the heavy rain last October the force of the water in the Xania storm drains blew manhole covers into the air and cars were washed into the sea. Our steps became a waterfall with the water flowing so fast from each step that it was only just catching the edge of the step below it - and the treads are over 40cm wide.

Kenny wrote:Roll on September when we will arrive in sunny warm Crete Ken.
Don't put too much money on that, Ken. It often rains a bit in September and four years ago a friend's outdoor birthday party on Sept 10 was ruined because it got so cold and damp at about 9:30 pm that people had to leave (the house wasn't big enough to hold all the 200 guests).

In 2003 it started to rain on Jan 25th and continued until mid March. I kept a record and there were only three days in February without rain. Admittedly it was the worst on record for 84 years but we got three years' worth in about 6.5 weeks. A Greek friend living on the south coast reported that they were on the receiving end of 126cm of rain compared with the usual 40cm.

It's not always warm and sunny.

Filippos.

Pam in Crouch End

Postby Pam in Crouch End » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 pm

Here in North London, we have a thunderstorm and torrential rain, giving my washing (which was drying nicely) a rain-water rinse and one of our cats is hiding under the stairs. Never mind I've just booked flights to Crete in late September.

Pam
Pam & Bob

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Look on the bright side here in UK....perhaps those regions which are prone to their imposition may avoid a hosepipe ban later in the year following the wet weather.

At last, the cricket has managed to get started, England against the West Indies at Chester le Street today, though despite being warm it is still very cloudy.

Mind you I am still looking forward to my next fix of Cretan sunshine at the end of the week 8)

Ros21

Postby Ros21 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm in south west London & a couple of hours ago we had a few loud rolls of thunder. Then the rain descended. It's since been very heavy rain interspersed by sunshine!!!

It's confusing the hell out of my cat, as soon as the sun comes out she pops into the garden & then hightails it back in as the rain comes down again.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:14 pm

Kenny wrote:Roll on September when we will arrive in sunny warm Crete Ken.
Don't put too much money on that, Ken. It often rains a bit in September and four years ago a friend's outdoor birthday party on Sept 10 was ruined because it got so cold and damp at about 9:30 pm that people had to leave (the house wasn't big enough to hold all the 200 guests).

In 2003 it started to rain on Jan 25th and continued until mid March. I Filippos.[/quote]

I don't know Filippos if you have been to N. Ireland but it normally is more often raining than not.If we get two or three weeks sun in the summer thats it and we count ourselves lucky.At least in Crete when the forecast says fine and sunny it usually means that.Here no matter what the forecast says when you try to do an outside job for sure it will rain.

I think May and I will suffer Crete okay especially in the South East. Ken.

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:16 pm

Why are the British so fascinated about the weather?

Even when they no longer live in the UK they seem to have this urge to know.

Seems to me that Brits abroad are obsessed with two things - the weather and, to put it delicately, the workings of their stomachs.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:33 pm

What an incredibly fascinating subject!

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:59 pm

Jean wrote:

What an incredibly fascinating subject!

Just idle chatter Jean :wink: Feel free to choose another one :lol: Ken.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:06 pm

[quote="Hudson"]Why are the British so fascinated about the weather?

Even when they no longer live in the UK they seem to have this urge to know.

Unfortunately for now I still live in the UK but it could be habit. The weather in UK is so diverse or unpredictable that no matter what you try to do outdoors will be determined to a large degree by the weather.

I suppose even when you no longer live in the UK old habits die hard. Ken.

andheath

Postby andheath » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:24 pm

Just come in from the garden as the sun is now setting and the Bar-B-Q is just glowing embers at the end of yet another glorious day in Scotland.

Return to “Chatter”