Meteor Shower

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Kilkis

Meteor Shower

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:09 pm

Anybody interested in astronomy, there should be a strong meteor shower this weekend. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6940962.stm Skies over Crete should be pretty clear.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Good of you to remind those who don't know or might have forgotten.

Going to good place to watch it is almost an annual ritual for me.
So where will you go to watch them?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:56 pm

A couple of weeks ago I had promised someone that I would look up the dates of some major showers since they had never experienced one. Being a bit geriatric I had completely forgotten when I suddenly saw the BBC article on the Perseids. I know a few people on this and other fora had expressed an interest in Astronomy so I thought I would post it.

I think I'm going to be lazy this year, Jean, and simply go on the roof of our house. We're on the edge of a village so not ideal but could be worse. At least the chance of a clear sky is high, which is more than you can usually say in the UK. Some light pollution but not as bad as most of the places I have lived in the UK.

Out of interest, do you intend to take a long time exposure photograph to try to record the radials? Have you ever attempted this in the past?

Warwick

PS It's a bit late for this year but there is a full list of showers at http://www.theastronomer.org/forthcoming_meteors.html It looks like conditions should also be good, i.e. New Moon, for the Geminids in December.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:27 pm

I am planning to go somewhere a little darker than Kalathas (quite a lot of light pollution from this horrible bunch of new houses on the way up to Horafakia). Probably Tavri or Niato plateau above Askyfou.

I have never tried long time exposure of stars, probably because until recently I didn't have a decent tripod. But now that you gave me the idea I might try.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:50 pm

Grrrrrrrr!!!

Would have been brilliant on our roof terrace tomorrow night but we are not over till Tuesday. The wretched weather has changed again (for the worse, of course) here in the Northeast, and we have had thick cloud cover today with rain forecast over the rest of the weekend.

Enjoy!
Kathleen

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:04 pm

Sitting on my balcony at 3a.m this morning having a nightcap after a night out and star gazing, I spotted Mars as the red dot and a faint constellation above it (Perseus?). Just minutes after settling on the balcony there was a short power cut in the area - complete darkness and the sky was absolutely amazing. I was also rewarded with a few small shooting stars, and I'm looking forward to tonight when it should be even better.

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Went outside after midnight last night as the sky was clear just in case there were some shooting stars. sadly none to be seen. Shall try again tonight although the weather forecast is not so good for later on in the day - supposed to get cloudy :-(

Will climb to the top of the hill behind the house as, hopefully, the light pollution will be less. Keep fingers crossed that the sky is clear. Must say I do miss coming home from a good evening meal out and collapsing on a lounger by the pool and just gazing up at the amazing star scape above. Fell asleep out there a few times too. You can't do that here, even if it's been hot and sunny during the day it gets cold and damp at night. Brrrr.

Nita

Postby Nita » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:25 am

Thanks for the info Warwick. Managed to get down to the beach last night, found a suitably dark spot, laid back, looked skyward and was quickly rewarded by a few shooting stars - my first meteor shower! Didn't stay long as, after a full day working and no siesta, I could feel myself nodding off.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:48 am

Sat in the garden from 22.30 until 11.40, when I was driven in by the cold. It was freezing!! Saw eight meteors in total since the predicted cloud did not materialise. The stars generally were very bright and clear.

The forecast for Tuesday is a severe weather warning, lashing rain and wind, expected to be more like October due to the fronts coming in from the Atlantic. Glad I shall be in Crete by then!

Kathleen

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Managed to see 2 very bright and one faint meteor between 22.30 and 00. 30 CET, before the weather turned nasty. Couldn't sleep for the torrential rain pounding on the roof and the heavenly pyrotechnics! Yawn.

Return to “Chatter”