Effects of the Greek economic crisis on Crete

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Effects of the Greek economic crisis on Crete

Postby Carolina » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 am

Walking through Chania town centre yesterday, it seems there are more and more empty shops by the day. Quite sad, some of these shops had been there for years.

I took a few pictures; see the blog post

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:05 am

Yes, and the immediate knock-on effect is that the property owner gets no rent and the government gets less tax.

The shoe shop in Georgioupolis had to close through lack of customers. It's happening everywhere. Previously, they made enough money in summer to see them through the slack winter period, but not any more.

Reg

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 pm

It's just the same in the UK. Many town centres and local shopping parades have very high vacancy rates and many unit shops will never be let again. Underlying it's driven by people's desire / need for cheaper products, which allows the large chains and on-line vendors to prosper. Most of us feel sad about it, but then order something on the internet or (if in the UK) do our weekly shopping in Tesco rather than at the friendly local shop.

Crete seems to me to have a delightful retail network with many little mini-marts and other shops with friendly owners (long may it last), but sadly I think the trend to a more "efficient" system is evident.

Ela

Postby Ela » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 am

It may be more prevalent in areas that are hit by the economic crisis, but it is happening everywhere.
The need for cheaper products cannot be the answer. Let's stop this before it is too late - small businesses, especially specialty stores, can provide something that is better than online shopping or shopping at the mall. I'd rather pay a little more and keep the small guy going. Vote with your wallet!

altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 am

Ela wrote:It may be more prevalent in areas that are hit by the economic crisis, but it is happening everywhere.
The need for cheaper products cannot be the answer. Let's stop this before it is too late - small businesses, especially specialty stores, can provide something that is better than online shopping or shopping at the mall. I'd rather pay a little more and keep the small guy going. Vote with your wallet!

I agree, in principle, but those of us who have been hammered by Greek tax rises & other increased costs have no choice but to look for cheaper products.

Stuart & Jo

Postby Stuart & Jo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:24 am

Jo & I used to run a village store, almost by accident we started selling British food products online via eBay.

Within a year we also started our own website to run alongside eBay and we gave up the village store.

In the past 2 years we have seen a massive increase in customers from all over the world buying from us online.

We have 2 young children (8&6) they have no interest in going into Norwich city centre, they both go online to research what they want and they find the best price and we then place the order for them!

I think that online shopping is the way our children’s generation will go.

Ela

Postby Ela » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 am

Stuart & Jo wrote:
I think that online shopping is the way our children’s generation will go.

I am totally convinced that people's shopping habits are changing, especially of the young folk. As a 'middle-aged' woman, I also do my fair share at online shopping. Electronics, parts, even books are readily available online.
But groceries? Coats, shoes, eyeglasses? Anything that requires advice or trying out - I appreciate a shop I can walk into.
Not to mention the social aspect of shopping - I value face-to-face interaction and a friendly face.

Roussa

Postby Roussa » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:32 pm

I admit that I´ve changed my shopping habits during the last months.When I came here last year, we went to many local shops and tried to get the things we wanted. Long delivery times and wrong items :cry:
Just recently I got some wrong items delivered from a shop in Athens. And the shop is not willing to exchange for what I ordered without new delivery costs and me organising the transport.
Now that I order everything online in Germany or the UK, I get it faster and cheaper.

Brian c

Postby Brian c » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:00 pm

To be fair its the same probably all over Europe with shops closing. I am still in Scotland and every retail type shopping area that I have visited recently has many closed shops ..... i.e. jessops, comet etc but a lot of the smaller shops also, it is sad but as has been mentioned, peoples shopping habits are changing. Try finding a shoe shop on the high street these days that sells product other than what the kids want ...I to ended up buying on the internet.

I dont know any details of shop rates in Greece but in British high streets the rates are ridiculous, when the local authorities realise a lot of the shops are empty with no income then they may take action .....probably end up with a high street full of charity shops.

p.s. booked up for 3 breaks in Crete already and first one is in Chania in the west ...first time in the west for me so particularly looking forward to it.
dont sweat the small things

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Yeah , We buy the things we need from local traders as much as possible, food and the weekly stuff, in our village we get a fish man , bread man, fruit and veg, milk and cheese , and they come every week . I think that they will make living in an out of the way place possible in years to come when in my 80's maybe I don't or can't have a car and drive to a supermarket
As a young man I lived in rural suffolk and I saw the death of villages were you could buy a Queen Ann dresser ,but not a loaf of bread and a pint of milk...... jeff.... lets not screw it it up here as well.. eh

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:07 am

Jeffstclair wrote:.... lets not screw it it up here as well.. eh
Unfortunately, Jeff, I suspect that, hard as we might try, we'll have b*gger all influence because, amongst other things, we're a pretty small proportion of the population.

We use local shops as much as possible. In 10+ years we've been to Lidl three times and the only thing bought was a 'bargain' pack of men's knickers - 7 pairs for €4. Champion/Carrefour, maybe, six visits with total spend €60ish, Halkiadakis about the same; AB Vasilopoulos once when I bought 3xT-shirt @ €1.99 each. We go to the village IN.KA about once a month for stuff like washing powders and other fairly bulky stuff (one of the fairly rare times we use the car) and my weakness - strong English Cheddar which we can't get elsewhere. Just about all else for living is bought locally.

90% of my clothes are bought in Xania - not that I buy many. Our computers were built locally but I do buy camera gear and computer peripherals on the Internet as, generally I can't find what I want here. I've also bought things like walking or running shoes when in the UK or on the internet as I can't find a shop with a decent selection of footwear big enough to fit my size 11½ barges. Oh, and Kindle books and the occasional paperback from Amazon.

Then, in IN.KA I look in the shopping trolleys of other foreigners, including British, and local Cretans and I could well be in Tesco. Sadly, in the current economic situation an awful lot of people need cheap food and think, often mistakenly in my view, that it's to be found in the big supermarkets.

I suspect a few tavernas will soon be empty premises if our experience of last night continues. On our way to a normally very busy taverna which was, maybe 20% full by 20:30, we passed three others that, between them had not one customer. Even the souvlaki shop seemed to be doing only about 50% of its normal trade.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 am

filippos wrote:
I suspect a few tavernas will soon be empty premises if our experience of last night continues. On our way to a normally very busy taverna which was, maybe 20% full by 20:30, we passed three others that, between them had not one customer. Even the souvlaki shop seemed to be doing only about 50% of its normal trade.

Yet the word is that 4 new ones are opening in Almyrida this coming season! One has certainly been built already.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 am

A couple* of points, Bob.

There are always some spots that are 'hotter' than others and I think Almyrida might be one of those although a Greek friend, who knows the place - and many of the business owners - well, says that although it seems very busy during the season many visitors don't spend much.

How many times have we seen one business close and another to spring up in its place only to close a year or two later.

The more businesses that open in a similar trade the thinner the gravy.

* That's a South African couple: any number greater than one.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 pm

* That's a South African couple: any number greater than one.
Is that as in, " I only had a couple a beers honest hic!"....jeff...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:35 pm

filippos wrote:...I've also bought things like walking or running shoes when in the UK or on the internet as I can't find a shop with a decent selection of footwear big enough to fit my size 11½ barges...

Try finding them when your feet are size 13!

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”