Politicians

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:18 pm

George
I presume this was at the ambulance station, surely they have someone there with a higher than room temperature IQ.
I can't believe it was out on call, or they wouldn't have bothered about it.
Can you imagine all the headlines if the newspapers had found out, if it was in service at the time, or even if it was unavailable for emergency call outs until the bulb was replaced
Personally if it was me and no-one was around I would have done it myself.

George

Postby George » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Yes it was in the ambulance station, and the vehicle was off the road because of this defect. Very few companies actually own their fleet nowadays, they are nearly all on lease agreements. The lease companies dictate everything concerning repairs and servicing. We had a delivery van off the road for 3 weeks waiting for the leasing company to make a decision on light bulbs. If we replace them using common sense, then the company will not pay us and may give the contract to someone else.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:05 pm

I'd guess it's more to do with the 'sue at the drop of a hat' mentality that seems to have engulfed the UK, exacerbated by 'no win, no fee' legal practise.

Example? A supermarket employed a clown to perform at the opening of a new store. He was not allowed to blow bubbles with one of the little rings from a small pot of soapy liquid because the floor might get wet, somebody might slip, injure themselves and sue. He wasn't allowed to make animals, etc., by twisting balloons together because a staff member or customer (especially a child) might suffer from a latex allergy.

The supermarket's insurers refused to cover the 'risk'.

So truck drivers handling heavy wheels, possibly at roadside, or even straining to remove a wheel from a light van, using a small wheelbrace on power tightened nuts might pull a muscle and sue.

A police officer, perfectly willing to take the risk of jumping into water to rescue someone, drowns so the family sue, etc., etc.

The courts don't help by awarding damages for injuries self-inflicted by stupidity. Man get home (to council house) drunk after, allegedly 10-12 pints. Light over stairs doesn't work so gets ladder and attempts to change bulb. Falls, breaks leg, sues council because light is in an inaccessible place. Court awards £20K damages, reduced by 50% because bloke contributed to the accident through his drunkenness. You couldn't make it up.

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Filippos
Another reason why I moved here :lol:

Return to “Chatter”